Notices

Some tips that are helping me to stay sober

Old 03-17-2018, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some tips that are helping me to stay sober

13 days sober after several years of alcohol addiction. First I had to recognize the severity of my problem and find a spiritual connection with my inner self. I had to convince my brain and soul to get into this battle. Not easy as I was drinking the last couple of years almost on a daily basis. I'm 45 and want to share some tips that are helping me so far:
. I'm totally avoiding driving by the liquor stores I used to buy alcohol.
. When going to a gas station, I do not walk in front of the beer coolers
. I know at what time the alcohol cravings start: 5 or 6 pm for me, so I decided to go and do sports at that time, tennis and racquetball plus jogging. Sports have been part of my life so I'm adjusting to play them at the usual time I was starting to drink.
. I'm reading. Whatever book you like, once you are involved, you want to continue reading. But I'm doing this at the time I was supposed to be drunk before: 8 or 9 pm
. I'm drinking a lot of water. Found out that it calms me down the urgency of needing to have a bottle of beer in my hands
. This is my second weekend sober in years. Friday night went to the movies with my daughter. Saturday had dinner with my wife in a restaurant but just ordered iced tea to drink. I'm trying to incorporate weekend night activities that don't involve drinking alcohol or having that temptation in front of me.
. Last weekend, the first sober for me in years, I was invited to one of my best friends birthday party. Showed up and Just said no to my friends when offered beer and liquor and stayed with water all night. Enjoyed the party under a very different perspective: completely sober. It was amazing.
. For parties I'm thinking on having my wife to buy some non alcoholic beers for me, so I bring them and I just look like the other guys with a drink in their hands. In that way I can totally avoid the social pressure.
. I'm enjoying the mornings without hangovers. That feeling reinforces the hard task of going that night to bed sober. I'm taking 1 day at a time.
. Started to look at all my circle of friends and detected some that I only share drinks with: the drinking buddies. I don't share other activities with them, so unfortunately those " friends" will disappear from my life. Just will give them excuses until they stop inviting me to the bars/drinks
. I'm reading a lot in SR, that definitely helps me !.
. I'm trying to avoid even 1 beer. That will open the gate to the monster inside of me and will end up drunk.
. I'm trying to have a spiritual connection with my inner self, my soul, trying to get in peace with me. I know the day to day life problems will continue, but I'm trying as hard as I can to go thru them without alcohol. I have to stop .

Hope this helps someone out there. I still have a long journey to go, but I at least have 100% commitment to do it!!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a solid plan. I will probably put some of your suggestions in my own.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 13 days! Thanks for sharing your successes.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm trying to avoid even 1 beer. That will open the gate to the monster inside of me and will end up drunk.
I'd avoid the NAbeer too. There must be any number of drinks that don't remind you of drinks you use to abuse?

D
Old 03-18-2018, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cerati said: "I'm enjoying the mornings without hangovers. That feeling reinforces the hard task of going that night to bed sober. I'm taking 1 day at a time." The morning experience is so much better without any hangover.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'd avoid the NAbeer too. There must be any number of drinks that don't remind you of drinks you use to abuse?

D
Sounds like a great, well thought through plan!

My experience with NA beer was that it helped in early stages, esp in social situations. But as time has passed by (8 months last week) that I barely have any. Only rather than diet coke with spicy food at home (healthier option &#128522. I appreciate it's a personal decision. But I would definitely rather have the option than not.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post. I believe, however, that I owe it to myself to decline invitations to parties where there is alcohol in my first year at least. I would rather just be around sober people or by myself playing with my puppy or doing something else.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Well done on 13 days! (Now 2 weeks? ). YAY! I tried the NA beer after one of my relapses. After a period of time with it, I decided I hated the taste and rather than switch to a non alcoholic beverage, went back to regular beer.