Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

New to alcohol recovery- 6 days staying sober: yesterday - SATURDAY big challenge !!!

Notices

New to alcohol recovery- 6 days staying sober: yesterday - SATURDAY big challenge !!!

Old 03-11-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 days staying sober. Yesterday ( SATURDAY ) was the real proof to see if im commited to this. Had an invitation to a birthday party of one of my best friends. Cannot say no. I live in southwest florida and it is very common to do a BBQ on parties. You can see the picture: beers, liquor, music, etc. Showed up and all my male friends with a beer on hand, as always. Offered me 1 and when I said " no thanks", they all were looking at me like if I was sick or something. Just said that I wanted to stay that night with just water and after a while they stopped pressuring me to drink my 1st beer. Believe me: this has been so far the most DIFFICULT challenge. In other circumstances, I would have started drinking with them and end up drunk. I enjoyed the night, the meat and music.
Something that never happened to me before: I was able to see all my friends getting drunk and how ridicolous they act and look. I don't want to quit meeting them. I really appreciate their friendship and we do other activities that don't involve drinkink/partying.
I'm proud of myself of doing this last night. I feel sooooooo goooood today. No hangovers, not feeling guilty. I want to continue on this commitment, 1 day at a time !
THANKS for reading this !!!
Old 03-11-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's wonderful!
Old 03-11-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great work. And congrats on 6 days. I'm new to this as well.

Just crossed a major challenge myself so I can relate. Use it. It's important to consolidate around small wins as we rebuild our confidence and integrity with ourselves.

-B
Old 03-11-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on sticking it out! I know it's not easy.
For myself in early sobriety, I need to not tempt the beast and so I stay away from alcohol. But I am very glad you handled it so well.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats great, well done. That was a real challenge so early in your recovery. Next time you meet up with your friends make sure its an alcohol free event!

I know what you mean about watching people change, they look stupid when you are sober. I am sure they are having fun but it is hard for us to join in when we are on a different wavelength. Take care, Stay strong.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Cerati73!
Old 03-11-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's fab don't it feel good. Day 8 for me yesterday Saturday night was a big challenge for me too and today.
It's great feeling great no hang overs and getting so much more out of my days.
Well done for completing your challenge keep up the good work 😊
Old 03-11-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us, Cerati - great job on your 6 sober ones. Posting here really helped me in the early days - and I never left. Plenty of encouragement to be found here.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through ok Cerati

I still advise caution tho - it's best not to put yourself in too many challenging situations, at least for while.

I'd get through 2 or 3 boozy get togethers no problem and then- without any fight simply drink the next time. stay vigilant

D