Notices

Day 3. Here comes a 4 day weekend

Old 03-14-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tv1

Day 3. Here comes a 4 day weekend

I have been trying to trick my mind . Telling it that filling the void of my quick fix will get done with productivity and focus. The quick release from reality by taking a drink and completing a bottle is no longer an option. Trying to change things. Will go to my first meeting in years this Saturday. Been listening to Sober Guy Radio. Amy Dresner. Russell Brand.
And there are so many musicians and songwriters who became more successful when they started recovery
Old 03-14-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a sober musician myself. Much better this way

There'll be support here right across the weekend TV1...stay connected

D
Old 03-14-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sobriety podcasts are a great way to stay focused. Some are really entertaining, too. As for the weekend, think of it as an opportunity to build sober muscles. The first weekend seems daunting, but making it through gives a huge feeling of accomplishment.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are some fantastic speakers for the AA perspective on YouTube - Bob D, Chris R to name a couple.

Easily several hours and more worth of enlightening and entertaining material. I say plan to dig in, relax, treat yourself a bit and do some YouTube binging. Maybe venture out for a meeting or two...

Whatever you do don’t let yourself feel like you should have to do anything in particular. We are early in this, we need to stay sober first and foremost. Who cares if we obsess about staying sober for a bit? Obsess away I say, read here, post here, bark at the moon.... :P

I guarantee if you get to Monday sober you’ll feel great about it and that’s a big small win you can build on. Let’s do this.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And there are some great documentaries on YouTube too; 'Rain in My Heart' will surely be an eye-opener (out of the UK). I spend a decent amount of time on YT. I'd rather focus on not drinking than drinking, even obsessively so, in the early period of sobriety. Whatever works for you as defense to drinking, works;-)
Old 03-15-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hand in there Tv! We can do this. Have you joined the weekenders thread, it’s a great distraction and support!
Old 03-15-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I literally didn't have a real weekend for about a year straight. I would come home on Friday and drink the entire weekend and not even leave the house, except for more booze. I was isolating in every sense of the word. I much prefer my weekends now. Sober. Happy. Productive. Fun.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Tv1

That’s sounds EXACTLY like my weekends. Drinking non stop. I will have a different weekend now. My very first. Thank you - I’m trying this now.

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I literally didn't have a real weekend for about a year straight. I would come home on Friday and drink the entire weekend and not even leave the house, except for more booze. I was isolating in every sense of the word. I much prefer my weekends now. Sober. Happy. Productive. Fun.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Tv1

Thank you for being on my side. I will look at it. Yes we can do this.

Originally Posted by Komplex View Post
Hand in there Tv! We can do this. Have you joined the weekenders thread, it’s a great distraction and support!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Tv1

I’m going to look at all this documentaries as I love documentaries. ! Thank you . No drinking.

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
And there are some great documentaries on YouTube too; 'Rain in My Heart' will surely be an eye-opener (out of the UK). I spend a decent amount of time on YT. I'd rather focus on not drinking than drinking, even obsessively so, in the early period of sobriety. Whatever works for you as defense to drinking, works;-)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Tv1

I will check those out. I WILL GET TO MONDAY SOBER!

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
There are some fantastic speakers for the AA perspective on YouTube - Bob D, Chris R to name a couple.

Easily several hours and more worth of enlightening and entertaining material. I say plan to dig in, relax, treat yourself a bit and do some YouTube binging. Maybe venture out for a meeting or two...

Whatever you do don’t let yourself feel like you should have to do anything in particular. We are early in this, we need to stay sober first and foremost. Who cares if we obsess about staying sober for a bit? Obsess away I say, read here, post here, bark at the moon.... :P

I guarantee if you get to Monday sober you’ll feel great about it and that’s a big small win you can build on. Let’s do this.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Tv1

Sober muscles would be nice. Thank you. I will accomplish sobriety through the weekend so help me God

Originally Posted by rascalwhiteoak View Post
Sobriety podcasts are a great way to stay focused. Some are really entertaining, too. As for the weekend, think of it as an opportunity to build sober muscles. The first weekend seems daunting, but making it through gives a huge feeling of accomplishment.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Tv1

That is very cool. In this isolation of just drinking and work. I haven’t had any desire to write or perform. I was excited to find out that Johnny Reznik of the Goo Good dolls got sober a few years ago. I was so worried that Not day inking would take away my inspiration and creativity. It seems the opposite happened without me even realizing it

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm a sober musician myself. Much better this way

There'll be support here right across the weekend TV1...stay connected

D
Old 03-15-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yea... gotta believe the idea drugs or booze are required to enhance creativity is a huge myth.

I would think the process of getting sober and staying sober would provide fertile ground for creative expression of all sorts and varieties....
Old 03-15-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I won't lie - it took a long time for my creativity to come back - but now it's a good as it ever was

D