Notices

Thanks for SR

Old 03-24-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks for SR

Been lurking here for almost a year but finally registered today.After having been a heavy drinker for 15 years, I'm 44 now, I made decision to quit cold turkey June last year and I've been sober since. Life is so much better sober in every way. I didn't get in trouble with the law while drinking but my work suffered. Now 9 months later I've gotten a bonus, a raise and soon getting promoted. Thanks to all active members whose posts are helping in my recovery.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Congratulations on the sober time, share your experiences with others so that it might help them get sober.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. !! And congratulations on 9 months !!
I identify with you. I'm 45 and also was drinking for the last 15 years.
Quit cold turkey 20 days ago. And feeling very Good!!.
Please share with us some tips that have helped you to stay sober.
THANKS!!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, SodBuster!

Congratulations on 9 months.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Congrats on your sober time.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cerati73 View Post
Welcome to SR. !! And congratulations on 9 months !!
I identify with you. I'm 45 and also was drinking for the last 15 years.
Quit cold turkey 20 days ago. And feeling very Good!!.
Please share with us some tips that have helped you to stay sober.
THANKS!!
Hi Cerati73, Thanks. Just like you I felt very good the first month. Next 3 months or so I craved the poison but never gave in. Staying hydrated was key. I gave in to sugar cravings and drank lots of tea, powerade and water. To this day I will not allow myself anywhere near alcohol. Most important for me was reading SR and avoiding the pit falls that lead to relapses. I have just started losing weight and everyone says how good I look! Good luck in your journey towards sobriety.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work sodbuster. I’m about 55 days myself. Today was a day. First time in many years I still had some money to take the family out to do some fun things. Before I spend any extra money on booze.
Stay sober buddy
Old 03-24-2018, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Excellent! What a wonderful, encouraging post. So glad things are going so well for you. SR is an incredible place. I too lurked for years. And now am only about one month ahead of you.

Welcome and glad you posted!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Welcome to SR!

Congratulations on the sober time, share your experiences with others so that it might help them get sober.
Thanks Zebra1275. Whenever cravings hit, I found it helps to read the experiences of those who relapsed. Most common thread is they thought they could handle just 1 but it almost always ended in a bender and they felt horrible after. Those stories always reminded it's not worth it. SR has people who post honestly and express raw emotions.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tomtj View Post
Keep up the good work sodbuster. I’m about 55 days myself. Today was a day. First time in many years I still had some money to take the family out to do some fun things. Before I spend any extra money on booze.
Stay sober buddy
Taking it one day at a time is important early in recovery. I too find myself with time and money that I didn't know I had. Keep it up Tomtj;6835915!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SodBuster View Post
Hi Cerati73, Thanks. Just like you I felt very good the first month. Next 3 months or so I craved the poison but never gave in. Staying hydrated was key. I gave in to sugar cravings and drank lots of tea, powerade and water. To this day I will not allow myself anywhere near alcohol. Most important for me was reading SR and avoiding the pit falls that lead to relapses. I have just started losing weight and everyone says how good I look! Good luck in your journey towards sobriety.
THANKS SodBuster!!. I have a plan that includes hydrating a lot. I don't like mineral water but found another type that uses electrolytes that enhances the flavor: " smart water". Also including unsweet iced tea and zero calories powerade. I agree with you that this helps a lot !!.
Everyone in this battle against alcohol needs to keep fighting, no matter how long been sober.
Man, if you are doing it, yes, I can too !!. You are an inspiration !!
THANKS for the advice!!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah and congrats on your sobriety!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Celebrated freedom in more ways than one. I never thought this would be possible but i just completed a year sober and looking forward to the next year. Thanks to all the wonderful people who encouraged me and those who share. To those starting out, my advice is stay focused and fight one battle at a time so don't start out by becoming a health nut. My first 3 months i ate ice cream and drank coke everyday. But that phase ended now its just tea. Second piece of advice is keep busy. I slept a lot in the beginning but then i found myself with a lot of time. I decided to buy a used road bike, little did i know how much i would enjoy this fun hobby. This is what has worked for me so far but everyone's journey is different.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats terrific sodbuster - congrats!

D
Old 07-05-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Was lucky my first year off the poison , ...like you , to discover how much fun riding a bike can be .

Congrats on your important milestone SodBuster !!

Old 07-05-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

Congratulations on a year sodbuster. I like your advice on not going overboard on becoming a health nut. I get discouraged because I'm overeating and gaining weight, when I expected to lose it from not consuming those empty calories. I'm hopeful my phase will pass too. Your post inspired me.