SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weekender 22-26 March 2018 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/425300-weekender-22-26-march-2018-a.html)

Dee74 03-22-2018 12:05 AM

Weekender 22-26 March 2018

When things get overwhelming, it's good to reduce things to basics...the next right thing is a worthy goal :)

I hope everyones having a good week - if you're not, for any reason, remember we're here...there is strength in a community :)

:grouphug:
D

Gilmer 03-22-2018 12:19 AM

Thanks, Dee. :)

“The next right thing”—one foot in front of the other—is the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes. When cares pile up, my mind can easily go into ”catastrophize” mode and run far away with me.

Taking a deep breath and repeating “Just do the next right thing” calms and grounds me—plus it transforms the standstill of panic into concrete action.

“Conquering the universe, one bite at a time.”

Alysheba 03-22-2018 12:23 AM

Thanks Dee. :)

Gilmer, always good to see you as well! :)

Gilmer 03-22-2018 12:25 AM

Good morning, Alysheba! :)

Hi, Lava! :)

Lava256 03-22-2018 12:25 AM

Thanks, Dee. I’m in for the weekend! And the rest of my life 😀

Alysheba 03-22-2018 12:32 AM

:wave:

Zombie79 03-22-2018 01:38 AM

Thanks Dee :-)

This will be my second sober weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. I've a load of stuff in my house to clear up so I'll be donating to the local charity shop. Never would have thought I'd be looking forward to getting rid of stuff and tidying! I think it's good to clear stuff out tho,

Gilmer 03-22-2018 01:43 AM

Great to see you back, Zombie!

saoutchik 03-22-2018 01:45 AM

In!

Thank you Dee.

Good to see you Lava and Zombie.

Do the next right thing - it's a lot easier than trying to find some sort of comprehensive solution to everything.

Systems upgrade being undertaken at work, meaning no system. Hey ho.

theVman31 03-22-2018 02:20 AM

anyone say SHOTGUN yet ?

I get lost all the time in the millions of ideas in my head.
I think that some synapses were short circuited some time ago.
Starting to recognise or realise when i start to lose the control more and more.
And the solution is always the most basic :)
Back to basics.

Gilmer 03-22-2018 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by theVman31 (Post 6832296)
anyone say SHOTGUN yet ?

Take it away, VMan! I’ve had shotgun a lot recently! :)

theVman31 03-22-2018 03:32 AM

I decided to go mad and enrolled in another run on Sunday, this time a 10k, for me right now it seems the next right thing :)

My legs are still crying after last sunday but i am a glutton for punishement !

Lava256 03-22-2018 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 6832227)
Good morning, Alysheba! :)

Hi, Lava! :)

Hey, Gil.

I’ve missed being here on the Weekenders. It’s been too long.

Xxx

Lava256 03-22-2018 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 6832264)
In!

Thank you Dee.

Good to see you Lava and Zombie.

Do the next right thing - it's a lot easier than trying to find some sort of comprehensive solution to everything.

Systems upgrade being undertaken at work, meaning no system. Hey ho.

You too, sao.

Been reading a lot but not writing much. Been a bit down lately but I’m hoping that that’s a silver lining I’m seeing there in the dark cloud that’s been hanging over me. I’ll be OK, I’m sure.

Love you all ❤️❤️❤️

STDragon 03-22-2018 05:01 AM

Ugh, drinking dream last night.... So nice to wake up and realize I don't have to start over.

biminiblue 03-22-2018 07:01 AM

I love, "the next right thing."

When I was in first grade I got teacher reviews that said, "Bim does not ever shut the heck up. Won't stay in her seat," I've always had too much energy, chattiness for my own good. Add alcohol to that and man, you get a really jumpy brain that skips ahead maybe twenty thoughts forward. I was always trying to be better, faster, anticipate. In sobriety I know all of that is fear.

The next right thing is a really great tool for me. It slows me down. It creates that pause. The pause is a huge part of recovery to me.

Count to ten.

Take deep breaths.

Walk instead of driving.

Be kind instead of judgey.

So many ways the next right thing is good.

I'm not sure which is most important. "Next" or "Right" but I know I need to practice both in order to be calm.

Great start to the weekend. Let's everyone get through this one with no regrets. If you're lurking this thread, just jump in. Posting about it BEFORE you drink takes the power away from the urge.

Blessings.

biminiblue 03-22-2018 07:05 AM

venuscat 03-22-2018 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lava256 (Post 6832226)
Thanks, Dee. I’m in for the weekend! And the rest of my life 😀

:) :) Oh yeah, me too. :) :) ♥♥♥

venuscat 03-22-2018 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lava256 (Post 6832404)
You too, sao.

Been reading a lot but not writing much. Been a bit down lately but I’m hoping that that’s a silver lining I’m seeing there in the dark cloud that’s been hanging over me. I’ll be OK, I’m sure.

Love you all ❤️❤️❤️

I have this hanging in my (our) office:

(And my surname is Silver, so..... :))

https://i.imgur.com/q9kV0N5.jpg

Sending you so much love Lava. :hug: ♥♥

venuscat 03-22-2018 08:30 AM

On Saturday it is Nick and my 6-month wedding anniversary.
I have been married for 6 months.
That just sounds like the craziest thing on the planet to say...me....amazing.....

It would not could not ever have been if not for SR.
Everyone here saved my life and then I found my love.

And on that very corny note, bim love, how are you?
And everyone?

Looking forward to a lovely sober weekend with all of you. ♥♥♥