Notices

Not knowing where to turn

Old 03-12-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not knowing where to turn

Hi. I'm currently seeking help for sobriety from drink and cocaine use, over the last 5-6 years I can no longer touch a drink without getting myself in to £100 of debt at a minimum.

I really want to change my ways as I sit here with a hangover wishing I wouldn't ever touch a drink or a line again I know I'm lying to myself because every time times get tough I crumble! This is quite a big step for me it's the first time I've took a serious approach to stomping this out my life.

Any advice on what to do next would be great. I can't live this lifestyle anymore.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jordan, and welcome! There is so much support and encouragement to stay sober here, so please read read read... Since you have a double-whammy to overcome, do you have an inpatient detox program you could attend? There are different recovery programs listed also to the right of the threads that you can check into. Friends or family to confide in? Whatever you do, don't try to white knuckle it. Trying to make a go at it alone is the most difficult way to stay sober. Find ways to distract yourself with new hobbies/activities or old ones that you no longer involve yourself in. Keeping yourself busy helps. Good luck, and don't give up!
Old 03-12-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and we have lots of information and support. Following is info on various recovery programs and tips from our members:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))

Last edited by Dee74; 03-12-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jordancfc.

I will post links to a couple of threads which you may find helpful.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As promised:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stay close, Jordancfc. We care.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, the key was wanting to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m with least here: for years I ‘dabbled’ with wanting to quit but it wasn’t until I really knew I wanted to that something switched. No one else could make me want to; the gradual decline in my life and work couldn’t make me want to... they may have contributed to it but ultimately it had to be my desire. And it sounds like that’s the place where you are too, which is a very good thing. You can do this. Sending strength and sympathy.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jordan - my drugs were alcohol and pot but the support here really helped me - I know we can help you too

being around people who understand and who you can be accountable to, really helps.

You might also want to check out our Substance Abuse forum as well

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse

D
Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi I'm not sure a detox is what I need im a weekend binger as I work monday to Friday and my problem is I always feel like I've earned a beer at the weekend, then its leading to the expensive stuff, I do have a supportive family but they too enjoy a drink now and then and I can't just cut my family out of my life lol. I'm just not sure of how to approach this but I'll have a look through the links you guys have put on thanks a lot for the support.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did actually cut my family out of my life for a while - we communicated by phone.

It was a good investment for my recovery

D
Old 03-18-2018, 02:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Least, your motto really stuck in my head this weekend for me.

Thank you I've completed my first weekend sober and drug free I really do want to me sober more than I want to be drunk.