Notices

AA seems to be working

Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I am AA recovered too. Sorry you are copping the war stories. We are not really supposed to do that in our meetings. It can get tiresome and is often very difficult to relate to.

The best aspect of the meetings was that I met someone who knew precisely what I needed to do to recover, and was willing to help me do it. Nearly all of that was done away from the meetings.

You can recognise such folk by what they talk about. They offer hope intheir sharing, they talk about what they did to reocver, and the kind of benefits and positive stuff that has come from working the steps. They seem more interested in helping others that talking about past dramas. If you find one of them, you will find out what AA is really about. It is a heck f a lot more than meetings and war stories. Good luck Sweetichick.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i was getting tired of hearing the horror/war stories at one time. mentioned it to the man that became my 1st sponsor after a particular meeting where it seemed there was a LOT of war/horror stories. he said,"tom, im thinkin ya didnt listen to all of what those folks said. i heard the war stories too. i heard them share what they used to be like. but then i also heard what happened and what its like now after that."
after that, i started listening better. he was right. not ALL of the people shared what happened and what its like now, but the majority did.

it works if ya work it so work it youre worth it!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am happy to hear you are doing better and attending meetings!