If drunks ruled the world... - Page 2 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
I agree with the sentiment, but also try to look at it realistically. It is much easier to be a "functioning alcoholic" when you are well-employed, probably a white-collar/high-esteem position and have others around you to help you out. I'm definitely no martyr or hurting, but the "skid row" reference always gets to me.

IMO, a lot of that is a matter of environment and circumstances. We could ALL be there. We are no better. We are addicts.
I'd add that - at least in my own experience of being an alcoholic - often the line between living as a "white collar" vs "skid row" is much thinner than one may think. I believe that may have been the tone of the reference. I think alcoholics - especially while in the grip of it - may be more susceptible to the illusion & bs of such hierarchies & judgement than others - especially given the self-centered trait so many of us have.
Buckley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckley3 For This Useful Post:
lessgravity (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
I'd add that - at least in my own experience of being an alcoholic - often the line between living as a "white collar" vs "skid row" is much thinner than one may think. I believe that may have been the tone of the reference. I think alcoholics - especially while in the grip of it - may be more susceptible to the illusion & bs of such hierarchies & judgement than others - especially given the self-centered trait so many of us have.
Thanks Buck - this was my intention - and certainly if the term "skid row" offends, I didn't mean it that way.

What I meant is just the last stage of alcohol abuse. Where it all is forsaken and lost. I don't think that money or race or sex or anything separates us with addictions. Yes, sure I suppose the people who can afford fancy rehabs or who have supportive family members have safer nets around them should they fall. But even that I'm not so sure about. Too many examples of lives wasted on all ends of the socio-economic spectrum.

And in that sense, the mantra I keep close to my heart stays the same -

no one is coming to save me.

- april 2018 -
lessgravity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Sincerely needed to read this. Thank you for the great post. I think to some extent we've all been treated cruelly at some point, or betrayed, hurt, left behind...it wasn't until about four months ago I realized how often and how long I've played the victim and used it as an excuse to imbibe and it sickens me. Thank you for this reminder
Hawking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawking22 For This Useful Post:
trailmix (03-20-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

Was thinking again today about this concept. As I sit in a doctor's waiting room, thankful or at least hopeful that my doctor is not a raging alcoholic. How did I even survive for so many years? It truly was by the skin of my teeth. Nothing to be proud of. Once again I feel very grateful for all the people who don't succumb to the poison. Thankful for the care with which they treat the world, lucky things aren't falling apart at the seams - unlike the way I treated myself and life as a drunk.
lessgravity is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lessgravity For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (07-24-2018), tomsteve (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Vietnam Vet

Wow what a great post ! LG you share a ton of wisdom in this thread. Being sober is soooooooooo much better than what it was like being a slave to alcohol. When I look back, I am truly amazed that I'm still walking this earth.
BDTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Was thinking again today about this concept. As I sit in a doctor's waiting room, thankful or at least hopeful that my doctor is not a raging alcoholic..
I was thinking about that as I was getting ready this morning. Some daytime trash tv was on and the topic was "pedophile Doctor treating your kids".. I was thinking..damn..I guess that's very possible..What about a drunk doctor? Again..very possible. Similar to the night before my court case with thoughts of "What if my judge finds out his wife is cheating on him and he takes it out on me?"