Notices

returning member

Old 03-14-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

returning member

Hi there,

I'm returning to SR. I had about 7 months sobriety up and then have been out there for about the same amount of time.
It hasn't been better, far from it, its been worse. When I first found recovery I was drinking up to 2 bottles of wine a day. This time around it escalated to a bottle of vodka a day. Most things I thought I would never do I've done. I started lying about my drinking again, was caught out numerous times and have almost wrecked my relationship again.
I need to be back. I'm 2 days sober now and have been to meetings the last 2 days.
I wanted to check in and say hi to everyone. Hoping to be here for longer than last time.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Gardens! You can do this!
Old 03-14-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back gardens - any ideas on what you might do differently this time?

D
Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back.

I did the same thing. The first time I quit was for a year. This was a long time ago....I think part of me thought I could go back, handle my drinking. Such a classic mistake. And Like you, my drinking escalated. The amount, the hiding, the lying. And then my drinking morphed into bender drinking. Sober for 4,6, 9 months...even a couple of years. Interrupted by increasingly horrific benders...insanity.

Why this happens? Don't know exactly. I know for me I believe that once I admitted I'm truly an alcoholic, and got some 'recovery' in my brain, I could never drink with impunity again. And I think that is also the source of a lot of the shame of my drinking. Not just the things I did, but the knowing in my heart and soul that I should not be doing what I'm doing. There's just no going back, ever.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back.

What are you going to do different this time to stay sober?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Glad you are still with us Gradens. Maybe this time completely give your self to this simple program. That seemed to work for me. All the best.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome back! Glad you have decided to give recovery another try. We will always be here for you!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gardens and welcome back!

I'm sorry you're struggling right now. 2 days of sobriety is great and I know you will find lots of support here. Do you have a plan for your recovery?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back, gardens! Good to see you.

Have you considered formulating a Sober Plan?

I will post a link to,a great thread in a moment.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As promised:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

4 days today. 3 meetings this week. Yay for me.

Today was rough and I wanted to drink a lot. My partner hasn't talking to me since my last bender, which then leads me to being unhappy all day, which then leads my mind to tell me 'I know what will take that away'.

I went to a beginners meeting tonight. It was what I needed to hear. One of the topics was on the progression of the illness. For me progression is a perfect way to describe it.
My drinking career started normally. Then it escalated but it was never more than a lot of people drank. When it started getting bad was when I had to hide it, so I could keep drinking. Then drugs became involved, hiding those too. Drinking daily in the evening, then drinking every day from the afternoon, then drinking daily from the moment I woke up. Not beer any more, now it was wine, then cheap wine so I could keep the cost (and the evidence of spending) down. Then multiple bottles per day. Then casks. Then mixed with drugs until I almost died. That was when I got into AA in the first place.
This time around its been up to a bottle of vodka a day, including while working in an office. Drinking it in the bathroom. Any fool could see it was a progression, but to me it was just a blur of 'normality'.

My only hope is to keep up the meetings and get back into the program. There has been nothing I've tried that is even remotely close to keeping me sober. People in there know how I'm feeling, because they've been there too. And worse. Though its getting to the point that there isn't much worse. Apart from losing my wife, kids, my job, or killing myself or someone else. Those are there for the taking if I can't stop this. As it is I've pretty much wrecked the trust in my relationship because of the constant lying and acting out.

Tonight the topic was on the disease of alcoholism. There's no other way I can describe my behaviour. It's just so abnormal it's beyond comprehension, noone I know in the real world drinks like this or behaves like this. The drinking isn't even enjoyable, it's a chore to feel 'normal' or 'slightly less sad'. The alcohol has taken all of the joy from my life, to the point that I would be happy to sleep all day every day and never talk to a soul, including my wife and kids. Normal people would stop drinking at even 1/100th of what I've experienced. For me, normality has become hiding bottles of vodka in a cupboard and drinking them straight when noone is around, hoping noone sees. That's just not normal.

Thanks for reading.
gardens
Old 03-16-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

Glad you're back Gardens. I am a returning member too. 4 days and 3 meetings is a superb start. Check in every day. We'll be here for you. You can do this!
Old 03-16-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gardens- welcome back to SR! great job on 4 days sober and the meetings. You sound fully aware of what is going on and the consequences that could happen if you continue drinking. That is a good sign and I think that will help lead you to long term sobriety.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Gardens - similar descent into the poison for me.

Glad you are here. Stay strong.

No one is coming to save us.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Back!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you back, gardens. 4 days is a wonderful achievement - things are going to get so much better. We're with you.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gardens View Post
Hi there,

I'm returning to SR. I had about 7 months sobriety up and then have been out there for about the same amount of time.
It hasn't been better, far from it, its been worse. When I first found recovery I was drinking up to 2 bottles of wine a day. This time around it escalated to a bottle of vodka a day. Most things I thought I would never do I've done. I started lying about my drinking again, was caught out numerous times and have almost wrecked my relationship again.
I need to be back. I'm 2 days sober now and have been to meetings the last 2 days.
I wanted to check in and say hi to everyone. Hoping to be here for longer than last time.
Were you talking about me then? ... Actually no, you can't have been I was on almost 3 bottles of vodka a day!!