Notices

Now...

Old 03-23-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Now...

A friend was asking me if I still struggle when people around me drink...and the answer is No. I said:

Imagine being a kid at a party and the main attraction is a bouncy castle..but you have a broken toe and can't go into the super fun bouncy castle with your friends. You longingly watch your friends have a blast and curse your toe and feel sorry for yourself. Now imagine you're an adult, relaxing with your feet up and enjoying a quiet afternoon with the sun on your face and peace all around you.....and you hear the crazy screams of kids in a bouncy castle....the chaos!!!!....and you're told you can't go in because of your broken toe....youre reaction? Good! That's the last place I wanna be! I'm happy with my peace and quiet. You look at your precious little toe and say 'Thanks Little Guy'.

That's how it is now....I don't have to be away from booze to not want it...I don't want it because I don't want it.

I never believed in a million years that I would get to that place. The best I hoped for was to be able to just STOP drinking...I was overwhelmed with gratitude when I was finally able to stay sober....it took a LOT of work. But you don't get to the place I've described with sobriety.....it comes from Recovery....everyday recovery. Stepping it up when you feel something lacking inside you. That's what I'm doing now. I have 2 yrs of sobriety. 2 yrs of recovery. And now I need more....I need to share my recovery.....give and receive with others going through the same.

Don't drink...do whatever it takes to not drink. Stay connected. Ask for help. And always work on yourself. That's how the bouncy castle goes from looking like the funnest place on earth to pure chaos that you want nothing to do with.

RaRa
Old 03-23-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
under new management

10/10 post, rahrah!

I love the broken toe/bouncy castle/kid/adult analogy

I, too, am so grateful to have the insanity behind me!

And congrats on 2 years!

Old 03-23-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a brilliant analogy rahrah!!

I'm early days but so far I've gotten over the initial struggle. This attempt at sobriety does seem different, I really seem a lot more focused and willing to put the effort in.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I enjoyed that read rahrah,
Going to use that one day if you don’t mind.

You’re right, everyday is a school day. Always learning. It’s healthy & stops you from stagnating.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post! I love the analogy.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Originally Posted by Zombie79 View Post
I really seem a lot more focused and willing to put the effort in.
Good for you...don't lose your grasp on focus and willingness. Willingness is half the battle!!!
Old 03-23-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rahrah View Post
Good for you...don't lose your grasp on focus and willingness. Willingness is half the battle!!!
Thanks rahrah!
This week I've got up everyday before work and made a cooked breakfast and washed up too (please note, I don't own a dishwasher and washing dishes is a major peeve of mine!)
It's really helped set me up for the day and feel good that I'm making an effort, I'm trying to treat myself a bit better and investing time in me.
Coming to an end of day 11 and I can hand on heart say- this is way better than being drunk, being annoyed and generally in a hate the world mood. I'm going to bed to get some sleep, night everyone and have a great start to the weekend!
Old 03-23-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's awesome!

I hope I can get to the point where I can be around people drinking someday.

If it's just my wife at home it doesn't bother me but if I'm someplace where everyone I see has a drink in their hand it drives me insane.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

tekink....
I was absolutely like that too....obsessed....it was so gruelling! But...as time went on....it got easier. I used to hate when people told me that...I wanted it easier NOW! But...like anything else...tolerance needs time to grow. Do whatever it takes in the meantime and it WILL get easier bit by bit.
Soooooo worth it.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Zombie...
One of the most useful things I did early in my sobriety was stick to a few routines...even if I had a day off, I forced myself to have a hot shower and get dressed...I made sure certain chores were done before I went to bed...that way at night I could feel as though I was in control of a few things...every day made me feel better. I found it really helpful to make sure I could SEE accomplishments everyday...even if it was small chores...it made me feel capable of doing more.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm trying to do that, I know people may read the previous post of mine and think- making breakfast,pfft, that's not a lot of effort- but in comparison to me hungover, it's miles away.
If I'd been drinking the night before my morning routine was- keep hitting the snooze button until the latest possible time. Feed the dog, get a glass of water/coffee to try sober up more, get the latest bus to get into work.
The past 11days it's been : up between 6-6.30am, get dressed, walk the dog before 7am, feed dog, make an omelette with bacon and mushrooms, wash dishes whilst listening to music (George Michaels"too funky" is one of the best songs to wash dishes to...)
But yes, when I'm off- like today, I'll still do the same pattern as my working day in the morning:-)
Old 03-24-2018, 12:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

spot on

D