Notices

Not new here, very new to really wanting to change

Old 03-08-2018, 11:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not new here, very new to really wanting to change

Hello. Very much not new here. Very new to the idea of wanting to change: 2 days in, active in AA, and I just want to be different. I know all the phrases, know all the dogma. My problem may or may not have cost me the love of an amazing woman. We'll know in about 3 months. Have a good sponser, have a great friend helping me. Lots more to the story but I really want to change, and not be like I have been. Just wanted to throw that out there and see what I get. This had been about an 8 year process for me. I'm not proud of that, but there it is. Roughly 48 hours in and very much wanting a drink or 20. Don't have anything to drink and everything is closed here, so no worries there for tonight. At what point does the craving and need begin to go away? Just looking for a little help. Thanks in advance and I really appreciate anyone who responds.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ruturn and welcome back.

I drank for 20 years or so more or less...the cravings and obsession to drink got a lot less after 30 days for me,
I really plugged myself into this community - posted and read everyday, if not for me, I posted to help someone else.

You could do worse

D
Old 03-08-2018, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Ruturn View Post
At what point does the craving and need begin to go away? Just looking for a little help. Thanks in advance and I really appreciate anyone who responds.
The realisation that the craving/obsession had lifted came directly after step five when I was doing my one hour review. That is when I realised it had happened.

It had actually happened sometime earlier but I was too busy with the program to notice. Like they say, friends noticed the change in me before I did.

It was quite an incredible moment when my sponsor told me I had been sober for 90 days. Nobody was more surprised than me. I had gone all that time without any serious desire for a drink. Prior to that the best I could manage was three weeks on my own power.

To answer your question, IME, any sort of debilitating craving or urge or unconscious action (which was my main problem) left immediately I began sincerely working the program and taking direction without argument or question.

It seems while everyone else was in the queue getting a good helping of intellect, I got myself an extra serve of stupidity and thus was too stupid and ignorant to argue about any of it. Being stupid doesn't seem to have been a handicap though. I have been sober ever since.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both, you've both helped me tonight. I appreciate it.