Notices

Does a change in scenario make a difference?

Old 03-14-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does a change in scenario make a difference?

Here’s my story. About three months ago I decided I would give alcohol a break for a month. Dry January. Once that was done I figured I’d do the 100 day challenge I had found out about through the blog I was following with the month long challenge.

I started this because November/December I started to question if my drinking was becoming excessive again. It has usually ebbed and flowed in my life. I figured a dry period (veiled in the day-challenge) would be perfect for a stepping stone to sobriety. Now that my time is just about up and my partner is talking about celebrating (but not necessarily drinking) I’m not sure where I stand.

I’ve vocalized my concern in trusting myself to stop as I have a very hard time stopping unless I have 3 strong drinks or about 4-5 beers or glasses of wine. My partner thinks if we don’t have it around the house I should be able to enjoy 3 drink while we are out and then be home and not have any. Or have a night here and there that I can go out with friends and be fine to have many more.

I don’t know if that will work or not. I have never tried it but I do know alcoholism is progressive and one of my parents is/was an alcoholic (sober about 10 years now). I have a hard time stopping at one or two. I mean let’s face it, why stop the music? I can stop at 4 or 5 but it’s usually when the bottle of wine is gone or the beer is out.

I don’t know how this all works with the difference of having it home and have a day here or there if you could really have a problem. Even my parent that has the issue has told me it’s okay.

What’s your mentality if you have relapsed for a day? How does that work? Any testimonials to why this wouldn’t work because I know a brain that wants something will find justifications to why it will work.

I’m really torn. Obviously I’d want to be able to do this but I don’t want to undo anything that I have done the last almost 90 days. If I’m home right now and almost as though isolated from the thought or being around the “going out” scene I have no urge but the idea of a night out or grabbing a few sounds really nice. I’m not sure though where it would go or if I am in fact destined for disaster.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're not destined for disaster unless you keep drinking. I tried moderating my drinking too, but for what? I wasn't drinking for the taste, I was drinking to escape the mess my life had become.

I hope you'll read our stories and go completely sober for good. It's worth the effort it takes. I'm over 8 yrs sober and never felt better.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I confused abstinence for control a lot of times, but whenever I took a drink again, sooner or later I'd go back to old habits.

There was no control, only some lucky nights where nothing too bad happened.

I tried drinking at home, and in bars, alone and with friends, drinking beer, wine and spirits.

Same results.

I decided it was impossible for me to learn to control my drinking, no matter how much time I had between s drinks.

Truth be told I was always an abnormal drinker - my object was always to get wasted.

It surprised me to learn that not everyone drank that way.

There's no normal in that and never was.

D
Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really tested out the theory of moderation, and each time failed miserably, I have found it so much easier, and better to be sober.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Cat i will not sugarcoat it YOU DRINK AND IT WILL KILL YOU ,maybe not this time maybe not this year but it will in the end you need to STOP and STOP MEANS STOP NOW NO DRINK AT ALL
Believe me when av say this THIS ILLNESS HAS KILLED SO MANY please for your own sake DONT LET THIS ILLNESS KILL YOU .
Old 03-15-2018, 01:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can tell you that whir in my head around when, how, where (Note: not IF, very often) was exhausting. No longer spending so much mental energy on such is one of the best benefits of my recovery.

What I hear in your words is someone who is still equivocating and not ready and/or willing to do what your gut is telling you - stopping entirely is the solution for you, as for many of us.

Best to you.