Notices

Worried about being so tired and wanted to drink today

Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about being so tired and wanted to drink today

I am getting worried that some nights I am incredibly tired and could just go to bed at 6:30. I don't because I have a child and a lot to do but I find myself just in a state of exhaustion. I don't know my exact date of starting sobriety but it has to be around 2 months. Shouldn't the fatigue go away by now? I wonder if there is something wrong with me but I just had surgery and my pre-op blood work was fine.

Also I really wanted to drink today. Yesterday I didn't. I don't know what that is about but I didn't drink. My husband said he didn't think I had to avoid drinking every day but I think I have to.

Wish I weren't so tired,
Old 03-20-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pretty normal on the quitting scale. If only quitting was enough. Nope, our bodies need to repair and it takes a lot to do so. I'm right there with you. I have cravings still, all the time which I'm really concerned about. I thought they would be better, but they aren't and I'm a few months in, even after rehab and doing AA. Stay the course. WE can do this.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 2 months of sobriety!

It does take time for your body to heal. If you are eating well and getting some exercise, hopefully you will start to feel better soon.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful for you chowchow for staying sober for over two months. Your doing very well, be very proud of yourself.

I am also around two months and I have energetic days and days where I cannot even think or function because of tiredness and brain fog. I am feeling that my body shuts down once in awhile just to protect itself and heal. I hope you have energetic days also.
I just had surgery and my pre-op blood work was fine.
Surgery is big, so add that to the mix, your body is working very hard to heal both from surgery and cleanse itself and heal from the drinking.

Speaking for myself, even with hard days, everyday is so much better without the booze. I know in my heart I am doing the right thing and a few months of hard change is slowly changing me in to a healthier person. I hope you stick with it just to see how it unfolds for you.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Fatigue is common in early recovery. As was said, your body and brain are healing and getting back to normal functioning. Treat yourself well, rest and good food, and exercise if you can, even just walking is good for us.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

2 months is a huge accomplishment. Fatigue is draining. Hang in there.

I'm just the opposite, I tend to want to drink the most when I'm ramped up, anxious, triggered and upset. One of the things I'm looking forward to most is being able to sleep again.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 months. Your husband's comments about you not having to avoid drinking every day reminded me of what the wife used to say to me. It was one of the reasons, it took me so many attempts to get sober.

The sad truth is that for people like us, you do have to avoid drinking everyday, because we cannot moderate our drinking. In my case, now that I have been sober for over a year, the wife is saying I am like a new person. She no longer wants me to try to moderate which makes my resolve to stay sober all that much stronger. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank God for this post I thought it was just me feeling tired alot.I do know from my last sober period of 18 months that this will pass like the other people said exercise and healthy eating make all the difference we are what we eat and all that.Well done on 2 months.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Really common to still be feeling really tired at two months. Plus, you just had surgery! Give yourself a break, if you can. Your body is trying to tell you to rest. I slept a lot extra in the early months.

As for your husband telling you he doesn't think you need to avoid drinking every day - what do YOU think you need to do? That's the most important thing. You know yourself best. Try to figure out what his motivation is for telling you that. Does he want someone to drink with? Maybe he's afraid you'll pressure him to quit, too? I don't know the answer, those are just ideas for you to think about. If you are sure you want to quit completely, make sure he really understands that, and your reasons for it. And explain to him that if he wants to support you in that decision, he needs to cut out those sorts of comments. It will not help you one bit to have someone that close to you putting thoughts into your head that maybe you don't REALLY need to quit.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know I can't drink like a normal person. My husband is not a big drinker but he is a pot smoker. He is correct, I am kind of dull right now. I try not to get home early like I used to because that was the start of my drinking time. I try to get home right in time to make dinner and that seems to help make it through without drinking.

I am not sure what to do about him. I just want to be sober more than I want to drink at the moment (most of the time).
Old 03-21-2018, 11:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and not overwhelm yourself too much -all we can do is live one day at a time - that goes for non drinkers too

You will find your energy again and you will find thoughts of drinking or getting wasted will fade.

You'll find your authentic self again too once the shellshock of sobriety wears off a little

stay with us chowchow

D