Notices

Realization

Old 03-24-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realization

I told my family that I drink and it's just dawning on me how scary this actually is. Sure, I'm on my second day sober and I do want to change, I really do. I hate who I become when I'm drinking and I hate my life when I am but I don't know if I'm strong enough to actually do this. I keep telling myself "I'm only 20, 20 year olds are suppose to drink too much," but then I realize I'm drinking about a pint or two of vodka every night by myself in my room and that's not healthy, that's not okay. I just don't know if I actually can do this and as I write this, all I'm thinking about is getting a drink. There is nothing in my house right now, my mom moved her stash to her car so there is no one to discreetly get to it. I guess I'm just feeling lost and lonely. I need to find sober people around my age I guess.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jess, you are not on your own. You are right that drinking like you are is not ok but you have taken a big step recognising that and you can kick this. So have so much ahead of you to look forward to. You CAN do this!!! 😎
Old 03-24-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jess, Welcome and good job on Day 2!

It's normal to feel scared when you are stopping drinking. I know I didn't imagine I could make it through a day without alcohol. But, that's the way the disease works. It needs you to believe you're stuck. But you aren't and you've made the choice to live a sober life.

Getting out and meeting sober people your own age is a great idea. Take a look around your community and see what you can do. Volunteering is a great way to give back and to meet people.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jess,

I'm new at this too.

The last couple of days including today have been high 'danger' days for me. I found visiting here often throughout the day really helped to keep my mind in the right frame, so I could more easily shut down all the justifications I come up with to drink.

I reckon it is impossible to beat your own mind in an argument about whether it's ok to drink today or not, so don't try to reason with it. As soon as you feel that urge, just come here and re focus your mind.

Read and write here, it doesn't matter if people respond or not, it really is one of the best ways to distract yourself while that urge rises then falls....and it will fall...quicker than you think. It will happen multiple times through the day though...just keep coming back.

Also, I have found that journaling helps a LOT. Get all that crap out of your head and in writing, then you can examine it and start to make sense of it.

Good luck
Old 03-24-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just because you're young doesn't mean you have to drink. Life is so much better sober.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's success in support Jess - you're not alone, and you don't have to be - plenty of support here & in other places like AA, SMART, and LifeRing etc

D