Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I fear re-engaging with an old hobby due to being exposed to alcohol

Notices

I fear re-engaging with an old hobby due to being exposed to alcohol

Old 03-12-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used to drink to gain the courage to dance. After I got sober, I discovered I no longer needed help finding the courage to dance like no-one was watching. I had it all along.
In my early sobriety I struggled doing things as simple as working in the yard or carpentry work - because I never did it without drinking. Once I was able to disassociate tasks with drinking, I no longer experienced anxiety over it.
Even when tiling a floor, I had my tools within arms reach and a beer was always among my tools. It took some 'training' on my part to stop reaching for that invisible beer when I resumed my life. In time, I no longer reached for that invisible beer. Today, it's like I never drank. Doesn't even cross my mind.

Went to dinner with a couple the other night. I ordered my hot tea AND I was able to give a recommendation for which beer to choose to a friend. And it didn't even phase me or even tempt me to want one. I don't drink, period.

In time you too will not even notice other people drinking among you. It's true.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi tiredwoman. I'm a musician and 27 months sober. I don't have a problem performing in venues with alcohol, but my drinking was always solitary; I wouldn't drink in clubs but afterwards I would really let loose at home or after-party and drink to oblivion.
When I perform I notice when people are drunk--the sad, embarrassing behavior-and it strengthens my resolve to never drink again.
45 days is wonderful, and it's good to be concerned about the club atmosphere. Just take things easy and enjoy your sober life. Sobriety rocks!