Notices

Weekender 22-26 March 2018

Old 03-27-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

g'morning 'enders. I had a really good weekend Gilmer. Tho it started with a funeral - or rather a life celebration - on Friday. But that ws an opportunity for friends and family to connect. Saturday was busy and we had close friends over for dinner on Sunday. I'd do that weekend again if I could.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Mr

Good for you Dragon.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I'm still here 😀😎
Unfortunately with my AV.🙄
Hope everyone is ok. Xx
Old 03-27-2018, 11:41 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Send your AV out for some takeout...from Australia. You won't hear back for a while.....that is a long flight.

Seriously.....right here with you love.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hang in there Petals.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
saoutchik

From a day or two ago you can fly from London to Perth, or vise versa non stop, around 17 hours and 9000 miles.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

It is 14 hours to fly from Melbourne to LA (no stops) and then with wait times etc getting to Columbus, I have done the 24-26hr thing 3 times in the last year. And that was almost 12 months ago....I do not want to do that again any time soon. Although I will have my nephew's wedding next year, so I guess we will go.

Only way to do it is Qantas or BA....or SA.....but that's about it. You need the best airlines for that long a flight.

And Sao love.....you should do it. It is SO worth it.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders,

Could use a little help please. Long story short my greyhound Penny likely has to have surgery for a small paw cut that's healing improperly, but the bigger issue is that what we thought was partial laryngeal paralysis may actually be a heart problem caused by periodontal disease.

So now we have to get the paw done (we're taking her to an emergency place tonight because the at-home vet thinks there could also be a puncture wound), and then bloodwork, and an echocardiogram, and more surgery for periodontal work.

I'm dreading all that, but what has my writing now is that the emotion that flooded over me when I heard all that news was:

I could lose my little girl.

I have been thinking about that ever since I realized that she's turning 13 this year (in fact, in two days). But that was all sort of theoretical. This hit me in my gut. My first thought when the at-home vet was summarizing this was: "I need a drink." It just all feels like too much. I'm sobbing right now.

But I'm not going to drink today. However, I have to be honest and admit that I am worried that all of this could be a huge trigger. It was so hard to go through Argus's final four months last year—about the same time as now actually—that I am dreading anything happening to Penny. It just feels too soon.

The fear of losing her hits me in my core being and it scares me terribly.

One thing I remember during the time that I was struggling with Argus's health (he was having seizures as well as hip and hind end issues) was Dee writing something along the lines that I needed to stay sober to honor Argus. That really affected me. I am so grateful I did then, and it was only because of SR and the support of this community that I was able to do so. And I want to do the same now.

But I had slips during Argus's final four months, and I don't want the same to happen with Penny.

So, I...will...keep...posting. Thanks for listening.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Oh gosh love, I went through that with Venus. It is so unbelievably hard.
I stayed sober....it was the very best thing for her and me.
I was able to give her ALL of me arg.....I promise you, you want to do that.
And you can. Lean on us. We adore animals here....more than people most of the time....ok, that's just me....

Love her and be good to yourself. For her and for you. ♥♥
Old 03-27-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

petals, throw your keys and wallet on the counter and tell the AV it can go get anything it wants.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It is hard when you realise a pet may not be around for much longer but i'm sure Penny appreciates the love and care you give her. 13 is a good age for a greyhound. I'm sure you can do it for her arg.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Thanks for the supportive words you guys. It's helpful to have the emotional backup. Makes me feel not so alone in all this.

venuscat, I think you were making one of those transpacific journeys across (how many?) ponds when I first joined and embarking on the wonderful journey you are now taking. I'm glad you're back. You seem to have a heart as big as the continental US AND Hawaii and Alaska! Belated congrats on your anniversary... : )

sao, 13 is a good age. I'm going to try to stay in the present moment (which is basically one thing that pets are really good at) and just be with all her specialness in the now.

OK, we're off to get her to the ER and see what needs to be done about the paw and potential puncture wound. Ciao for now.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

All the best for your sweet girl love.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Best of luck Arg. My heart goes out to you, as well as prayers and good vibes for your sweet girl. I sure am hoping she gets better.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Administrator

let us know what happens argi - good thoughts and wishes for you both

do you want to talk about it petals?

D
Old 03-27-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Oh, you guys. We're back, and really, it's all very good news. The pad got treated so no surgery needed, and since she had an echo in October ER doc thought no real worries about heart stuff.

Definitely needs a dental. Will call specialty place tomorrow to book.

But guys...oh SO want a drink right now. This is definitely a time where I'm superstressed from all this, and in the past the first thing I would have done is go pour a shot, drink it, and then pour another one. And then, well, we all know the what happens after that.

Plus, this morning's migraine came back and the alcohol would (temporarily, as with everything with alcohol) make it go away.

But...yay for plans!!! Part of my new plan since my most recent relapse was to stay close to SR and post. So I'll be OK now, because I've made myself accountable tonight.

OK, nearly the end of Day 7. A milestone.

G'night all.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:32 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

((((Arg))))

((((Petals))))

I just wasted my whole evening chasing down the wrong problem (deciphering complicated paperwork, including lots of math—all for naught)!

I’m so tired, but I still have to stay up a couple of hours to stay on my medication schedule.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Ohh.....sorry love.
Hope you can get through it and get to sleep asap
Old 03-27-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone - I still like to read through the Weekenders threads - my favorite on here - and thought I would say hello!

I am doing well. Life is truly so much better sober - I feel alive again and life is really good right now. Not everything is perfect, but when I get away from alcohol, my perspective and outlook on the hard parts drastically improves. I am learning a lot about living in the moment, moving forward, and crafting a life that I can dream up as I go. I feel blessed.

I have had plenty of stumbles along the way. In the beginning what I wanted to hear more than anything was, "it gets better". I heard it here, and it is true. Hang in there, everyone. Never stop trying. <3
Old 03-27-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Gilmer, if you need a few minutes of respite, cue up the Barnstorm album by Joe Walsh.