Notices

So damn angry!

Old 03-14-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So damn angry!

First try; stayed focused on NOT drinking, went 20days. Then became so angry at thinking about not drinking, I drank.
Next try, 36 days Not thinking about drinking but focused on my goals, became angry at everyone around me that I ended up drinking.
Now I m just angry. At me, at them, at us...tired.
Where does the anger come from? I don't know. But I think it is the key. I want to be done.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My anger stage was short-lived. Try pushing through it sober next time. Should be easier now that you know it is coming.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe others can weigh in on this... I personally went through a deep anger stage at about the month mark. I isolated. I went through my whole metal collection twice and painted most of a house. I did a ridiculous amount of pushups. I wrote things and then tore them up.

I'm now convinced that some of it was my brain seeking chemical/ electrical balance, and some of it was actual anger. I had a lot to be pissed about. I had alot to be sad about too (a tearful stage followed the anger stage).

Having bottled all this up with all of my bottles, there was a volcano of emotions to feel.

I really think I needed to feel them, as hard as it was. They passed though, like emotions always do.

Try grinding through the anger (without taking it out on anyone) by telling yourself there's light at the end if the tunnel. Your anger may be trying to tell you about something you've been ignoring.

Above all, don't pick up. If you do, this stuff will just be waiting for you next time.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

You have enraged your AV. It wants you to drink. Push through it. It calms down and disappears the more sober time you have in.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a lot of anger - at the world, at alcohol, at drinkers...but mainly against myself.

Drinking just feeds that anger like wood to a fire.

D
Old 03-14-2018, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anger is normal And healthy as long as you are not taking it out on the beings around you. Check out EFT (also called
Tapping) it has helped me thru many emotional issues. Remember these are emotions that will pass in time. They will come and go and you have to find tools that will help you ride the wave.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
Where does the anger come from? I don't know. But I think it is the key. I want to be done.
It comes from you keep fighting against alcohol. You may think you are bigger, stronger, the alpha king, but alcohol will just laugh in your face and destroy you over and over again.
Once you man up and admit you are defeated, is when the healing happens.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anger was a big part of my early sobriety, found out I was also depressed. I found meditation several times a day helped. I also had to learn to walk away quickly when I felt the anger coming on. It will go away I promise.
Mick
Old 03-14-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had all kinds of emotional mood swings in early sobriety. Anger was a big one, I'd get ticked at the drop of a hat. It was really bad for the first six months then it started tapering back albeit slowly.

Figuring out it was just alcohol withdrawal messing with my mind helped me to keep it in check when it would boil up.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anger is an emotion that I had trouble keeping boxed and still do to be honest. A lot of people seem to have trouble with this in recovery.

The best advice I have which helps me to settle it a bit is exercise in what ever form. For me it clears the mind cleanses the body and takes some spare aggression out of the mix.

Had my blood taken for some tests today and the nurse just said you could do with losing some weight. I looked at her with venom, Instant anger I felt like saying and your ugly but I'm off to the gym now! I am pleased to say I managed to keep this as an angry thought.✌️
Old 03-15-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Dustitoffman View Post
. I looked at her with venom, Instant anger I felt like saying and your ugly but I'm off to the gym now! I am pleased to say I managed to keep this as an angry thought.✌️
lmaolmao brilliant!!!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I feel so overwhelmed at times. Feel I'm in this by myself often. I have little support around me for sobriety (SR only). Surrounded by people but feel alone. Everything left up to me. Then it comes crashing down in a wave and I am angry at it all. Man I need this to pass. I was doing so well. Now I am back to the beginning and having a hard time gaining traction again. And THAT makes me angry.
Think it is time to seek help with trying to understand this. Have a Dr appointment next week and will ask for recommendation for therapist that specialize in alcohol addiction.