Notices

18 days sober and on vacation

Old 03-13-2018, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

18 days sober and on vacation

Hello all! This is my first post here. I've been sober for 18 days so far. Woohoo! I had been drinking around 1 bottle of wine every night. I'd been drinking around that much on and off for 15 years(I quit while pregnant). I'd wake up each morning thinking "never again!", but each night I'd return to the drink. So, I've decided to give it up so I can be a better wife, mother, friend. I really don't want my young son to connect the smell of booze with his mother.

While my husband is supportive, he hasn't quit. He's an alcoholic, too, but often denies it. We're on vacation right now and staying with a friend in a tropical location. This friend is also an alcoholic. So, my husband and this friend are drinking all the time together and its sort of driving me crazy! I wasn't tempted to drink prior to this.

I'm trying to just avoid spending time with them and focus all my energy on my son. What a tough tough thing sobriety is! I'm sticking to it, though. I'm definitely being tempted, but I don't want to go back to the way things were.. I'm proud of my 18 days!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes stick to it and well done you!
Keep the memory of why you stopped for your son. Break the cycle. I grew up with a family of alcoholics some dead sick and in prison. And I'm here speaks for itself. I'm breaking the cycle I want better for my kids.
I wish you every success for you and your sons future. Stay strong it's wonderful what your doing for your son so you should be proud. Enjoy your holiday 😊
Old 03-13-2018, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Just stay clear of them. Your son doesn't need to be around a bunch of alcoholics. Make your own fun with you son. You will be a better mom sober. The memories will be sweeter for you both.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

Hang in there Wildflower. You're in what could be a tempting situation. My husband and friends also drink around me and while it's really tough sometimes, it's doable. You should be proud of your 18 days - it's some significant time. When your vacation ends and you're still sober, you will be so much stronger and your AV will be so much weaker. You can do this.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

It’s a bad habit to break, especially in a tropical location!
Just keep taking it day by day .
Old 03-13-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support everyone! I'm just going to focus on taking it one day at a time, one minute at a time sometimes. I'm so grateful for this time I get to spend clear headed with my son, totally in the moment.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stay strong wildflower and enjoy this time with your son.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 18 days and enjoy your sober vacation!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

18 days is awesome, congrats.

I'm just wrapping up a sober vacation myself. New Orleans wedding followed by a short trip to Miami. I was tempted several times but let the feelings pass me by. Urge surfed them away.

My wife is pregnant so it was an easier go than your trip. Nonetheless the same feeling of strength and confidence will be had once you stay sober.

Check in here often. Stay strong and congrats again.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR wildflower9 - tons of support here

D
Old 03-13-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, I made it to 19 days sober! My husband and his friends drinking didn't effect me nearly as much tonight as last night, so that's encouraging. I had a really fun day today with my family and I'm feeling great! Thanks again to you all for your kindness and support. It means a lot!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As a mom I just wanted to say you should really be proud of your now 19 days. Especially on a vacation! I have 70 days and another 130 until our beach vacation and I’m still worried. I just wanted to echo the support you have received. I’m married to an active but highly functioning alcoholic and we have built a life together surrounded by people who either drink with us or don’t appear to judge us when we do. It makes getting out of the old habits especially hard, or it did for me. But like you I don’t want my son (or daughter) to associate me with alcohol. One of my lowest points was when my son announced (in front of my dad) “Mommy, you smell like wine!” And my dad agreed. Another night soon after that my son didn’t want me to read to him or lay in his bed like we always do and I’m pretty sure the wine breath had a lot to do with it.

Anyhow, you are doing an amazing thing for your son and for yourself. And you are doing it from a tropical location! Keep it up and keep posting here.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

19 days is great, Wildflower. Protect your sobriety — it's worth it!
Old 03-14-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

keep it going wildflower9

D
Old 03-15-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Numblady View Post
As a mom I just wanted to say you should really be proud of your now 19 days. Especially on a vacation! I have 70 days and another 130 until our beach vacation and I’m still worried. I just wanted to echo the support you have received. I’m married to an active but highly functioning alcoholic and we have built a life together surrounded by people who either drink with us or don’t appear to judge us when we do. It makes getting out of the old habits especially hard, or it did for me. But like you I don’t want my son (or daughter) to associate me with alcohol. One of my lowest points was when my son announced (in front of my dad) “Mommy, you smell like wine!” And my dad agreed. Another night soon after that my son didn’t want me to read to him or lay in his bed like we always do and I’m pretty sure the wine breath had a lot to do with it.

Anyhow, you are doing an amazing thing for your son and for yourself. And you are doing it from a tropical location! Keep it up and keep posting here.
I can totally relate to that story with your son! I know he associates mom with wine, and I hate that. Hopefully I've quit while he's young enough not to remember how much I used to drink.

I'm still going strong here! Temptation surrounds me but I just keep reminding myself of all the reasons not to slip back into my old ways. I'm looking forward to a time where I don't feel tempted every day. When will that happen? 😕
Old 03-15-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wildflower9 View Post
I can totally relate to that story with your son! I know he associates mom with wine, and I hate that. Hopefully I've quit while he's young enough not to remember how much I used to drink.

I'm still going strong here! Temptation surrounds me but I just keep reminding myself of all the reasons not to slip back into my old ways. I'm looking forward to a time where I don't feel tempted every day. When will that happen? 😕
Impressive and thank you for checking in with us.

How many more days do you have on vaca?

Are you able to fill the time with fun, active stuff that takes the place?

I let myself GO in re: to food on my recent sober trip to New Orleans. I suppose I could have gotten up early and ran and worked out but instead it was po boys, muffulettas, bingets etc etc.

Stay strong and check in with us.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've been trying to stay pretty busy while on vacation. It seems like when I get bored or have 'down time' I feel more of an urge to drink. I'm definitely filling my urges with food, too. I figure, I'm not getting all those extra calories from drinking so i should be fine to indulge in food for a bit. 😂

I have been running, which has always given me a great feeling but is so much easier now without alcohol. Love it!

I need to get a journal and start really working on my strategies for maintaining my sobriety. My wellness toolbox and all that.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh, and I'm not sure how long we'll be on vacation. At least another week and a half. We work from home so our schedule is pretty fluid.