Notices

Walking and walking and walking

Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Walking and walking and walking

So far so good, day by day. I never know what to do with myself during what was my drinking time so I've been walking and walking and walking. I am sure getting to know where I live better and I pretty much know all of the dogs. I live in the country so it is nice to walk around. I can't do much more than walking in terms of exercise because of my recent surgery but I am supposed to get in at least an hour a day and lately I've been getting in even more. I think I am exercising more now than when I went to the gym every day before I started drinking.

It's still hard and I've been trying to turn my mind away from myself when I get anxious and think about wanting a drink. My rational mind knows what that will lead to. Still loathing the AV though.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Me too! I have a step tracker, and the day I got sober, I started making sure I got my step goal every day too. Now I don't have to do the math every time to figure out how many days sober I have and it's a little added boost every day. I get two goals: I meet my step goal and I don't drink. Yay us!

I think I'd have gone mad sitting in the house staring at the walls during the early days. Well done for both of us on walking and walking and walking.

I also drag my kid with me when I walk. He talks and talks (like kids do) and I think it's made us closer to have all that time together. Maybe take a sober friend, family member, or pet with you? They can benefit from all those steps too!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Walking is great! Exercise in general has helped me deal with stress, so keep it up. Also, I think it's brilliant that you turn your mind away from yourself in anxious times. That's a good call, and one it took me a while to embrace.