Notices

New to Forum - Loved one relapses ... now what?

Old 03-12-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Forum - Loved one relapses ... now what?

I am new to this forum and feeling desperate and alone. My husband went to rehab for 23 days. He has been home for 5 days and already relapsed. All I feel is anger and disappointment. So much time away for the family and so much money, just to come home and drink 5 days later. Is this normal? i know that relapse happens, but i guess i wasn't prepared for it so soon. What do i do now?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm sorry for your situation.

I don't believe that relapse is part of recovery, though many addicts relapse.

My suggestion is for you to take care of yourself at this time. Have you checked out AlAnon in your town as a support for you?

Also, we have a forum for Friends & Families if you'd like to take a look:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
Old 03-12-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, bama, to SR. I am so very sorry for what brings you here but am very glad that you found us.

You will find an abundance of support and understanding here.

There is a forum for Friends &Families where you may also want to post.

I have found it invaluable to read and post in both places as it is so helpful to understand alcoholism from both perspectives.

Have you considered ant face to face support for yourself - therapy, Ala-non, etc.

Again, welcome.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Quite normal for many people to relapse within a week of exiting rehab, some take a little longer, and most probably relapse within a month or so of leaving rehab, especially if it is their first time.

Unless a person is "ready" to stop, a stint at a rehab is little more than a timeout for most. The light bulb may go off in some, but it is a crap shoot. Hopefully he learned something while there. And hopefully he understands the battle he is in, if he is actually in the battle for himself.

Don't lose heart. If he feels remorse, that is a good sign. Maybe some "encouragement"will help. No doubt he was told to go to meetings and was given a list. Ask him about it or go online to find something near you - very easy to do. More exposure to those who have struggled may help guide him in the right direction. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome, bama. as mentioned, the F&F forum is a great place here. you can learn about boundaries and a whole lot more there
Old 03-12-2018, 11:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry Bama. I never went to rehab but my loved ones were as baffled angry and disappointed as you are.

I'm not proud of that, but eventually I had a window of clarity and realised that drinking was killing me, soul first.

I hope your husband will have a a similar realisation, soon.

I am glad you found us tho - you'll find a lot of support wisdom and understanding here.

D