Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

no one gets a pat on the back for running out of a burning building

Notices

no one gets a pat on the back for running out of a burning building

Old 03-14-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree wholeheartedly less. The best choice is to afflict the affliction.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I agree wholeheartedly less. The best choice is to afflict the affliction.
stealing that one DD - afflict the affliction it is.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It was like you are in mu head.

Being in social situations with alcohol is easy. My drinking and drugging was mostly a solitary affair, and mostly in secret. I described the extent of my drinking to friends that i socialize with, and their response was "You were always the responsible one. How did we not know this?"

I got very sick of recovery after inpatient, outpatient, 12 Step (AA and CA), SMART, psych meds, and psychotherapy.

I was honestly just done about 2 weeks in. The rest was just insurance.

I have lost 40 pounds, keto, bodybuilding, learning motorcycling, changing careers. Rediscovered dating and sex. I got sober to live life, not to go back again and again to meetings and such.

I'm done. My main means of sobriety is not using. Its just off the table. Period.

You arent that far in. It gets easier and life gets better, and you wont miss your DOC(s).

Good job on the wedding. Sounds like you're at the "So this is sobrity. Is this as good as it gets?"

It isn't. It gets way better.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

It gets better, less

We all have bad days - alcoholics or not. I think there's a danger to look at bad days as some sort of sign we're failing in recovery. We're not.

The good thing now is my bad days are just that - bad days - not weeks months or years

As a alcoholic, I definitely identify with the post success come down tho - you successfully negotiate a tricky weekend...and now what?

Staying sober was one thing - but staying sober and being happy was another.

I drank for a lot of reasons - and not all of those reasons cleared up the moment I took my last drink.

It took a little work time and patience but eventually I found a happiness, and serenity, that sustains me - even thorough the bad days I and we all have

D
Old 03-14-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Hopefor2018

I feel the same way. Have had a feeling of malaise all my life, even before drinking. It becomes more evident for me when I don't drink.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
It was like you are in mu head.

Being in social situations with alcohol is easy. My drinking and drugging was mostly a solitary affair, and mostly in secret. I described the extent of my drinking to friends that i socialize with, and their response was "You were always the responsible one. How did we not know this?"

I got very sick of recovery after inpatient, outpatient, 12 Step (AA and CA), SMART, psych meds, and psychotherapy.

I was honestly just done about 2 weeks in. The rest was just insurance.

I have lost 40 pounds, keto, bodybuilding, learning motorcycling, changing careers. Rediscovered dating and sex. I got sober to live life, not to go back again and again to meetings and such.

I'm done. My main means of sobriety is not using. Its just off the table. Period.

You arent that far in. It gets easier and life gets better, and you wont miss your DOC(s).

Good job on the wedding. Sounds like you're at the "So this is sobrity. Is this as good as it gets?"

It isn't. It gets way better.
Thank you for this post MM. Dope and inspiring in many meaningful ways.