Notices

Trying Not To Do Too Much Helps Me

Old 03-11-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hopefor2018

Trying Not To Do Too Much Helps Me

In the past, when I've attempted to stop drinking, I felt the need to do something to keep me busy so I wouldn't drink. I would come home from work and think, I don't want to drink so I will do the laundry, and clean the bathroom, and walk the dogs, make lunch for tomorrow, etc., etc.

What this did is put me in a manic state until I was too tired to do another thing. This made me want to drink so badly because I would feel a need to relax.

This time instead of filling the alcohol void with "meaningful
activities", I am filling it with... nothing. This time, I have been coming home from work and putting my PJs on. This time, I'm listening to relaxing music, going on Facebook to play Word, or coming here to express my feelings and listen to others' feelings.

Currently there is a basket of clean laundry sitting behind me. It is spilling over on to the bed, next to the dog who is napping. It's going to stay there until I feel like putting it away.

I'm enjoying my relaxing morning with my coffee and the company of my dogs instead.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds good, hopeful.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's awesome! I had the same patterns as you, Tasmanian-Devil activity followed by completely checking out through drinking. That's one of the reasons I love reading in sobriety, it engages my mind but doesn't drain me.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hope,

For me...wanting to quit is half the battle won. I got education from here and the internet. I suffered horribly off and on for months. The crave, the anxiety, obsession.

I could feel myself getting better each day. Everything was a trigger, because i drank off and on everywhere, anytime, over everything.

It was a lifestyle change. I checked into AA. I took night fitness classes. The biggest thing was working out.

After 10 or so minute at the gym, running or doing compound exercise, I get endorphins and adrenaline. Plus my body is getting better. Folks are beginning to notice my physical health. This is better than noticing I am a drunk.

Whatever it takes, by any means needed. Staying sober is my life plan. When I see folks drinking I am not jealous.

I don't miss turning down my brains analysis. That is all booze really did. The issue is the euphoria, physical addiction, and the brain damage.

The brain damage is the thing now. I call it my PAWS. But, it gets better by the moment.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopefor2018 View Post
In the past, when I've attempted to stop drinking, I felt the need to do something to keep me busy so I wouldn't drink. I would come home from work and think, I don't want to drink so I will do the laundry, and clean the bathroom, and walk the dogs, make lunch for tomorrow, etc., etc.

What this did is put me in a manic state until I was too tired to do another thing. This made me want to drink so badly because I would feel a need to relax.

This time instead of filling the alcohol void with "meaningful
activities", I am filling it with... nothing. This time, I have been coming home from work and putting my PJs on. This time, I'm listening to relaxing music, going on Facebook to play Word, or coming here to express my feelings and listen to others' feelings.

Currently there is a basket of clean laundry sitting behind me. It is spilling over on to the bed, next to the dog who is napping. It's going to stay there until I feel like putting it away.

I'm enjoying my relaxing morning with my coffee and the company of my dogs instead.
Great post. I think we should all do what works for us as individuals. Something that works for me won't work for someone else. So I say if it works for you, do it. Good luck and stay sober x
Old 03-11-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally relate to this. When I have really productive and energetic days...the temptation to drink at night is 100000% higher.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's what I've been doing! I'm currently going to listen to a podcast and make some breakfast and then shower when I feel like I want to
Old 03-11-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Yup, I could've written your post word-for-word. I'd take on a freakish amount of 'stuff' to do, only to eventually get overwhelmed.

I've slowed down considerably in the past few weeks - cut back on extracurriculars, not beat myself up over chores, and just relaaaaaax. I've been playing lots of video games with my son, which has been great for bonding time with him.

I feel it's been important to me to learn how to unwind without the aid of alcohol.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can soooo relate to this. It's the control freak thing in us. Feels good to let the world do it's own spinning for a change.

-B