Notices

Physical Symptoms

Old 03-23-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical Symptoms

I found this forum because, alongside other symptoms, I was starting to panic about my flushing. I think it became such a “norm” for me that it was under the radar. The worse it got I started getting questioned on it here and there. A co-worker would always ask if I was mad/stressed. That’s good for the anxiety, right?! hah!

When I would try to slow down or stop, I would panic that something was permanently wrong, that “self-diagnosis disaster”. I always knew flushing could occur while drinking, but it would be the next day or two and I was freaking out because it was still there.

I noticed a significant reduction when I did my 16 days, and now I’m on day 3 and look much more “normal” consistently than I did Wednesday and I know it will get better each day.

But I mean, in general, I definitely have the puffiness going, I don’t like how my skin looks overall, I think I’m pretty dried out. I drink a fair amount of water but the alcohol can prevent the body from getting proper nutrition/hydration, I get minor palps that also subsided on my last 16 day run.

Can anyone deeper into recovery share some personal stories of physical symptoms you experienced, worried over, but ultimately subsided with time?!

Happy to be here. The next times I have an urge to break, I’m logging in... can’t believe it’s taken me so long to find a community like this!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you have answered your own questions. Stop drinking the physical symptoms go away. Drink again they come back. Want them to go away permanently? Quit drinking permanently.

I too get puffy and red when drinking. I also get horrible gastric problems. I get gassy as all get out, with terrible gas pains, nausea, and dry retching. It also feels like my liver is swollen.

I quit Sunday evening and the gas issues have resolved, and my normal skin tone is coming back. Physically I feel pretty well.

Again, it is simple. Quit drinking and all that stuff goes away.

Oh, and welcome to SR! Great community here.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
I think you have answered your own questions? Stop drinking the physical symptoms go away. Drink again they come back. Want them to go away permanently? Quit drinking permanently.

I too get puffy and red when drinking. I also get horrible gastric problems. I get gassy as all get out, with terrible gas pains, nausea, and dry retching. It also feels like my liver is swollen.

I quit Sunday evening and the gas issues have resolved, and my normal skin tone is coming back. Physically I feel pretty well.

Again, it is simple. Quit drinking and all that stuff goes away.

Oh, and welcome to SR! Great community here.
Thanks Horn, I totally get that premise!

I just meant, for a hypochondriac who has spent the last couple months overanalizying every inch of his body, convinced he had no hope left because of these physical symtoms, it’s all over, irreversible, it was reassuring to hear these things from people. “Oh, it can get better”.

I will obviously be seeing a doctor too, but I would look at my flushing, feel the paps and convince myself I was going to have a heart attack at 33! 😦
Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome here BiggerReason.

I'm on the same page as you are, day 4 here again after relapse. Im also 33 and get flushed when I use, especially around my cheek bones. And it gets worse the longer the relapse. Just like you the flushing usually goes away within a week during my sober period. Usually have shaky hands during first few days of staying away from drinking, also gets a lot better during the first week. Same with axiety, sometimes I'm afraid to even walk on streets, feel like everyone is there to judge me. Also the area under my eyes get swollen, once a co worker even asked if I had been in a fight, because I had huge sacks under my eyes..
That too gets a lot better during first few days.

I have developed a case of what doctors call "spider veins" about 2mm wide, also on my cheek bone. Its a sign that liver is not working properly and I don't know when it will go away. Had it for 4 months....but hope it will in time.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The puffiness went away for me at about the 3-4 week mark, it just whooshed off. Same with the bloating.
Now things like hair, skin and nails, my skin got a lot better looking by the second month and I had some work done cosmetically in my third month. Last night I was getting into bed and looked at my toes and went, son of a gun, I need to file my toenails again, I only did it like 2 weeks ago - previously my pedicures lasted a month. My fingernails are growing an eighth of an inch a week and they are super hard - I've always kept my nails kinda long, but they have never been this hard or the nail bed this pink! I don't even need a tinted base for a french manicure anymore, just whiten the tips and clear coat. My hairdresser mentioned last appointment (Wednesday) my ends were in really great shape - asked what I was doing different, well she sees me monthly, same shampoo and conditioner, same products daily and heat styled daily, the only thing I can figure is my liver is healing and I am properly absorbing nutrients from food I eat.
Yesterday was 5 months for me. I slept horribly last night, I decided to have a coffee at 7pm, I go to bed pretty early, last night the last time I saw the clock it was 1am, I get up for work at 5:15 - I did reset the alarm, but my dogs heard the first one go off and they were not having Mommy have a lay in, even though they had just been out 2 hours earlier with my husband. 6 months ago, that little sleep would have killed me, but I plan after work to hit the gym, muck stalls and do a little shopping! The changes do come, they are amazing and what you thought was awesome at 1-3 weeks is going to be so much better, just a few more months on, I can't wait to see where we all are in a year!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The worry and palpitations are likely part of withdrawals, but you should go see a Doctor nonetheless.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BiggerReasons

Most of us drank for years so it makes sense it may take a little time for some of the things you're worried about to resolve themselves.

As others have said, seeing a Dr would be the best and safest route - it may help to put your mind to rest?

D
Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
The puffiness went away for me at about the 3-4 week mark, it just whooshed off. Same with the bloating.
Now things like hair, skin and nails, my skin got a lot better looking by the second month and I had some work done cosmetically in my third month. Last night I was getting into bed and looked at my toes and went, son of a gun, I need to file my toenails again, I only did it like 2 weeks ago - previously my pedicures lasted a month. My fingernails are growing an eighth of an inch a week and they are super hard - I've always kept my nails kinda long, but they have never been this hard or the nail bed this pink! I don't even need a tinted base for a french manicure anymore, just whiten the tips and clear coat. My hairdresser mentioned last appointment (Wednesday) my ends were in really great shape - asked what I was doing different, well she sees me monthly, same shampoo and conditioner, same products daily and heat styled daily, the only thing I can figure is my liver is healing and I am properly absorbing nutrients from food I eat.
Yesterday was 5 months for me. I slept horribly last night, I decided to have a coffee at 7pm, I go to bed pretty early, last night the last time I saw the clock it was 1am, I get up for work at 5:15 - I did reset the alarm, but my dogs heard the first one go off and they were not having Mommy have a lay in, even though they had just been out 2 hours earlier with my husband. 6 months ago, that little sleep would have killed me, but I plan after work to hit the gym, muck stalls and do a little shopping! The changes do come, they are amazing and what you thought was awesome at 1-3 weeks is going to be so much better, just a few more months on, I can't wait to see where we all are in a year!
Thanks everyone for the replies.

You know, since the day I was born I’ve always had cheeks on the “chubbier” side. As a kid, it was endearing to others 😜. Even during my best points and in my best shape, there was always something there to pinch.

I looked at a picture of myself from a hiking trip 5 years ago and was downright embarrassed. I was in pretty good shape at the time, hiking 4-5 thousand footers at a 28 min mile pace and remembering at that time how I thought I should drop 10-15 pounds. About a year later is when the drinking really took control of me. I’m about 35 pounds up from that picture when I thought I needed to lose 10-15. It obviously went everywhere but I figured my face was just the weight gain. I was really unaware of how “puffy” you get until I compared pictures and considered myself nearly unrecognizable 😱

Since this is the end of Day 4 (take 2), it means that 20 of the last 34 days have been clean (and the first time around, diet was overly good, gotta reboard that train too) so it’s nothig dramatic but I am noticing things slowly progressing.

I posted that “heading out” post earlier today, and I definitely had to fight some urges, but so far I’m feeling well physiologically. I definitely feel like I’ll be ready to incorporate moderate exercise next week. I conditioned my way up to a bloody half marathon in 2013, but feel like a mile or two would be rough right now. I think I’ll start rebuilding small and find a 5k to work towards in a few months 😁
Old 03-24-2018, 11:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bigger. It is quite simple that when you stop drinking your physical and mental health improves. A lot.
I had terrible rosacea (including the kind that affects your eyes) that went away when I quit. I had vicious leg cramps. They went away. I had agonizing peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet. It's gone. I had a nasty pain in my right side. Gone. I still have depression and anxiety, but it's so much more manageable now. I also lost 60 pounds in my 27 months of sobriety by riding my bike for transport and practicing yoga.
Good on you for 4 days--wishing you the best on your sober journey.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I suffered from flushing problems when i drank. I was very self conscious about it. When i quit it righted itself. Went back into balance, along with so many other things in my body.

I always take great pleasure in applying my make up now. A light swirl of mineral foundation, then some contour mineral.

So very different to the heavy duty, thick cream matte foundation i used painted on as a drinker.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great thread
I started taking vitamins and omg my nails and my hair are in fantastic condition
My skin is glowing (which it never was when I was drinking) my eyes are bright and alert now (I had dead eyes when I drank) best of all I'm now starting to loose weight finally after 3 months ...And I was told the other night I look 10 years younger
Why the hell would I give all this up for a drink
No thanks I'm loving me now xx
Old 05-31-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
Welcome, Bigger. It is quite simple that when you stop drinking your physical and mental health improves. A lot.
I had terrible rosacea (including the kind that affects your eyes) that went away when I quit. I had vicious leg cramps. They went away. I had agonizing peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet. It's gone. I had a nasty pain in my right side. Gone. I still have depression and anxiety, but it's so much more manageable now. I also lost 60 pounds in my 27 months of sobriety by riding my bike for transport and practicing yoga.
Good on you for 4 days--wishing you the best on your sober journey.
Verdanita,

How long did it take for the cramps and neuropathy in hands/feet to go away? I have similar symptoms after quitting for 2 weeks (2nd attempt with same symptoms before that eventually passed) and it doesn’t seem to be fading.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MC555 View Post
Verdanita,

How long did it take for the cramps and neuropathy in hands/feet to go away? I have similar symptoms after quitting for 2 weeks (2nd attempt with same symptoms before that eventually passed) and it doesn’t seem to be fading.
Go to your doc and get a solid recovery plan in place. Booze is clearly causing a devastating impact on you.
Don't turn something that can be changed around, into something chronic. You've got this!
Old 05-31-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Go to your doc and get a solid recovery plan in place. Booze is clearly causing a devastating impact on you.
Don't turn something that can be changed around, into something chronic. You've got this!
Thanks for the encouragement Forward. I have been to the doctor, no official diagnosis as of yet, but dr. google points to neuropathy. Hopefully it clears up with sobriety and good health. Just curious what others have experienced.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MC555 View Post
dr. google
Dr. Google said (I'm sure of pretty much everyone) that we would have been dead from 20+ different types of rare diseases years ago, but here we are.