Notices

The endless quest for sobriety.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi August,
I have been working on how to deal with it should the situation or AV come about. From readings it says the biggest thing is a persons real desire to change. I have that this time. I haven’t had as committed of a feeling all previous times. Will that get me through hard times alone, I don’t know, which is why I am working on a plan for how to deal with it should the issue/situation arise and I already have specific actions I will take should it. I have friends who have quit who I will call as one first step and just talk. I have activities I have lined up I will do. I also have here, which I never really leveraged.

Another work day over. Relaxing at home and no desire or urge has arisen so I am happy. Just praying for health.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

every quest needs a map

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

make yours as detailed as you can manage, Done.

D
Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How are you doing? Just checking in on ya.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
How are you doing? Just checking in on ya.
Hi GettingSmarter,
I’m doing well. Only had a tiny thought earlier in day about the life of going to the bars. But no desire or urges now and it’s early evening when my usual desire is.

Still worried like crazy about my health. I’m 99% positive I have edima in my ankles and a rash on my ankles and my calves hurt. Liver area is a little tender. I know 2.5 years ago I had an ok liver (had some tests done for other things then. More than just blood work). I wonder if I could really have trashed it all the way to cirrhosis with that amount of time and my heavy drinking.

But as for the drinking. Not happening!!! Feeling pretty good. Gym every day since Monday and loving it! I can’t believe how much I ignored everyone in my life to drink. Sure the people at the bars liked me, but let’s be honest. Those aren’t like deep friendships or anything. They were drinking acquaintances. So much wasted time in my life at bars. (I don’t even want to think about the $).

Thanks for checking in. I don’t know your whole story. How are you doing? I’ll search for your posts.

Heading to the mountains tomorrow evening! Will be good to get away. No alcohol will be around me. Excited to hit day 7 on Saturday. I wish days went faster so I could have more days and body could heal what it possibly can.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4Ever View Post
Hi GettingSmarter,
I’m doing well. Only had a tiny thought earlier in day about the life of going to the bars. But no desire or urges now and it’s early evening when my usual desire is.

Still worried like crazy about my health. I’m 99% positive I have edima in my ankles and a rash on my ankles and my calves hurt. Liver area is a little tender. I know 2.5 years ago I had an ok liver (had some tests done for other things then. More than just blood work). I wonder if I could really have trashed it all the way to cirrhosis with that amount of time and my heavy drinking.

But as for the drinking. Not happening!!! Feeling pretty good. Gym every day since Monday and loving it! I can’t believe how much I ignored everyone in my life to drink. Sure the people at the bars liked me, but let’s be honest. Those aren’t like deep friendships or anything. They were drinking acquaintances. So much wasted time in my life at bars. (I don’t even want to think about the $).

Thanks for checking in. I don’t know your whole story. How are you doing? I’ll search for your posts.

Heading to the mountains tomorrow evening! Will be good to get away. No alcohol will be around me. Excited to hit day 7 on Saturday. I wish days went faster so I could have more days and body could heal what it possibly can.
So the first highlighted part is exactly one of the reasons to have a plan. Many of us found that an oncoming relapse began with just what you said - an inkling of the act of drinking. An under girdle for sobriety is so critical.

The second part- I worried and pondered the "what ifs" I had done to my body for a long time and I was terrified to go to the dr and get all my tests and such done. That was, in the end, the only way to know what was what and start dealing with whatever my health reality was. Turns out I was perilously close to cirrhosis, low on thiamin and B12 and needed my thyroid dose corrected as i had neglected the regular tests to monitor its hypo/hyper condition.

After 90-100 days of sobriety, retests had everything smack in the middle of normal. So grateful that my body could recover and now keep getting better- my oxygen saturation is 98% (meaning my breathing is very deep and steady- that is thanks to a seriously committed yoga habit), my pulse and BP and all are normal to low, all kinds of good stuff.

Please take care of yourself and build up all the ammunition you can, support and understanding you can, of our disease and how to get into real recovery.

Best to you.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Have fun this weekend,...

Great screen name btw,...it speaks volumes !
Old 03-23-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
So the first highlighted part is exactly one of the reasons to have a plan. Many of us found that an oncoming relapse began with just what you said - an inkling of the act of drinking. An under girdle for sobriety is so critical.

The second part- I worried and pondered the "what ifs" I had done to my body for a long time and I was terrified to go to the dr and get all my tests and such done. That was, in the end, the only way to know what was what and start dealing with whatever my health reality was. Turns out I was perilously close to cirrhosis, low on thiamin and B12 and needed my thyroid dose corrected as i had neglected the regular tests to monitor its hypo/hyper condition.

After 90-100 days of sobriety, retests had everything smack in the middle of normal. So grateful that my body could recover and now keep getting better- my oxygen saturation is 98% (meaning my breathing is very deep and steady- that is thanks to a seriously committed yoga habit), my pulse and BP and all are normal to low, all kinds of good stuff.

Please take care of yourself and build up all the ammunition you can, support and understanding you can, of our disease and how to get into real recovery.

Best to you.

Thanks August. 1 day at a time for me. Looking forward!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Telling close friends or SO helps with accountability.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Telling close friends or SO helps with accountability.
I agree. That’s why I’ve told my friends and people who were usually offering me beverages. Obviously the bar acquaintances I didn’t tell, because I would only see them when I was at the bar drinking heavily. So probably won’t see them. At least for a very long time.

This anxiety over my liver is crazy. I can usually avoid it at work till my legs itch or hurt. I know I need to go to doctor. Probably blood test on Monday. At least see that first. Then schedule doctor. I almost want to wait a few months to stay sober and let things try and heal some.

Thanks for all the support. Motivated like crazy for never drinking again.

On the screen name. Sadly, since I first was on here I’ve relapsed more times than I can count. But this time, my whole perception is different and I have plans for dealing with AV if it hits which i only had minimal plans before. But I expect this time the screen name will be valid.

Thanks everyone for all the support!!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Take it a day at a time. Even when you’ve been sober years getting back to basics such as this is a valuable tool.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4Ever View Post
Hi GettingSmarter,

Checking back in with ya.

I was an every day get drunk at 5pm till pass our drinker. Spent about 15 years like that.

Tell us how your doing
Old 04-08-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
Checking back in with ya.

I was an every day get drunk at 5pm till pass our drinker. Spent about 15 years like that.

Tell us how your doing
Hi GettingSmarter.
Just been reading posts and not posting much. Still haven’t had a drink. Only minor urges when people have invited me out. Nothing too major and my determination is to still stay sober (as with everyone’s). I have been filling my time with activities and other things and work has kept me very busy so that’s been good.

I’m amazed at all the people who have 6, 12 and more months. Looking forward to being there eventually.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats great you're still going well, Done4ever

D