Notices

I can see why AA encourages service

Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can see why AA encourages service

At least I think this may be part of the reason. If I am doing some sort of service (coffee, setting up chairs, etc.,) my mind is off myself and I am usually talking to other AA people while I am doing my work. It does help.

Still sober (thankfully) and turning into a cheesecake because I am eating so much of it. But I've decided not to worry about the cheesecake thing. Better than drinking.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

yep helping others definitely helps me too chowchow

D
Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When you give of yourself, you give a great gift to yourself as well as to others.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
Still sober (thankfully) and turning into a cheesecake because I am eating so much of it. But I've decided not to worry about the cheesecake thing. Better than drinking.
I love this! There are worse things to turn into! Keep going, and great job providing service.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

I agree. Though my volunteer work is not through AA, I am volunteering within my community. Definitely a good thing all around. I signed up for more things at a meeting this morning.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I can see why too, though perhaps I did not see at the time. My sponsor fixed me up with a couple of practical tasks, which I did willingly. What I wasn't prepared for was the great feeling that went with it. A feeling of having done some small but worthwhile thing for someone else, for the first time in my life.

That was a taste of how the AA way of life feels. We can help where no one else can. I like that feeling. It is what keeps me coming back.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

When I was complaining about whatever "crisis" I was experiencing at the moment in early sobriety, my sponsor or more seasoned AA members often suggested I get busy doing something for someone else.

It was put to me that I "needed to get out of myself"--take the focus off myself for a while. I tend to be pretty self-centered. When I followed that advice and did those things like you mentioned, I felt much better.

As for the cheesecake, my thing was ice cream. I let myself indulge for the first few months and didn't worry too much about it because it worked so well to ease the cravings. I told myself it was temporary. Eventually the cravings eased off and I didn't need to use that tactic so much after a while and went back to enjoying it only occasionally. I guess if I'd also had a food addiction, that would be a different story, so that might not work for some people.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
J50

I came up with a saying that says "service+purpose=fulfillment".

I think that serving others, and giving back, is the best thing we can do. When our actions align with our values, we can feel the fulfillment that we are looking for.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not an AA person, but I have always done service work. It is the most incredible thing. Many moons ago I worked with the literacy council, teaching adults to read, worked in animal rescue and now, of course I have my own charities which address issues like senior social isolation and animal wellness programming.

I was away from organised religion for many years, coming back when the kids were born - because my theory is, you can't accept or discount something until you have studied it and while I can teach them about Christianity - I can also teach them trigonometry, but let's face it, there are people better suited to the job. My husband's religion appealed to me because of the stewardship aspect as well as their stance on social injustice.

I believe the entire race of man exists to help one another and work together. I think for anyone recovering from any addiction, service to others is a very good way to begin your own healing. I've spent many years in the "corporate world", by volunteering, by seeing social issues and injustices and working to create ways to counteract them, I feel I grow as a person, I get out of that corporate headspace of Me, Me, Me and always being better than everyone else, into a space where there is real suffering out there and helping people. My father always said to me growing up, "we are more fortunate than most people, therefore, it is up to us to help everyone we can." In 40 years those words have never left me and I am beyond grateful that I have had a fortunate life, that I have been smiled upon, but I never forget, there are people who need help and if I want the positive life I enjoy, I need to roll up my sleeves and get my hands and hooves dirty. To me, that is how one lives a fulfilled life.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

The best thing about spiritual growth is giving it away. Thats how you keep growing.