Notices

beginning

Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

beginning

Hello, I've begun my journey through sobriety. Yesterday I went to the wake of a long time friend, who was also my boozing buddy. I don't want to keep this endless loop going anymore. There's no real fun reason to drink anymore. I've tried quitting so many times, but always went back. I feel like quitting and moving on with my life is a good tribute to him.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about your friend. It brings then thought of MY best drinking buddy laying there. I cant imagine. Hope and love for those sick and struggling.

Drinking is definitely less fun when you realize you have a problem. I ignored it for a while, trying to keep the fun going. It turned on me and made my life a living hell. I can't wait to see your journey to sobriety. Congratulations <3
Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
J50

Dr. Wayne Dyer said, "when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." Looking at booze as a destructive force in our lives that brings us nothing but pain is the first step in making the mental change required to begin the journey to sobriety.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

day 4, getting cranky.

The weekend is coming, and I feel dread. The drinking patterns are so locked in for that time period it's going to be weird to work around it. I'm planning things to do to fill up the time, but they seem too small. Drinking, makes it all one big thing. Activities are basically just a back drop for drinking, down times between activities are filled by drinking. I have a plan, though, I read about planning here and I'll just work the plan and look forward to going to bed sober.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It's tough when that fervor of initial commitment starts to fade, doubts creep in, the addictive voice starts working on your resolve.

But remember why you quit. Stay firm. Everyone who has gotten sober and remained so has gone through what you are going through and made it through the other end. You can too.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Thankful. Getting through this weekend will make next weekend less bad. It's good you're going to keep yourself busy. During your less busy times, stay close to SR and read the threads. Post if you want to contribute or are struggling. You can do this. Rooting for you.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

there's support here too Thankful - right across the weekend
You can do this!
D
Old 03-24-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OK, this is number five, OMG I'm still alive.

Went out for dinner last night, seated near the bar, and there were some really loud drunks left over from happy hour. It was like fingernails on a chalkboard. Even at my worst I, well, I don't know what I was like since I don't remember. And I can't ask my friends since I lost most of them due to this stuff. Drank Coors NA, not terrible. When I think of the absurd concoctions I drank in the past, it was fine.

Anyway, 9:00 AM, seize the day. Just making it past lunchtime sober will be a whole new world. I really hope every single person here has a good day and goes to bed sober.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Thank,

Ime...the crave never goes away. It got weaker and i got stronger.

I think about drinking sometimes and now I know there is no point.

It is a highly addictive neurotoxin that alters our central nervous system.

I am much better now, but I have permanent brain damage that I had to adapt to. I relate it to learning to walk again. It has taken nearly 3 years and my spatial orientation is returning. My brain rewired around the dead areas.

I noticed this degeneration over 10 years ago, but my addiction was strong enough that I ignored the signs. The internet was not what it is today. That is what really saved me.

Know I have the knowledge. I embrace sobriety. On my priority list it is next to breathing. I fight the craves.

I use SR to remind me of the hell I left behind and to provide me endorphins by helping folks.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I stayed away from bars for a long time. there's plenty of places ion my hometown to eat where alcohol's not available.

what do you think made you go for the NA beer?

why make it harder on yourself?
D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-26-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I’ve bought the NA stuff a few weeks ago. . A 6 pack. Thinking it was the taste I’d be missing. Turns out it wasn’t the taste I was missing. I still have 3in the fridge. I am an alcoholic that drank to get drunk. ONE day at a time Thankful. ONE day. You can do this. Just stick to your plan

Last edited by Dee74; 03-26-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: no brands please :)
Old 03-25-2018, 12:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Get to meetings or the weekends realky helped me. It broke the days up, to have me renewed strength and focus, meant I got to see and hear how it IS possible for our lives to be improved through long term sobriety (no matter how hopeless I felt when I arrived), and gave me a reason to get showered, dress and look after myself a bit. Also the walk there was a but of exercise and meant I was more likely to cook and eat a proper meal later on.

Might be worth checking out the days, times and locations of the ones in your area so you at least have the info to hand. You don't book in advance or anything, but just show up.

BB
Old 03-25-2018, 02:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome
This is an amazing place to be
So many wonderful people
Without this site I wouldn't be 3 months sober
Rooting for you
Keep posting you can do this
Caralara ❤️
Old 03-25-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Checking in, a Saturday night finished, very restless, very anxious, but had to go out. Sitting around the house was driving me crazy, that's where the drinking always kicked in. Usually I got so wasted at home I didn't bother going out.

The NA beer wasn't a trigger for me, Dee, I drank it like a placebo. That said, I'm usually not a beer drinker so it's not like I'm craving beer. I've just been craving , that state just this side of consciousness. My mind just keeps going "what am I going to do next, what am I going to do next". It's tiring, if I drank it would turn off, I would relax. I know this is a phase, I get it, but man it's tiring during down times.

Thanks for the advice on the meeting Barry. I should have gone to one. I was thinking I shouldn't go until at least a week or two, to make sure quitting this time is real. But that doesn't make sense, now that I said it out loud.

Thanks so much everybody. I have to get out of the house. This used to be my safe place, now it's the scene of the crime. I know that will pass too, when I can start calming down. Have a great day all, go to bed sober.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

day seven - exercising and goal setting in that department, will be running some road races. Seems like a flood of options suddenly exist, all the things I've put off due to this stuff are still there.

It occurred to me my first day sober was 3/20. It was the day after I went to the wake of a 32 year drinking buddy. It was the birthday of my father, 14 years gone, who always advised and shared. It's the first day of Spring, the season of New Beginnings. Talk about a confluence of pointers toward a better place. Being here really helps, thanks to the people that make it possible and for the support.