Notices

Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part Two

Old 03-16-2018, 11:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part Two

last part:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-one-22.html (Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part One)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 21 JayTee

The thing about youtube is its not real in the sense that the before and after are never shown. If I did a 'days drinking', I'd probably not stop drinking for months...if at all.

Nichole scout mako and number three congrats on day 3 and day 4 Zombie and day 5 Jiggery

congrats also footballmad day 12 & rowlands 21

lhw congrats on your week wayforwards 9 days Standing~4~My~5 2 weeks and birdie 16 days

I really believe you can be whoever you want to be strawberry - anywhere too.

hope your headache is better letsdance

welcome back quitnow - maybe alone time is something you need a plan for?

welcome back argi - not sure on what the triggers are but revising the plan sounds a good start

goodbyeevan I may have shared that pot made me want to drink and drinking made me want to get high,

I quit both at once - it was hard but I couldnt have quit any other way.

D
Old 03-17-2018, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Morning! Day 5 and I'm up and making breakfast. Feeling very positive and I've been writing down my feelings, looking at how previous attempts didn't work and why and looking at triggers. Again yesterday at one point the AV had a small minute in my head but I went and cooked a nice dinner and relaxed with peppermint tea afterwards.
Also been reading different posts on this forum and feeling a lot of support from people so thanks x
Old 03-17-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Looks like March group is doing great! Day 4 here. Snow weather warnings again in the U.K., but where I live is just couple of snowflakes. Still cold and miserable. Feeling positive though. Have a good day everyone.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today should be start of day 4 but I think I messsed that one up but I didn’t drink done something else idk if that will put me at day 1 or not sometimes I wonder what goes through my mind before I do things
Old 03-17-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Morning everyone,

First of all thanks for the support yesterday. It was just a bad day emotionally yesterday, for no particular reason. BUT, thanks to being out of the house for much of the day, playing the tape forward, and you guys, I made it through the day. It was more of a "hide under a blanket" day than a "go work out and do other healthy stuff instead of drinking" day, but the important thing is I didn't drink. And I feel better this morning.

Happy St. Paddy's. I think we should all celebrate by eating Ireland's second most famous export after Guinness - potatoes! Yep, a giant bowl of mashed potatoes for dinner, sounds good to me!

SayAnything loved your pic, so beautiful. Glad you enjoyed your hike. Thank you for the advice re. the career. It's true, got to focus on what's best for me and my family. I'll think about that. About the wait time for my surgery - one of the cons of the Canadian health care system, I guess. But given that we don't pay for it, I'll gladly wait a bit! It's also not a life threatening thing or a real urgency so unfortunately it isn't one of the first priorities for the general surgeons.

Strawberry, hope you feel better soon. I admire you for staying strong with your sobriety while living in the midst of a vineyard!

Argill, I'm really liking Annie Grace's book. I'll check out her website. Good luck working on your plan and resuming your journey to recovery!

Nichole, sorry you're dealing with depression. I totally relate. Have you talked to your doctor about it? Sorry you had a slip yesterday, but good for you for coming back here and keeping up the work towards your recovery!

Goodbyeevan, that situation with your sponsor doesn't sound productive or conducive to your recovery at all to me. Sounds like it's just adding more stress to your life. Any chance you could find a new sponsor?

LoveHateWhine, good job working on your plan. Glad to hear things are going well for you.

Zombie good to hear things are going well for you, and good work on your writing and work towards your recovery.

Have a good weekend everyone!

JT
Old 03-17-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you want to talk about it you know this is a safe place Nichole
In the end, day counts are really your personal decisions tho.

D
Old 03-17-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 5 going strong... 2 hours until day 6 lol feeling a little better today ! I kinda feel excited that I never have to go through day one hangover ever again !!!! Or be afraid of the first days of withdrawals start !
It's in my hands and Gods and I must Pray to keep along this path.
It is also day 5 of no smoking ... I'm missing that more than booze!
Happy Saturday everyone !

I'm starting a keto diet today! Anyone one this? 🍳🍆🍋🍇🧀🍤
Old 03-17-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 3 begins for me. I've been a frequent flyer here the past couple of days after many, many months (more like 7 years) of fly bys, if that makes any sense at all. I'm still in a fog and headachey. I'm so grateful to God, SR, this Class of March and everything that's coming together to give me this chance at sobriety. Wishing you all a pleasant and sober weekend.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes today strawberry and IdesofKKMarch

D
Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 20.I too struggle with pot, i found it to be a great companion for beer.I believe that if you want true freedom and be able to live in the moment at some point it has to go.I have quit pot before and say all cravings were gone at the 5-6week mark.I hate when people say pot isn't addictive.....HORSE****!Pot just dulls life in the end.Anyways just my 2 cents.cheers

Last edited by Dee74; 03-17-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling [Rule 9 PG edit -D]
Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't find i want to drink when I smoke. I dont find it destroys my health, my relationships, my entire life like alcohol did. I'm not sick every day, I'm not in a vicious cycle, I'm not consumed with ensuring weed permeates every part of my life. It's just nice to have it around for the moment. I've tried reading lots of threads in the marijuana forum to get more positive about the idea of quitting, but I just don't feel as passionate about it as I do about quitting alcohol.

Woke up with shame, guilt and regret waiting for me. 4 years ago, after much whiskey and beer and blacked out refusals for a taxi, I drove myself home from work. I remember blasting the Dropkick Murphy's and speeding. Not sure how I lost control in the curve and hit the utility pole. I had to drive by it every day, twice a day, until we moved. It's still there, unrepaired, split near the base where my car hit it.

Today I will try and be gentle with myself. Try not to get bogged down in woulda coulda shoulda. Try to avoid the path to the pity party. I am grateful i didn't kill anyone that night or the other numerous times I drove. I am grateful i am still here, for whatever reason.

March on y'all and don't drink today no matter what.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is this a place I can do regular check ins or is there another spot for that? Just good for me to feel accountable and write out that I won’t be drinking today.

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this but I can’t sleep even tho I’m soo tired. Day 6 tho and the longest I haven’t had a drink since I can remember. Anyone have any go-to books for alcohol recovery besides the big book?
Old 03-17-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi! There is this thread for staying sober for march and the 24 hour one for daily commitments to not drink.

I read living sober and undrunk which I found very helpful. Currently working on the naked mind. Bought the 4 agreements and haven't gotten too far .

Congrats on 6 days!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
Congrats on 6 days!!!
Thanks for the help. I Will check out those books.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello team March!

Zombie79, I love how thoughtful you are being in your early recovery. I bet that's going to pay you huge dividends as you move forward.

JayTee, very glad to hear you are feeling better. And I love reading your posts! Thanks for taking the time to write them.

Nichole, I'm sorry, too, to hear about your depression. Being depressed sort of skews how everything looks. I hope that you and your doctor can find the right meds to help.

Strawberry, your location does sound dreamy, save for the alcohol everywhere. Congrats on the headway you are making, and on two substances to boot! Impressive stuff.

I was doing the Atkins diet for awhile (the new one is much more measured in its approach to fats) and I really liked it (I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks the first time I did it). But it is super strict in Phase 1 about how many carbs you can have, and I was finding this time around, while quitting drinking, I couldn't stay the course. But I plan to do it again once I've got more sobriety under my belt. I haven't looked at any of the other keto diets.

Ides, thanks for landing in March, and for posting. It's great to have you with us.

Max, I agree, I think pot can be addictive for some. I'm only guessing here, but I would think it's the same with alcohol, there are some "normies" and others who just can't get enough. I've only tried it recently for chronic pain and it neither helped my chronic pain or really did anything else for me. I guess it's just not my thing.

goodbyeevan, only you can make the choices that are right for you. It sounds like it would be good if you could quit both, but if trying to do that is going to sabotage the great gains you've been making with sobriety then maybe it's not the right time. I'm so sorry about your accident, and so grateful that neither you nor anyone was seriously injured. I think one of the hardest parts of sobriety is coming to terms with things that have happened in the past while under the influence. And I agree with you, this is the time to be gentle with yourself.

There is an Canadian academic, Jordan Peterson, who came up with 42 rules of life at one point (though he has now distilled it to 12 and written a book about them). He's a bit controversial for some of his views, but I do like his rules. One in particular (from his original 42) that I really resonates with me:

"Treat yourself as if you were someone that your are responsible for helping."

I had to sort of get my head around that, but when I did, I realized the truth in it. I am so much harder on myself, all the time, than I am on any of my friends when they seek my support. So I started to invent this person in my head that was the me who was gentle on myself (she sort of faded and my critical personage took back over, but this conversation has now reminded me to go dig up gentle Argi and put her back in the control room...)

Anyways, that's my thought for the day. Gotta go. Didn't expect to go on so long as I'm currently struggling with a migraine the size of Montana. I've taken everything but the kitchen sink for it, and I've gotten it to a point where I can sit up in bed and read but I can tell it is seconds away from exploding again (I have a history of migraines). So back to just lying still in my incredibly dark room. Ciao gang.

Last edited by argillaceous; 03-17-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added sentence
Old 03-17-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Kid free wasn’t expecting that but my in laws have an indoor pool so the kids love going over there and swimming so usually kid free nights ends up me f..k up I got drinking on my mind and I’ve been struggling with pot y’all probably don’t know what moonrocks are but very expensive and it’s been offered for free my husband is planning a bon fire and 4 wheeling at our house and inviting a lot of people who drink and smoke so it’s my choice to do right or wrong I hope I can stay strong enough... I went to pick up my new medication they don’t have it in stock so have to wait til Monday which kinda sucks but it is what it is no reason to get upset because it won’t change anything but yesterday I done something and it’s been on my mind today I didn’t drink didn’t smoke but those benzo got the best of me last night I don’t know how many I had and the last one a snorted it and idk why that was an old habit about 10 years ago and idk if it was misshape or those old addiction making its way back in since I’m giving up other addictions
Side not sober right now hopefully everyone one is okay and enjoying the weekend air hugs keep your chin up
Old 03-17-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jiggery - the book Rational Recovery is also good. It’s a few years old, but a lot of it makes perfect sense. Congrats on 6 days!

LHW
Old 03-17-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I looked them up, and moonrocks sound like pot to me Nichole.

I know I'm a little hardline about marijuana but for me the danger of it is it fools you into thinking its so benign - it's 'natural', its 'harmless', it doesn't leave you with a bad hangover or blackouts...it's 'not as bad as alcohol'...

But I used it in exactly the same way as I used alcohol - and like alcohol it grew and grew in importance in my life until my day was ruled by smoking.

I'd blow things off to smoke - I'd panic if I ran out and get really angry and aggressive...

people would tell me I smoked too much and I'd be *appalled* they could attack me like that - how rude! how ignorant!

But the truth was I would have 'hangovers' where my mind was very foggy for several days and I would have nights where later I could not remember things clearly except in flashes that I wasn't sure were real or not..

My depression and anxiety did get worse - and were joined by paranoia but I blamed everything else but pot for that.

For a long time I couldn't not give up the idea of smoking again...alcohol sure...clearly bad for me...but maybe pot would be ok?

I'm glad I decided to go for broke.

My life is amazing now and I would not have this life had I continued to smoke.

I'm not going to harp on this, everyone needs to make their own decisions for their journey but I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't lay out the other side of the argument too.

D
Old 03-17-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you dee. I have been doing so much thinking and self-reflection over it. I'm very torn. I feel like I can see both sides of it.

I do wonder why it's affecting my relationship with my sponsor so much. Isn't AA admitting we were powerless over alcohol? Isn't the only requirement for membership a desire to quit drinking? I didnt notice any ammendments adding it really means alcohol AND drugs. Arent the chips in NA for those who want to quit drugs? I certainly dont want to be judged and resented if I pick up a 30 day chip for not drinking.

I can stop smoking and maybe I should and will (have to anyways this week for a DT) but I find it totally crazy that my sponsor is so adamant about this. Maybe it's because I live in the bible belt of the south? Idk.

Not trying to hijack the thread about this, it's just been driving me insane. I haven't wanted to drink this badly in a month. Glad y'all are here with your stories, wisdom and experience.