Notices

Health worries

Old 03-16-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health worries

So, I've had all my liver tests done and they came back as no sign of serious irreversible harm.

However I can't keep worrying about my health. Maybe I am just amazed my body could live through such abuse? Anyway else had issues with accepting their medical tests?
Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by Sarahsays View Post
So, I've had all my liver tests done and they came back as no sign of serious irreversible harm.

However I can't keep worrying about my health. Maybe I am just amazed my body could live through such abuse? Anyway else had issues with accepting their medical tests?
Yep! I've had more blood work drawn and have seen more doctors in the last 6 months than the previous 10 years. I'm 120+ plus days in. I had major anxiety in the beginning, and was convinced something was wrong with me even with doctors and blood work indicating otherwise. Thankfully, we can recover if we catch our alcohol abuse early enough. Hopefully your results will lead to peace of mind!
Old 03-16-2018, 11:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was amazed and I still worried for a while - eventually I gave thanks for a lucky break and I got on with building my new sober life

D
Old 03-16-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Outstanding work going to your doc! Did you let them know about your drinking issues?
Old 03-17-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So glad your tests came back A-OK. I was absolutely terrified to get my LFTs and everything else done- and indeed, turned out I was perilously close to cirrhosis, let alone more minor things like low in thiamine and B12. After 90-100 days when I got retests- everything was smack in the middle of normal.

Like Dee said, I had to just be ever-grateful I was ok and have a chance I really didn't deserve, objectively, to live and get well - priceless.

Keep going- keep sober- you don't ever have to feel "lucky" or such again!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The human body is a pretty tough organism and can heal most anything.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dr. told me I was killing my liver and something needed to change if I wanted to live a long healthy life.

It's the reason I quit. Of course the black tar coming out of my back side was also quite alarming.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

That is good to hear! Glad everything is okay.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That gives me hope!

My husband has a doctor appointment soon to check into all of that. I am dreading what they may find. 😬😥
I am so glad for you!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know how you feel! After all I have put this poor body through I’m surprised it hasn’t rebelled on me by now. I’m sure it is happy I’m trying really hard not to treat it like an amusement park anymore.

Glad your Okay!
Old 03-17-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't want to tell horror stories but I have friends that had liver cancer, pancreatitis and one died. Of alcohol. They were all very intelligent and two of the three are alive and saw the light, got completely sober. As pointed on another thread we have a choice. Nobody is pouring the drink down ones throats. It is hard to save a loved one but there are resources to seek support, regardless where you are. I found honesty to be the best way and by not blaming anyone or sweeping the problem under the carpet positive steps were made.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sarahsays View Post

My blood tests didn't show irreversible harm to my liver but they were bad enough for my Dr to sit me down and tell me I was killing myself.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
My blood tests didn't show irreversible harm to my liver but they were bad enough for my Dr to sit me down and tell me I was killing myself.
Did you enter rehab?
Old 03-17-2018, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was a wreck about this too. I worried I had liver cancer or cirrhosis. My blood pressure was a bit up even though I exercised a lot. Liver and pancreas function was fine and my blood pressure is low now.

I am worried about my big toe now but that's just me. I go from one health worry to another. Can't wait for the anxiety to be gone.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Heya everyone, yeah I did tell them about my drinking and had blood tests and the like.

I know anxiety is a big part of coming off drinking so I think I'll get better day by day. I've heard somewhere that hypochondria is really common in alcoholics.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm going to a cardiologist in 2 weeks. Even before I quit (cut down) I had a lot of "flutters" -sometimes a little feeling like a poke in my chest area. Since quiting the flutters have subsided but have not gone away. Don't know if it's anxiety. But to rule out have appointment-my mother has had heart problems but is on meds for high blood pressure. My cholesterol is a bit high. Hubby says my problems are probably due to all the drinking I have done. Sux.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hypochondria is very common in alcoholics. Many of us deal with esteem issues anyway, so feeling this great sober has to have a down side, right ?

I drank heavily for over 30 years and amazingly, no liver issues when I quit. Unlike some, I maintained a fairly healthy and sensible diet, and drank tons of water, along with a daily multivitamin. I don't think that kept me from irreparable harm to my health, but it didn't hurt.

One thing I have seen in some others in recovery is a dependence on WebMD and other such sites to do self-diagnoses. They surf sites until they are happy with the diagnosis. I can't imagine anything more foolish when you're looking out for your health. Most of the docs and nurses I work with say the same thing.

Kudos to you for actually seeing your doctor and being honest about things.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BreezyFe View Post
I'm going to a cardiologist in 2 weeks. Even before I quit (cut down) I had a lot of "flutters" -sometimes a little feeling like a poke in my chest area. Since quiting the flutters have subsided but have not gone away. Don't know if it's anxiety. But to rule out have appointment-my mother has had heart problems but is on meds for high blood pressure. My cholesterol is a bit high. Hubby says my problems are probably due to all the drinking I have done. Sux.
I've had flutters in the past my doctor said was anxiety, so maybe quitting drinking has made you feel anxious and that's all it is. Best to get check out but I wouldn't get yourself too stressed over it. Anxiety can cause all kinds of weird symptoms.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have a cardiologist apt in 2 weeks-my mother has had heart problems. Thanks-trying not to think about it till day before.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I had agoraphobic reactions and visuoperception issues when i quit.

Basically, brain damage. I could feel it getting better from day 1 though.

The healing has been slow but continues.

It is amazing how much better I feel these days.

Motivation to never poison myself with booze again.

I still crave, but even that has drawn down.

Now it is about remembering.

That is one reason why I will keep coming back to SR for the foreseeable future.

I also like trying to help folks.

Thanks.