Notices

Day 3 sooo hard

Old 03-21-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 sooo hard

Hello,
I’m on day 3 which for me is my usual! I say to recover, 2nd day feeling bad, 3rd day back on. Got a tenner burning a hole in my pocket! Finding it very difficult to stay away.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Neena, day 3 was my weakness too! Day 1: swear I’ll never drink again, feel hungover and dreadful. Day 2: still a bit hungover and determined. Day three: feel better and think I want to drink again.

Trust me: you want to get to day 4. I know it’s really, really hard, but I think you will wake up tomorrow having NOT drank and be so glad. If you drink, you’ll wake up and be back at day one: feeling AWFUL and regretful.

Is there something else you want or love you can go indulge yourself in to spend that tenner on? A cake? Something you’ve been wanting to buy (NOT alcoholic!!!)? A movie you’ve been wanting to see? Can you give it to a family member to hold on to for 24 hours?

Get through another day. Get to day 4. Then reassess. But I think you’ll be soooo glad tomorrow that you didn’t drink today. You can do this!!!!!
Old 03-21-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Neena. Day 3 was really hard for me too, though I still had lots of anxiety. Think One Day at a Time. (ODAAT). Distract yourself today. Stay close to SR and read the threads. I lived on SR during my first several days. As Sophie points out, you will be really glad tomorrow on Day 4. Play the tape forward. If you had a drink, you will be right back at the beginning. You already have 2 hard won days. Hang in there. You can do this.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's OK that it's hard.
Not all discomfort is inappropriate.
You can do hard things.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 days.

Yeah, I remember those days....ah the salad days of alcoholism. I knew I was an alcoholic, yep got that. Yeah, I drank way too much, felt bad sometimes, but I was functioning. I listened to those people in AA that told me 'its progressive, it will get worse' and I heard them. But somehow didn't apply that whole thing to me. So I kept going. Sometimes it wouldn't be that bad. Sometimes I'd even 'control' it. But then that illusion started to slip. And the benders got longer, harder, the detoxes worse. The consequences more intense. And frankly it hurt the people I love, really badly. Not to mention that its a class 1 carcinogen that was destroying my body. The older I got, the more obvious it became. Alcohol was going to kill me. And maybe I'd take someone else with me.

I haven't lost everything. Matter of fact I haven't lost anything. I'm successful, own a home, 2 cars, great kid, money in the bank. I'm fit. I'm healthy. AND I'm LUCKY as he!!. I hope to God everyday that I am finally humble enough to realize that I will lose everything, including my life, if I drink again. It is progressive. Its gets worse. Period. Its just a matter of the timeline......
Old 03-21-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
J50

That timeframe is completely normal. Do everything to fight through those cravings in the first few days!

I just watched a video where they said:
1. Cravings don't last (look up urge surfing)
2. While uncomfortable, they won't kill you
3. While they are there, you don't have to act on them

Take care of yourself and stay busy. Before you know it, you'll gain some momentum and the anxiety and cravings will start to disappear.

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I made day 3 more famous than elvis!
Please try for day four, you will then make it to 5 then 6
Sure the cravings keeps rearing their ugly head but not like day 3!
I promise
Much love to you
Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RenRen View Post
I made day 3 more famous than elvis!
Please try for day four, you will then make it to 5 then 6
Sure the cravings keeps rearing their ugly head but not like day 3!
I promise
Much love to you
Thank you, did it! But tried everything to convince myself I just need to cut down not quit. Even-get this, himself had 3 pints in my company. Don’t know if I can be as strong tomorrow but give it my best shot with all your help!
Old 03-21-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neena View Post
Thank you, did it! But tried everything to convince myself I just need to cut down not quit. Even-get this, himself had 3 pints in my company. Don’t know if I can be as strong tomorrow but give it my best shot with all your help!
Yeah..stick around here and post before you drink. That "just need to cut down" had a hold me for years!! Waayyyy better with just none at all.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sophie11 View Post
Hi Neena, day 3 was my weakness too! Day 1: swear I’ll never drink again, feel hungover and dreadful. Day 2: still a bit hungover and determined. Day three: feel better and think I want to drink again.

Trust me: you want to get to day 4. I know it’s really, really hard, but I think you will wake up tomorrow having NOT drank and be so glad. If you drink, you’ll wake up and be back at day one: feeling AWFUL and regretful.

Is there something else you want or love you can go indulge yourself in to spend that tenner on? A cake? Something you’ve been wanting to buy (NOT alcoholic!!!)? A movie you’ve been wanting to see? Can you give it to a family member to hold on to for 24 hours?

Get through another day. Get to day 4. Then reassess. But I think you’ll be soooo glad tomorrow that you didn’t drink today. You can do this!!!!!
Could not have said it better myself!
I'm feeling sooo proud of myself and you can too!
Old 03-21-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Neena View Post
I tried the moderation route several times. Always ended up right back (or more) than the amount I quit at. I understand about 'himself'. I have one too. It is very hard, but doable. Stay close to SR Neena. We're here for you.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stayed sober - it's hard to do that around drinkers, but if you really use this place for support when you need it, I reckon you'll be OK Neena

D