Notices

Two Weeks In - Diet

Old 03-23-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I was strongly advised by several addiction counsellors not to worry about dieting and weight in early sobriety. Trying to do everything at once can lead to failure at one goal, and this can easily lead to the case of the f*kits where you might as well drink or use, since you failed at your (diet, nicotine quitting, insert other goal here).

I firmly do NOT believe that it is a good idea, especially if you still are having physical withdrawal symptoms.

60-90 days isn't going to make a huge difference in your weight. It's OK not to eat a mountain of chocolate cake every day, but if you're even SLIGHTLY rational about what you eat you're not going to put on that much weight.

You can diet off fat, you can't diet off an addiction, and look how far you've come and how hard it was to get there. Is not gaining a few pounds really worth putting this at risk?
I would certainly agree with MindfulMan on the above. Dopamine receptors are looking for a kick and if, right now it is chocolate, then go for it. My addiction moved laterally from alcohol to food and now I am entering my 12th week sober I am dealing with the food side of things. Just jump up and down and rejoice in your sobriety..might work a few pounds off.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Samantha

What helped me was actually increasing exercise.
I am doing couch to 5km.
Also for chocolate cravings have Breyers low calorie ice cream - 280 calories a pint.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac4711 View Post
Sugar cravings in early recovery are caused by no longer drinking alcohol and these cravings absolutely go away with time. In the first months of my recovery I raided the fridge every evening and gorged on ice cream; now, at eight months, the sugar cravings are gone and my diet is much, much healthier and I can SUSTAIN it.

Advising anybody to cut out sugar in early recovery is potentially exposing them to again crave alcohol. Only exception is folks with anorexia/eating disorder, where it gets really complicated.
Hey, I didn't tell anyone to 'cut out sugar'. It's the OP who seemed inclined to start eating healthier and I agreed that's its not too early. Just because you have sugar cravings in recovery doesn't mean you should be undisciplined and eat endless amounts of ice cream. If it was between that and relapsing, I'd say eat all the ice cream, but it doesn't have to be one or the other.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daveglass1 View Post
Hi all.
Two weeks sober but I have found myself eating too much chocolate!. I have also increased foods with Vit B to get that all boosted so Im not being a complete slouch. However - I could do with losing a few pounds. What are your thoughts - if any - on when to limit calorie intake so as to lose some weight? Or would I be taking on too much too early?
Regards
Dave 🤠
Here’s one positive way of thinking about it before even deciding your action plan: you’re conserving calories by eliminating the binges!

6 glasses of red wine? 750
12 pack of Miller Lite? 1,152
Fifth of vodka? 1,600

That’s obviously not a recommendation to justify replacing drink binges with food binges 😉 and the sooner you feel ready to tackle the nutritional aspect of recovery the better, but others in here are right that it’s a common and stopping the drinking is priority number 1.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stride34 View Post
Hey, I didn't tell anyone to 'cut out sugar'. It's the OP who seemed inclined to start eating healthier and I agreed that's its not too early. Just because you have sugar cravings in recovery doesn't mean you should be undisciplined and eat endless amounts of ice cream. If it was between that and relapsing, I'd say eat all the ice cream, but it doesn't have to be one or the other.
The OP is 2 weeks in. The main focus should be on staying sober using all means possible - none of the other stuff should matter early in recovery. Statistically the chances of making it are low, and the only way to improve them is to focus and give it all you’ve got.

Then once your thinking starts to clear up, after 100 days or so, then you can start to take care of things like diet etc.
Attempting too many things at the outset is too risky, because it drastically increases the risk of failure - that’s my whole point.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dave, I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight at the two-week point. When you feel more confident in your sobriety, perhaps in a few weeks, it would be a good time to sit down and work out a diet plan. I didn't intentionally eat poorly, but I listened to my body (which craved carbs) and I didn't refuse it.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I got serious about diet and exercise about 100 days in. At 10 months in I've gone down 45# and am at around 17% bodyfat from OMG I AM HUGE!

I would start with light exercise if you've been sedentary since quitting. If you have continued to exercise, up it somewhat. And be easy on yourself, go for walks and stuff...don't try and do an ultra-triathalon!

You get positive reinforcement and good feelings from carbs in early recovery, and you DEFINITELY will get the same from exercise endorphins. Exercise isn't denying you anything.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac4711 View Post
The OP is 2 weeks in. The main focus should be on staying sober using all means possible - none of the other stuff should matter early in recovery. Statistically the chances of making it are low, and the only way to improve them is to focus and give it all you’ve got.

Then once your thinking starts to clear up, after 100 days or so, then you can start to take care of things like diet etc.
Attempting too many things at the outset is too risky, because it drastically increases the risk of failure - that’s my whole point.
Yeah, I got your point originally. If the person is still hanging on to sobriety and food binging is the sole comfort that keeps them sober, I'd agree. But if they're weeks in, physically stabilized, and doing fair, I wouldn't agree. Personally the feeling of being healthy and feeling good would propel my early recovery and motivate me to stay sober, and dealing with carb/sugar hangovers and/or weight gain wouldn't.

I'm also not so sure about your statistics that the chances are low. If you have a good plan and follow it, I absolutely think the chances are good of maintaining sobriety.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow!!!!

What a knowledgable lot !! You know your onions 😁😁😁. Getting responses and sharing this stuff really helps. Great teamwork. Many thanks my friends - I shall utilise your wisdom to fit .
Dave 🤠
Old 03-24-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by daveglass1 View Post
What a knowledgable lot !! You know your onions 😁😁😁. Getting responses and sharing this stuff really helps. Great teamwork. Many thanks my friends - I shall utilise your wisdom to fit .
Dave 🤠
Absorb what is useful. Discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own. – Bruce Lee