Notices

Hello 👋.. I’m new to SR

Old 03-10-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello 👋.. I’m new to SR

Hey guy’s

I have literally just registered to the site and thought I would say hello. I am on day 6 of recovery and am finding it difficult to sleep. I am also going out for a meal tomorrow and this will be the first time I will come into contact with alcohol in the 6 days and I’m scared I’m going to have a glass of wine with my meal.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sxc; really glad that you have joined us.

Well done on 6 days of sobriety.

Being around alcohol so early in recovery can be dangerous to your sobriety. I would suggest rescheduling the meal or cancelling.

Stay close.

We care.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a helpful place
It was really good for me when i first decided to quit drinking
Old 03-10-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I hope you stick around. It is a great place with ton of support.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sxc89 View Post
Hey guy’s

I have literally just registered to the site and thought I would say hello. I am on day 6 of recovery and am finding it difficult to sleep. I am also going out for a meal tomorrow and this will be the first time I will come into contact with alcohol in the 6 days and I’m scared I’m going to have a glass of wine with my meal.
congrats on six days that's amazing! I found that exercise really helped to fight insomnia early on insobriety. I also found that staying away from alcohol in all instances possible was important to my Sobriety. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us. Sxc. Six days is wonderful.

I had a lot of trouble sleeping in the early days. We're living in a whole new way & our bodies are adjusting. I agree that it's a huge temptation to be around alcohol until we have some decent sober time behind us. I have no problem now, but in the first few months it's very hard to be around it. I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you all for making me feel so welcome!

I believe you are all right in what you are saying & as boring as it is I will cancel the meal.

I’m looking forward to getting to know you all and I will make an effort to come and talk at leat once a day
Old 03-10-2018, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sxc - welcome

I agree with all those saying too soon, but you can think outside the box a little too - what about a restaurant with no booze licence?

My favourite Indian restaurant is an alcohol free zone

D
Old 03-10-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Dee

It’s Mothers Day today and her favourite restaurant sells alcohol. I’m thinking of taking her shopping & to the cinema instead (even our cinema has a bar) lol.. The ****** alcohol is following me! 😂☠️
Old 03-10-2018, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd tell her you're not drinking. You can say it's for your health, which is true.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome Sxc Congrats on day 6!
Old 03-10-2018, 09:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How about planning the meal for some place where there is no alcohol or that alcohol isn't customary like a diner?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi and Welcome to SR SXC. Congratulations on Day 6! These were some tough days and you got through them. Well done! I also had a difficult time sleeping. I agree with the others in staying away from any place that serves alcohol during your early days of sobriety, most particularly since you've already voiced that you're scared of drinking. Hang in there.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Rar, I think you’ll find this community to be a great comfort and support. Glad you’ve joined us. I’m on day 6 as well. I’ve got the opposite problem and have sleeping TONS, but that’s also how I cope with anxiety normally (other than self medicating with booze), and I’m still getting weird night sweats... point being: I think it definitely messes with your sleep for most of us!

The consensus seems to definitely be to stay away from booze altogether and it’s great you’ve rescheduled your dinner. I also like the idea of booking somewhere that doesn’t serve alcohol- that’s a great tip.

For me personally (and if it helps you in the future when you are ready) I was with friends on the weekend and pre-emptied them beforehand by text that I was on antibiotics ‘that would make me throw up if I drank with them’ (so they couldn’t pull an ‘oh I’m sure just one drink will be fine for your body’ but thought I’d actually puke), and I pre-planned in my head exactly what I would order (pint of soda water with lime cordial, ice and a slice of fresh lime).

But you know yourself and we can be our own best advocate as well as our worst enemy... so good to take temptation entirely out of your future selve’s hands for now!
Old 03-11-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey im new too 😊
Day 8 for me last night was the first night I slept through.
Until then sweating and waking all hours so it gets better.
Today was the first time I've been out for meal it's mother's day here in the UK and like you I thought the temptation would get the better of me.
I was offered bubbly from the waiter I refused and just seeing my son smile and the shocked faces made me feel good I am strong and in control not the other way round. I have never had an elderflower spritzer before and actually enjoyed it it will be my new drink .
Also I was watching others drinking getting loud one spilling wine all over the table repeating themselves lol
Your doing great good luck
Old 03-11-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! And good job on Day 6.

I think you made a good decision to skip the meal out. There will be a time when you feel comfortable to do that, but early on, it can be really tough.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Sxc! Congrats on day 6. I had issues sleeping for the first week or so, after that it smoothed out. Hope that's the case for you too. Good luck on your journey towards recovery!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Welcome! Congrats on your 6 days!!!

Old 03-11-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

How did it go sxc ?

D