Notices

Need some comfort

Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some comfort

I'm 26. I've been drinking more than a pint or maybe just about a pint... not sure. Pretty much every night for a year now. I've been drinking hard for a couple years I guess. I don't really have an exact time frame.

But... I'm done. I hope.

And I'm scared. I've quit a couple times. Once for 5 days and the last time, 7 days....
I had night sweats and mild symptoms but for some reason I'm worried about trying to quit again and what might happen.

Any advice? Words of comfort... I can make a doctors appointment I guess. But can anyone just give me advice at the moment? I know everyone is different.... I'm so scared of getting sick or having a seizure.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll be the first of many to recommend a doctor visit, where you're really honest about your intake. You've already experienced mild withdrawal symptoms, so medical help is certainly indicated. Don't panic, but do proceed!

On a side note, you're the same age I was when I first admitted to a doctor that I was drinking basically a pint of whiskey every day, and he acted like that was a pretty big problem! I guess I knew it was, just needed to hear it.

Fast forward 30 years: lots of rehabs and many lost days later, I've been sober for a year. You have a chance to avoid a lot of misery, and live a much better life than I did. For today, make an appointment, and cut your intake in half if you're scared of seizures. I know, no medical advice; I'm walking a thin line here; but we all know withdrawal can be a real issue that (in my experience) should be monitored. I'm just happy that you're serious about quitting; I'd pay big bucks to get that chance back at your age! God, I'm such a grampaw...
Old 03-21-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi SoberonSaturn, and welcome! I echo Arpeggioh, a doctor's appointment is a good first step, especially if you've felt physical symptoms of withdrawal on your previous attempts to stop drinking. And, well, it's always a good idea if your doc has a full picture of your health and habits - that way they're best equipped to help you be healthy.

Do you have a plan for moving forward with your sobriety? SR is a great place to get support from people going through the same thing as you, and there are tons of great resources here. Of course you know about groups like AA and Smart Recovery. There are lots of good books out there to get you motivated. (There's a thread here linking to tons of them). I guess my general advice would be to pour as much energy (or more!) into your sobriety as you did into your drinking. Best of luck!

JT
Old 03-21-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi SoberonSaturn (great username), welcome to SR! And congrats on deciding to get sober.
Some more basic advice during your detox: stay hydrated. Take a multivitamin. Eat something if you can manage. And can you tell someone that you are quitting, so they can check on you and make sure you are safe?

When I quit (around two weeks ago) I found the forum ‘what to expect’ useful... I’ll find you a link.

Good luck and stick with it: it’s so worth it! And keep posting to us!
Old 03-21-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/138403-quitting-what-expect-what-we-did.html
Old 03-21-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sophie11 View Post
hi soberonsaturn (great username), welcome to sr! And congrats on deciding to get sober.
Some more basic advice during your detox: Stay hydrated. Take a multivitamin. Eat something if you can manage. And can you tell someone that you are quitting, so they can check on you and make sure you are safe?

When i quit (around two weeks ago) i found the forum ‘what to expect’ useful... I’ll find you a link.

Good luck and stick with it: It’s so worth it! And keep posting to us!
and it is soooo worth it!!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you feeling SoberOnSaturn?

D
Old 03-22-2018, 02:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

I hope you take everyone’s advise and see a doctor. That will certainly help with any anxiety you feel about withdrawal and getting sober - they know best and have lots of experience with this and can make recommendations.
I hope you start to feel better soon