SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Slimming classes (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/425159-slimming-classes.html)

hpdw 03-19-2018 09:35 AM

Slimming classes

I don't understand why but slimming clubs are mostly associated with ladies but on 2nd Feb. this year I decided to go along to a slimming class with my wife and daughter . I was the only bloke there !!!!! was I embarrassed ? NO ............I'm too long in the tooth at my age for embarrassment .
The good news ( there hasn't been much of that for a few months other than that I am sober ) is that I have lost 16lb .
My target loss is 70lb but I, m committed and determined to do this no matter how long it takes ( probably around Christmas time ) .

I know we are here to talk about staying sober and being in good recovery but the idea of being involved in improving my health by losing weight improves my general health and mental state which helps with my recovery from alcoholism .

gettingsmarter 03-19-2018 09:58 AM

Nothing wrong at all for talking about exercise helping your recovery.

The only way I was ever able to loose weight was by quitting drinking. It takes a ton of motivation and will power to loose. Drinking robs you of that.

Having health/weight loss goals was a huge contributor of me staying sober in the beginning. Lost 40 myself.

Keep it up.

daredevil 03-19-2018 10:03 AM

hpdw,

I go to classes/clubs like that precisely because they _are_ mostly associated with ladies:)
And I find myself at ease, there.

entropy1964 03-19-2018 11:33 AM

Slimming classes? I thought at first your meant swimming.....The U.S. has stuff like Weight Watchers...is that the same thing?

Congrats on losing 16 big ones! That is awesome.

entropy1964 03-19-2018 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by daredevil (Post 6828661)
hpdw,

I go to classes/clubs like that precisely because they _are_ mostly associated with ladies:)
And I find myself at ease, there.

Haha! So you're that one guy in Barre class.....now put your money where your mouth is and start hot yoga! Lots and lots of scantily clad ladies there.

Anna 03-19-2018 11:38 AM

I think that recovery encompasses all aspects of physical and mental health. Good job on losing 16 lbs, and in being determined to reach your goal.

Rar 03-19-2018 11:48 AM

There is a class in my community called, "New Age Aerobics". It has a little bit of everything, hand weights, elastic bands, even line dancing. At first there were only a couple of men. Now, almost 30% are men. Good for you that you're going.

MyLittleHorsie 03-19-2018 12:15 PM

That is awesome you went!

My husband and I always diet together, workout as a family. I occasionally sabotage his diet as well :) Only when he is doing really well - not all the time and he knows I am sabotaging him, he does it back, until one day we are lying in bed, fat and out of breath, covered in cookie crumbs.... Wow did that go off course!

Good luck with your weight loss goals! I think it is awesome you went with your daughter and wife, I think it is so important for young girls to see men taking an interest in their own positive body image and health.

Dee74 03-19-2018 03:39 PM

Sounds good hpdw :)

D

hpdw 03-21-2018 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 (Post 6828784)
Slimming classes? I thought at first your meant swimming.....The U.S. has stuff like Weight Watchers...is that the same thing?

Congrats on losing 16 big ones! That is awesome.

Yes same thing different name " Scottish Slimmer's "

Thanks

hpdw 03-21-2018 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 (Post 6828789)
Haha! So you're that one guy in Barre class.....now put your money where your mouth is and start hot yoga! Lots and lots of scantily clad ladies there.

Haha I don't see myself at a scantily clad class of ladies , well not until I reach my target weight then I will buy my leotard .

All great .