Notices

Day one

Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

Hi all! Today I've decided to take the leap into my sanity, health && recovery. I am in my early 20s and have come to realize the crippling anxiety I've developed over the years. Lastnight I binged && today was absolutely hell. Evrytime I drink I just want to die the next day as My anxiety is through the roof and full force panick attacks set in. I am done. I am done giving in to the poison and destroying my light.

Does anyone have any advice or any personal experiences on how to go about social gatherings with alcohol involved? Given my age group, friends && some family members the gatherings are inevitable and I am determined to conquer this beast.

Thank you!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Raehlyn; very glad that you found us.

I stayed away from most social gatherings in early times. I only went to those from which I felt I could make an easy exit if things got touchy.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your personal experience! It is greatly appreciated!

Avoiding those social settings are deff something I intend to do as much as possible. But, my family is very big with family gatherings so it will be rather difficult to avoid them all unfortunately//:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raehlyn View Post
Thank you for sharing your personal experience! It is greatly appreciated!

Avoiding those social settings are deff something I intend to do as much as possible. But, my family is very big with family gatherings so it will be rather difficult to avoid them all unfortunately//:
How well I remember! I had to get through Christmas and New Years' in the first weeks of my recovery.

I had to muster all of the determination in the world but I made it.

Have an escape plan in place even for those family events (drive yourself; take a sober friend along; bring your own non-alcoholic refreshments; leave early - have an excuse in your back pocket just in case, etc.) and if you feel you can't survive, graciously decline. Make sobriety #1
Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After you've been sober for a while, I think you'll find the alcohol fueled events boring. Drunk people are hard to deal with when you're sober.

I would avoid those events for a while until you get sober solid sober time under your belt.

The most important advice I would give is that you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.