Notices

Weekender 08-12 March 2017

Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Do you have grocery delivery where you live, goodbyeevan?
Old 03-10-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Who is that clown?

Good morning weekenders. STD - Did George Foreman start selling ukuleles now?
Many of you may not know me - from the forum. I have 4 years sober at about the beginning of the year. I'm coming up on my 4th anniversary of discovering this forum - March 17th I believe is when I first logged onto the forums.

When I first came here, things were very bad for me, I just lost my job with all of the angst that came with that ( depression and more - am I gonna lose my house, my wife etc.) along with trying to stay sober for the first time in almost 40 years - yeah I started young. This forum became my refuge. I spent a lot of time here. The weekender became a kind of 'club' for some of us. A lot of levity and silliness among other things filled the time, but whenever there was serious business, things got serious. Anyone in need of support or advice always takes priority over some of the sophomoric shenanigans that went on.

I made a post yesterday and said, "It's good to be me." It may have offended some of you - who does this guy think he is?
I'll tell you why it's good to be me. As down and out as I was, not wanting to go on sometimes, I've grown a lot since becoming sober.
I'm far from rich but I'm not starving. I've adapted my lifestyle and my priorities have changed. In the past I was fully entrenched in what I like to call "the machine". The machine, work and all of the trappings/expectations of modern society seemed to rule my life. Working over 12 hour shifts night and day also took its toll on me.
Anyway, living life and enjoying the little things, the simple things, has become a rewarding existence. I got exited when the purple crocus came up - the yellow come up first. I like to keep things light and humorous. My stress level was way over the top years ago, people would tell me I was too serious - honest.
So when I show up here (on the weekenders) out of the blue with some sort of goofiness, don't think I don't care or am not concerned about what some of you are going through. I'm hoping that some levity may lighten your mood, AND that you can aspire to one day be like me. No, not a goofball, but someone who has 4 years sober and an entire different outlook on life. Believe them when they say it does get better. Hang in there, it does get better. BUT, don't expect miracles, life is what you make it - you don't need money to be happy - so learn how to make yourself happy along the way. "The Sacred Path of the Warrior" is a little book all should read. Guugle it, it's easy to find. It changed the way I think. And there are many other resources available to help you along in your journey to appreciating life. It is MY recovery. I got sober separately from "recovery". Get sober first - by whatever means - then work on yourself as a person. Getting sober can take as little as one day just in case you're wondering. And as long as you never drink again, you'll remain sober. It's what you do after that fact that will determine how successful you will be at enjoying sobriety. It's a blast!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Happy Afternoon All....
Off to an indoor trampoline park with my 11 year old daughter this evening !
This morning she asked if I could still do a back hand sp
Old 03-10-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Stupid iPad ....
Back handspring ...
I'm now 43 years old ..not sure if it's a wise move ...
Will let you know tomorrow if I can still walk...
Joys of not drinking
Old 03-10-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thankyou LBrain,
I throughly enjoyed reading your post..
Funny how you mentioned the purple crocus..while out walking my dogs
I saw some last week & just stood & admired them in there beauty..
Simplicity it's a beautiful thing.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Checking in from New Orleans. Sober at a wasted wedding weekend.
Glad to see everyone here.
Wow.....wasted wedding weekend? Gosh....glad you are alright.
Stick CLOSE. We got your back.

And I have all sorts of yummy flavoured lattes for anyone who wants... ♥
Old 03-10-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
The former Mrs Sao said much the same thing to no avail. I brush it and it needs brushing again within days.

I did credibly well at Ten Pin Bowling tonight but heard a disturbing piece of info that an 800 foot high building might be being built near my flat (apartment). I can barely see the sky as it is.
So so funny...but the tall building isn't.
I imagine you can all protest....we did that in Melbourne to great effect.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Many of you may not know me - from the forum. I have 4 years sober at about the beginning of the year. I'm coming up on my 4th anniversary of discovering this forum - March 17th I believe is when I first logged onto the forums.

When I first came here, things were very bad for me, I just lost my job with all of the angst that came with that ( depression and more - am I gonna lose my house, my wife etc.) along with trying to stay sober for the first time in almost 40 years - yeah I started young. This forum became my refuge. I spent a lot of time here. The weekender became a kind of 'club' for some of us. A lot of levity and silliness among other things filled the time, but whenever there was serious business, things got serious. Anyone in need of support or advice always takes priority over some of the sophomoric shenanigans that went on.

I made a post yesterday and said, "It's good to be me." It may have offended some of you - who does this guy think he is?
I'll tell you why it's good to be me. As down and out as I was, not wanting to go on sometimes, I've grown a lot since becoming sober.
I'm far from rich but I'm not starving. I've adapted my lifestyle and my priorities have changed. In the past I was fully entrenched in what I like to call "the machine". The machine, work and all of the trappings/expectations of modern society seemed to rule my life. Working over 12 hour shifts night and day also took its toll on me.
Anyway, living life and enjoying the little things, the simple things, has become a rewarding existence. I got exited when the purple crocus came up - the yellow come up first. I like to keep things light and humorous. My stress level was way over the top years ago, people would tell me I was too serious - honest.
So when I show up here (on the weekenders) out of the blue with some sort of goofiness, don't think I don't care or am not concerned about what some of you are going through. I'm hoping that some levity may lighten your mood, AND that you can aspire to one day be like me. No, not a goofball, but someone who has 4 years sober and an entire different outlook on life. Believe them when they say it does get better. Hang in there, it does get better. BUT, don't expect miracles, life is what you make it - you don't need money to be happy - so learn how to make yourself happy along the way. "The Sacred Path of the Warrior" is a little book all should read. Guugle it, it's easy to find. It changed the way I think. And there are many other resources available to help you along in your journey to appreciating life. It is MY recovery. I got sober separately from "recovery". Get sober first - by whatever means - then work on yourself as a person. Getting sober can take as little as one day just in case you're wondering. And as long as you never drink again, you'll remain sober. It's what you do after that fact that will determine how successful you will be at enjoying sobriety. It's a blast!
Like LBrain, I have been here for a bit....sober 3 years and 4 months odd....and I post....I am involved.....but somehow I only recently found this thread. I knew it was here, but hadn't visited......shame on me.

I am meeting amazing people....new friends who I feel like I already know. Old SR friends that I am getting to know better.

I loved your post yesterday....I love that it is great to be you....I love that you feel this way.

I am honoured to read the amazing posts in this thread and to be part of the fun and frivolity and smarts. And of course advice and compassion and togetherness...and sobriety. Boy do I love that.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowlands1 View Post
Happy Afternoon All....
Off to an indoor trampoline park with my 11 year old daughter this evening !
This morning she asked if I could still do a back hand sp
Originally Posted by Rowlands1 View Post
Stupid iPad ....
Back handspring ...
I'm now 43 years old ..not sure if it's a wise move ...
Will let you know tomorrow if I can still walk...
Joys of not drinking
Oooooo, awesome......I want to come!!!!
Old 03-10-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Love you too darling Gilmer and you too bim. ♥♥

(Hmmmm......mooshy cat this morning )
Old 03-10-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I did a back handspring once—in ninth grade!

Needs a bit of qualifying, though.

I couldn’t get any farther than a shaky tripod.

Then my gym teacher announced that I was going to do a back handspring!

I stood facing forward on the mat, then she and six girls picked me up off the ground, turned me over in the air with much struggling, and set me back down!

The only gym teacher I had in my whole life who ever showed a shred of kindness!
Old 03-10-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Ha ha Venuscat, you just had to correct separate(ly) didn't you. I noticed my adverb was incorrectly used but too late to fix it - yeah I can be anal too... Glad you are a part of this group and glad that all of you are here.

Just picked up the rolls I ordered. I made sausages this morning, hot eye-talian and regular eye-talian, cooked up some peppers and onions, and got some provolone. Sausages are in crock pot with some marinara sauce. Heading off to provide lunch for my co-workers over the past four months.
Keep on keepin on...
Old 03-10-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

How funny love....I didn't correct anything.....of course having a Scottish mother means I am the most pedantic person on the planet, he he.....

and you made sausages, wow....I want to do that...I can't get the thin plain beef ones here that we have in Australia. I must ask you how....mind you, it sounds like a lot of work. ♥
Old 03-10-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

How I make sausages is quite simple actually. It may take a little time though. I troll the meat section of the supermarket until I see that they are marked down $2 a pound. Then I buy them. And since it is too cold and snow is still covering my grill, I used a big pan and fry them on the stove, just giving them enough of a 'burn' to simulate that grilled effect, and punch holes in the casing so the 'juice' escapes to provide a nice flavor to the outside of the casing. Then I fry my peppers and onions in that same "juice" to give them a little extra...

Lunch delivered and 'buffet' set up.

I see that Venuscat did not correct my post. It was a different one that I lost sleep over where I used 'separate' instead of 'separately'.

Tonight heading into Philly to see "Shen Yun" at the Merriam Theater, preceded by dinner at a Japanese restaurant. If you knew sushi like I know sushi... With my favorite drink too, hot green tea.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

You’ll have to tell us all about Shen Yun!
Old 03-10-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I often shop with a backpack goodbyeevan as I live in London and driving anywhere is torture. I find its the liquids that are the hardest to backpack. One good thing is you won't have to haul a sixpack or two now.

Great post LBrain. I saw some crocuses (croci? I don't know the plural) anyway it was good to see them.

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
When I was young and didn't know better I used to think George Formby was simply inexplicable, whatever did people see in him?but now I think he is a bit of a legend. Refused to play to segregated audiences in South Africa - in 1959! He was banned all the time by the BBC.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Love that Formby video.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

He was great Sao... Have you ever seen this guy?

Ed Sullivan wouldn't stand for it...
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Well, I did ask about the sausages....you are hysterical Lbrain!!!
Old 03-10-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

We just laughed ourselves silly at the Ray Jessel video....wow.....he died though, sad.