Notices

14 Days In

Old 03-17-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up 14 Days In

Hi Guys I am new here and wanted to say Hello. I joined this group two weeks ago. My whole life has been about drink really especially when i was young (18) and on the beer with all my mates. As time progressed I didn't seem to have an off switch. I had a huge capacity for any kind of booze. I have to be honest and say i don't quite know how I am still here when I think back on some of it. Without doubt the worst times in my life have been booze related along with monumental hangovers and lost days. I have tried to give up loads of times but failed miserably after a couple of days. 7 years ago I moved to Cyprus. I was diagnosed with clinical depression and put on pills, it was a bad time and ruined my marriage as i still would not stop drinking as well. The only good thing I managed to do was hold together my own business, pay my bills and function normally to others. I used to drink at home on my own so no one knew i had a problem and as far as i was concerned i didn't care. So long story short 15 days ago I had a massive blackout and lost my s**t. I had been having them for a couple of years and they were getting worse and worse. At 54 I knew it was time to stop so I googled for help and this site came up. I sat there feeling like hell and read through everyone else's experiences and the similarity to mine were shocking. I finally realised that I was an alcoholic and for my own sake it was no or never to make a change. I don't know how its going to go as its 1 day at a time but i have followed the advice on offer here. Its been hard and i have stayed in for two weeks as there is a huge social scene here mostly pub related and have found that helped along with a dry house. Yesterday was Saint Patrick's day so I ventured to my local to join the celebrations. I stayed half an hour and drank a litre of water. I hope that this is a turning point. Thank you to everyone who has contributed on this forum. I have found it a huge help.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Phil , congratulations on 14 days.

I’m glad you found this site. If you’ve looked around you’ll see many like minded people, who really just want to get on with their lives without the booze.

Once you’ve got the tools and know how to stay stopped, you’ll find life is so so much better without that crutch.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Phil! 14 days is a great start. Since you've already looked around the forum a bit, you know what a great support SR is. Please continue to read and post. If you feel you might cave and drink, post here before you pick up. Someone (or lots of someones) will be here for support. Hang in there.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome to SR! You will have a lot of support here. We have all been through a lot of the same things. 14 days is great.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fantastic on 14 days
Old 03-18-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on 14 days. Stay with SR and be well. Welcome.