Notices

Everything happens for a reason right?

Old 03-10-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Everything happens for a reason right?

So it's day 7!!! My naivety thought I could moderate to one bottle on a Saturday night..Thank God I found this site and you guys helped me see sense that it's not possible (Thank you) .
It's Saturday evening and I am really fighting my demons. I have been drinking solidly for 26 years since I buried my son. Today I am constantly thinking about alcohol, wow my mouth has not stopped watering!! Does anyone else experience this like really watering. My hands are trembling but I'm fighting it. I never thought id make a week this is the first time ive tried to stop.
I was hoping for a promotion and for 2 weeks the bosses has delayed communication since my interview.
And TODAY I get called I've got the Job!
Wahoo I was meant to get that call today cause it's the best incentive to not drink another day. I need to be focused and have a good mathical head for this job.
Instead of celebrating with alcohol tonight I've spent the money on ingredients to keep my mind off drinking to cook in the kitchen tonight. I'm going to bed happy and sober tonight.. Thanks again all for your support God bless you all.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the new job
I found in the beginning that I felt less 'left out' if I marked the weekends in other ways - either buying something with the money I would have spent on alcohol, or doing something I didn't have time for in the week - like a long hot bubble bath for hours. It really helped to feel part of the weekend still.
I also spent hours on here and in the arcade (up top of page) - It soon becomes normal though, to just want to relax or whatever it is you like doing, that makes you happiest
Old 03-10-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Zanna.
Yes that's what I thought spend the money I would of spent on something i actually like doing.
I previously always have good intentions to cook something nice then I start drinking then don't want to eat and too buzzing to concentrate on cooking. I feel proud right now that I feel hungry and want to cook something nice. It's the small things...
Tomorrow I plan to sort the wardrobe I've been meaning to do forever! Ha
Old 03-10-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic News about your promotion & 7 days ..Alcohol free
Well Done
I find Saturday nights really tough this is only my 3rd straight weekend without
Wine.. whisky ..
Like Zanna said trying to do something realxing that you don't get to achieve during the week ..really makes the difference.
Enjoy preping & cooking your dinner this evening
Old 03-10-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowlands1 View Post
Fantastic News about your promotion & 7 days ..Alcohol free
Well Done
I find Saturday nights really tough this is only my 3rd straight weekend without
Wine.. whisky ..
Like Zanna said trying to do something realxing that you don't get to achieve during the week ..really makes the difference.
Enjoy preping & cooking your dinner this evening
Thank you and well done to you too! good luck to you this weekend. We can do this! 👊😊
Old 03-10-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your job and your week maxjm

D
Old 03-10-2018, 11:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on the new job. And good call on staying sober and doing something productive instead of sitting there staring at your cravings (which I seem to remember was my favourite new form of procrastination for a while ).

BB
Old 03-10-2018, 11:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congratulations on your job and your week maxjm

D
Thank you
Old 03-10-2018, 11:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Congrats on the new job. And good call on staying sober and doing something productive instead of sitting there staring at your cravings (which I seem to remember was my favourite new form of procrastination for a while ).

BB
Thank you
Old 03-10-2018, 11:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post

BB
Thank you
Old 03-11-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your new job!
Old 03-11-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Quick reply to your thread's title - "everything happens for a reason."

My very humble take, to the best I can discern: yes. I have little doubt about that now.

Carry on and congrats.

-B
Old 03-11-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love to cook, it clears my mind and keeps me busy.
I'm so sorry for your loss and I am super happy you found us and continue the sober journey, you are worth it!!!
Old 03-11-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on the promotion! I started a diet last Sat and was going crazy obsessing about various foods,that I rarely even eat, for about 4days.. It's the closest feeling I can relate to when I quit drinking.. Had a 'cheat meal' with my daughter this afternoon and I've been regretting it ever since. Really reminds me of when I'd 'toy' with stopping drinking and go out to test my moderation and then feel like crude. Was planning on a 'cheat dinner' too,but I'm going to skip that. LOL
Old 03-12-2018, 01:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
I love to cook, it clears my mind and keeps me busy.
I'm so sorry for your loss and I am super happy you found us and continue the sober journey, you are worth it!!!
Thank you. To achieve 9 days feels so surreal it's like I'm on a natural high. I'm obsessed with staying dry. I have my son's birthday coming up and every year I would get the box of photos out reminiscing. I would drink myself into a slumber.
I'm thinking of ways to avoid that to fight the urges. I hope im as strong as I am now.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Congrats on the promotion! I started a diet last Sat and was going crazy obsessing about various foods,that I rarely even eat, for about 4days.. It's the closest feeling I can relate to when I quit drinking.. Had a 'cheat meal' with my daughter this afternoon and I've been regretting it ever since. Really reminds me of when I'd 'toy' with stopping drinking and go out to test my moderation and then feel like crude. Was planning on a 'cheat dinner' too,but I'm going to skip that. LOL
Hey thanks.
It's really strange isn't it how we have to obsess over something? I guess it's the addiction in us. At first I obsessed over how much I ate I didn't eat much at all and I'm battling with food. Thinking about it all the time. Trying to eat healthily. Now I'm thinking I must join a gym. It's like I want to do so many things all at once why can't I just slow down and do one thing at a time just deal with going without the booze first??! It's almost like if you don't don't these things you'll go back to booze. I'm starting to think maybe I have mental health issues. Why can't I just be normal??
Sorry I'm waffling.
Well done to you . Good luck with the diet I guess so what if you cheat with the meals you can always try again the next day without a banging hang over. Keep going 😊
Old 03-12-2018, 01:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Max. I am so sorry for your loss. A parent losing a child is a pain no one should experience. You are doing so well stopping drinking. You are doing well over a week. Keep coming here and reading posts and posting yourself. Your son would want you to be well and happy, you deserve that for yourself too. Stay strong and stay close. Well done on the promotion too, you should be proud of yourself.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just wanted to drop by and congratulate you on your 7 days. This is an amazing achievement and you should be very proud of yourself. This is the start of a new chapter in your life and I'm glad you're here.

Congratulations! Welcome to sobriety
Old 03-12-2018, 02:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julietUK View Post
Hi Max. I am so sorry for your loss. A parent losing a child is a pain no one should experience. You are doing so well stopping drinking. You are doing well over a week. Keep coming here and reading posts and posting yourself. Your son would want you to be well and happy, you deserve that for yourself too. Stay strong and stay close. Well done on the promotion too, you should be proud of yourself.
Thank you Juliet ❤
Old 03-12-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Maxjm

Onward!