Notices

18 days sober, and wondering when it gets better?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I didn't come this far to only come this far

18 days sober, and wondering when it gets better?

Hello, all.

I've been sober now for 18 days, and did not anticipate how bad I'd continue to feel this far in. I understand everyone is different, but my family relies completely on my income and the symptoms are making it very hard to do my job.

Background: I'm in my late 50's and have drunk the equivalent of a bottle of wine daily (or more sometimes) for 20+ years. I've quit before, sometimes tapering off first, but this time I quit cold turkey (18 days ago). I wanted to be done with it.

I've never really hit "rock bottom" completely, but realized that I was hurting my heath, and if I'm to take care of my young family (I'm the only real bread winner), I need to take better care of myself. But I did not anticipate the mental/physical issues that set in.

I'm genuinely concerned about my job. While I know I did not perform as well as I might have while drinking, I'm so much worse now. I'm constantly dizzy, on edge and find it very difficult to focus. I've leadership job where very crisp intellect is critical.

I know people at work can tell I'm waaaay off. They've said so. I can only use a viral respiratory infection (which I did have) as an excuse for so long. Will the fog clear soon? I don't recall it being this bad in the past when I've quit. No worries, this will be the last time I do.

Never going to drink again, but very worried I may loose my job if I cannot work properly soon. I took a few days off over the past two weeks (I'm lucky I could), but now need to be able to think and do my job. Any advice and encouragement would be welcome.

So very happy to have found this forum.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-12-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Steve
Well done on your sobriety! It takes time for your body to settle and repair itself. Be kind to yourself, eat well and, if push comes to shove, you could extend the work viral situation by saying the GP thinks it may be a reoccurence of glandular fever which takes ages to get over.

Youve been drinking for 20 years or so. Recovery wont happen over night..

Keep coming here and maybe do the daily sign in.

All the best
Old 03-12-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Steve and welcome!

Unfortunately there's no timetable for when the brain fog, etc., gets better. Everyone is different, and the range is very wide -- like between 2 days and 2 years depending on the individual.

The good news is that even if you're one of the people for whom it takes a bit longer, it always does get better over time. "Time takes time" is one of the old recovery saws with a lot of truth to it.

Beyond common-sense actions such as healthy diet, sleep, exercise, and recovery work, there's not much you can do other than to try to relax. It sounds like you put a lot of pressure on yourself at your job and at home. The biochemical anxiety of early sobriety is tough enough without adding to it by putting a lot of expectations on yourself, so "easy does it" (another old recovery saw) -- try not to worry too much, and trust in the knowledge that things will work eventually out as long as you continue to stay sober and participate actively in recovery.

Are you doing anything for recovery beyond just stopping drinking?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile Thank you all for your support and advice!

Originally Posted by Andante View Post

Beyond common-sense actions such as healthy diet, sleep, exercise, and recovery work, there's not much you can do other than to try to relax. It sounds like you put a lot of pressure on yourself at your job and at home. The biochemical anxiety of early sobriety is tough enough without adding to it by putting a lot of expectations on yourself, so "easy does it" (another old recovery saw) -- try not to worry too much, and trust in the knowledge that things will work eventually out as long as you continue to stay sober and participate actively in recovery.

Are you doing anything for recovery beyond just stopping drinking?
Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice. Yes, I realize the stress I'm putting on myself about work isn't helping. I'm sure some of that is anxiety I don't normally have brought about by my body/brain chemistry being out of wack?

I'm doing my best to do some of the things you've recommended, e.g. eating well, I took a long walk yesterday at my wife's suggestion, and am lucky that my sleep hasn't been too bad since quitting. AA isn't right for me, but your advice and support really helps.

Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steve

Yeah, when you drink for years like I suspect you and I did, it's gonna take a little while to be back firing on all cylinders.

They call it recovery because lets face it. self inflicted or not, we're recovering from a pretty serious health condition.

Things got lot better for me after 30 days - I hope they will for you too - who knows....your timetable may even be a little quicker?

D
Old 03-13-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you gotten your blood work done? Alcohol leaches our bodies of vital nutrients like B vitamins (B1 especially), magnesium etc. Deficiencies in those areas can prolong physical symptoms. Blood sugar can also get really messed up. Be sure and eat regularly and hydrate like crazy. Electrolytes can be way off.

Caffeine can also make, at least me, crazy in the beginning. Anxiety and shakes etc are far worse.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why have you ruled out AA? Have you tried it - or have you looked into other recovery programs like SMART, etc? Most of us with any good amount of sober time find that a program of action (mine is indeed AA but you can find plenty of folks around here who find success in recovery using different methods) is critical.

Best to you.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Have you gotten your blood work done? Alcohol leaches our bodies of vital nutrients like B vitamins (B1 especially), magnesium etc. Deficiencies in those areas can prolong physical symptoms. Blood sugar can also get really messed up. Be sure and eat regularly and hydrate like crazy. Electrolytes can be way off.

Caffeine can also make, at least me, crazy in the beginning. Anxiety and shakes etc are far worse.
Wow... you've hit the nail on the head about the caffeine. Thanks so much. I just figured that two days ago on my own. That's one of the things I love about this site, is the good advice that might have helped sooner had I joined before yesterday. Thanks again.

Per your other points, yes, I'm taking a fairly high-dose b-vitamin, and magnesium from the start. I realized, again later than I should have, that I was dehydrated, and am drinking more water. What about other electrolytes (besides magnesium), as water alone probably isn't enough?

Old 03-13-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Why have you ruled out AA? Have you tried it - or have you looked into other recovery programs like SMART, etc? Most of us with any good amount of sober time find that a program of action (mine is indeed AA but you can find plenty of folks around here who find success in recovery using different methods) is critical.

Best to you.
Thank you. Interestingly I just recommended AA to a friend an hour ago. I have several extended family members who have benefited greatly from their attendance of AA meetings and sponsorship. Your suggestion of SMART may, though, be a better fit for me personally. Not in anyway meant as a criticism of AA's good work.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Stephan,

I am 56 days sober with a similar drinking pattern to you and a pretty responsible job where I manage people as well as work with people who are often in crisis.

At 18 days I was still dealing with quite a few physical side effects from quitting. One which still gets me now is I struggle to find the right word and have that ‘it’s on the tip of my tongue’ feeling which never happened before and I put down to brain fog.

I did get my blood work done when I quit and it showed a few things of concern, I also had really elevated blood pressure which I now take medication for and feel a lot better as a result.

The good news is the physical withdrawal effects did subside (occasional brain fog not withstanding) after about a month. I still have not got into really good sleep habits so often get tired, but I am performing at work SO much better. Waking up with a clear head and just being able to manage my time better has meant my mornings especially are more productive.

Hang in there 18 days is a great start and a lot of what you are feeling is your body starting to heal and find its new equilibrium once it realises alcohol is not coming back and it doesn’t have to compensate for its loss.

AA is not an option for me either, I have found joining a class here on SR absolutely invaluable to share my experiences with people who are on a similar journey of recovery.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you, Scott, and congratulations for making 56 days!!!

Someone else also asked me about blood work, and I forgot to respond. I was feeling so ill these past two weeks (I had a viral respiratory infection... though withdrawal was likely as big a culprit) that I visited a doctor who did do blood tests, including B12 and Folate, both of which were fine as I started taking a supplement day-one when I stopped drinking. Oddly my iron was low.

As for blood pressure I was already on two meds before quitting alcohol two weeks ago. I've been watching it, though have not had major issues. My bigest problems have been mental. Feeling dizzy, hard to concentrate, and such. I'm actually a bit better today (day 19), though it may be as much due to the encouragement you all have provided, as it is the passing of just one day.

On that point, thanks again!
Old 03-14-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 20 nearly under my belt! Woke feeling bad this morning, after a better day yesterday, but that's likely to be expected? Good days and bad days? I'm confident with time they'll be many more good to bad. Hope everyone else is doing okay? Hugs from Dallas (of all places). ~Steve
Old 03-14-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you're still a little up and down, but early recovery is all about ups and downs, just like life in general.

Don't start thinking you're doing something wrong - it s normal for a while Stephan

D