Notices

Off topic born or raised or choice on addiction

Old 03-13-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I didn't come this far to only come this far

I'm with Scott on this one. While I expect I may have a genetic weakness that the frequency of drinking over time cemented, the bottom line is I cannot drink in moderation, so I cannot drink at all. Never ever, and that's no hardship, really... well, except for right now (19 days in) while I feel like cr@p. But this too shall pass.

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'm of the opinion that it doesn't really matter so much. I am an alcoholic, and the solution is the same no matter how I got here.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Can’t agree more with people me and alcohol doesn’t mix well anymore alcohol says we’re still friends but I know different I declined it’s calls a lot.... I was just curious on how many people believe they had an addiction in them at a young age no matter what drink or drug it is I get addicted maybe I’m addicted to reality escape but thanks for post hopefully everyone beats the addiction and has an amazing life in recovery!!! You deserve it!!!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can only speak to alcohol, as its the only drug I've experienced.

While there is some evidence supporting a genetic predisposition toward alcoholism, that's not the same as being 'born an addict'. I drank alcohol occasionally, like a normal (i.e. non-addicted) person for years, until I *CHOSE* to begin self-medicating with it to the point where I became addicted. I knew what I was doing, but chose to ignore the consequences. When I was drinking, I didn't consider myself a victim, and I still don't think I was.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xxxNICHOLExxx View Post
Reason I thought of this was cause my son said when he gets older he wants to drink beer and I told him no because it’s nasty and bad for you then he wanted to know why do mom and dad do it then which I’m trying to stop just question came to mind
Heredity is the #1 factor in alcoholism, with environment being #2.
Children look up to their parents and are very observant. When they see you getting drunk all the time, they start to see this as normal, even "cool" behaviour which often leads to serious problems.
I would do all you can to get yourself sober not just for yourself, but for your kid as well.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Heredity is the #1 factor in alcoholism, with environment being #2.
Children look up to their parents and are very observant. When they see you getting drunk all the time, they start to see this as normal, even "cool" behaviour which often leads to serious problems.
I would do all you can to get yourself sober not just for yourself, but for your kid as well.
Then Enviroment is #1, if I'm reading your post right