Notices

the curse of the chip system

Old 11-04-2004, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the curse of the chip system

I think that the 3 month chip has a strange effect on people in AA---

like why is it when you talk to a lot of alcoholics they always get to the three month hump and relapse???
What if there was a 4 month chip only after the white chip---would the relapse time go up to 4 months???

just a thought....
after tonights meeting I thought about the chip system and the psychology of working your way up to aquire tokens---what if they were broken up differently---would it have an effect on how we program our minds during AA recovery??Would we make different goals???Set our auto pilots differently?Am I concerning myself too much with chips???

I dunno....I just know these are the things I think about when Im only 4 days sober and stressin it....
Old 11-04-2004, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi cuppycake!

Don't think too much about it; just dont drink today. You'll get your chips before you know it!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pink Cloud Dweller

Hey Cuppy,
Chips are great in my opinion, and yeah, I think you might be "concerning youself" to much with them.
If you put meaning into them, the plastic chips that is, then you give them meaning.
Sobriety is not a game to me and I can see how chips can make it seem that way. The fact is WE work this program in one day increments. Chips are just a way to recognize certain lengths of continuous sobriety. And all that is is putting a bunch of 24 hours together. And mostly to show others that yes, it can be done.

My advice would be to not and think about this stuff too much. Not at all preferrably. Don't think about tomorrow or yesterday. Don't think about the chip. Chips don't keep ya sober right? And this aint the acadamy awards.

Good post btw and stay up!
Aaron
Old 11-04-2004, 10:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Actually a 4 month chip does exist,but it is not common at many meetings.I would suggest not looking into the future too much.Do this one day at a time.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey cuppycake,

For me, chips are like road signs - CAUTION road signs. Maybe because I started in N.A. where each keytag comes with a suggestion: 90 days, you should have a sponsor by now, 18 months, it's battleship grey which is the color of duct tape to remind you to "duct tape your butt to chair and listen to the other people in the program."

It does seem like each milestone has dangers as well as blessings. For sure, day 91 is just important as day 90 (which was just as important as day 89) and we can only live and enjoy our lives one day at a time anyway.

Jah Bless