Notices

Favorite NA drinks

Old 03-23-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
1/2 pot of coffee in the morning, with milk, 2 big mugs

TONS of water during the day, filtered from the fridge door.

Iced tea, green or black

If I'm at a bar, club soda with a splash of cranberry or pineapple juice.

I love ginger beer, but the sugar will throw me out of ketosis. Haven't been a soda person since I was a kid other than that, and I LOATHE artificial sweeteners.
There is a diet ginger beer, Mindfulman, though it has an artificial sweetener (Sucratose). I don't know how that affects ketosis. I love it. Found it al Walmart at $4.96 for 6. I haven't compared the non diet to the diet. I normally don't like artificial sweeteners either.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I started making something new at home this week. I know there are mixed feelings about N/A beers and wines, but I think I am all about eating and drinking anything that's just GOOD and even special or elevated. That said, I do like drinks that have fermented components, I like dry and bubbly and herbacious drinks. I think I'll always be a girl drink drunk even though alcohol is out of the picture. So, I sort of inadvertently made a substitute for red wine. For me, drinking it isn't about fantasizing about wine. But it does satisfy the dry and tart fruity red drink I want with a greek salad or a steak (I can change the balance of the flavors using the kit I make)

KIT:

My hibiscus concentrate is 2 quarts boiling water combined with dried hibiscus flowers, off heat and covered for two hours, strained, and cooled. This is the main ingredient for the kit.

Cherry juice concentrate (tart, dark, whatever you like, unsweetened though)

Sweetener:
Honey syrup: 1:1 honey and hot water, stirred and cooled
Or agave, or any other sweetener you use in room temperature -- cold drinks

Lemon juice

Spring water

Soda water (plain plus a couple other flavors)

I take this new "wine" glass I bought specifically for my N/A drinks and I add a bit of hibiscus and/or a bit of cherry, and sometimes some lemon juice and sometimes some sweetener, and then still or sparkling water.

The steak I mentioned above might go well with a couple ounces of 1:1 hibiscus/cherry mix, just a tiny bit of lemon juice, some honey syrup, and still spring water.

The salad I might make could be good with an ounce of hibiscus concentrate, a little more lemon, and this blackberry soda water.

I love pairing a good drink with a good meal. I don't think I have to give that up just because I gave up the alcohol content.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:10 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

My day is punctuated with the na drinks I love and count on through the day. Alcoholics I have found, develop fixations to drinks. We do like tipping a cup!

Morning: 1-2 glasses of room temp filtered water with a splash of Apple cider vinegar. Then coffee. Lots. Usually black, strong. Pete's or Starbucks only. Sometimes with almond milk and stevia.

Midday is sometimes another full glass of water with Apple cider vinegar. Then tea. Black. Earl grey. No sweetener. I like Earl over ice or earl nice and hot and strong. Earl gets me through my afternoons.

Late afternoon: sparkling water. Crystal geyser fruit varieties: no sweeteners. over ice while making dinner.

Bedtime is ice water only.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Still struggling with this...... for the most part drinks are either crazy expensive it riddled with sugar.

Diet ginger beer, sparkling water with ice, chilli and lime are floating my boat currently
Old 05-14-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Rar

Love diet ginger beer. It's my new favorite!
Old 05-17-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Great thread and some new drink ideas for the upcoming weekend! 5.5 years sober and I find this to be a huge challenge especially in the summer. Perrier which I hated until about a month ago with some lime wedges. Coke Zero in moderation and water. And hey if I get some weird food craving at 9:00 on a Saturday night I hop in the car and drive to the grocery store and buy it
Old 05-17-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Tonic with ice lemon and lime
Flavoured water with ice
Bottle Green Elderflower
Green Tea with Lemon
Raspberry Leaf tea
Spring water with loads of ice
Old 05-17-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Ribena! As a Brit living in the USA I need to order Ribena from the expat store along with Robinsons orange barley. I'm pretty obsessed with red jacket apple juice at the moment too.