Notices

New to Forum

Old 03-07-2018, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Forum

Newcomer here. I've read some posts in the past when I searched certain things but just today signed on. I've really found reading the posts so far to be very helpful. I am 7 days into my sobriety and am still going through some hellish times.
A little background...
I am in my early forties, married, professional male. Like just about everyone I knew at the time I was a daily drinker from about 18-28 but started much earlier than that. Once I got married I began working two jobs which forced me to cut it back to a few times a week. Fast forward fifteen years and that's still my deal but have come to realize it's gotten away from me. My health has been impacted, I've made poor decisions that I will simply qualify as risky, and I am not happy with who I am at this point. Oh, and my wife is a daily drinker whose addiction has reached dangerous levels so, yeah, I'm dealing with that l, too.
Anyway, thanks for giving me a place to vent and put it all out there.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm new to all this too my friend and I don't have a whole lot of advice. Just hang in there be strong cause we both know what the alternative is. That's why we are here. Not sure about you religious views but I've been asking the man upstairs a lot of help the last few days. It seems to help give me the strength I need.
Good luck. Stay in touch
Old 03-07-2018, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Scramm; very nice to meet you.

You will find an abundance of support, understanding and encouragement here.

Congratulations on seven days of sobriety. Well done.

Stay close. We care.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys
Old 03-08-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! Great job on a week. Have you thought about a solid recovery plan?
Old 03-08-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scramm View Post
Newcomer here. I've read some posts in the past when I searched certain things but just today signed on. I've really found reading the posts so far to be very helpful. I am 7 days into my sobriety and am still going through some hellish times.
A little background...
I am in my early forties, married, professional male. Like just about everyone I knew at the time I was a daily drinker from about 18-28 but started much earlier than that. Once I got married I began working two jobs which forced me to cut it back to a few times a week. Fast forward fifteen years and that's still my deal but have come to realize it's gotten away from me. My health has been impacted, I've made poor decisions that I will simply qualify as risky, and I am not happy with who I am at this point. Oh, and my wife is a daily drinker whose addiction has reached dangerous levels so, yeah, I'm dealing with that l, too.
Anyway, thanks for giving me a place to vent and put it all out there.
Hi Scramm!

Hope Day 8 is going well for you. I'm on day 7. My husband is also a daily drinker. Due to medical reasons I told him that he really needed to lay off the booze and that if he quit than so would I. He's on tons of medications and his liver enzymes are beginning to rise. He needs the medications not the booze so we both decided to quit. It makes it easier to quit drinking when your spouse isn't drinking. Wishing you a great day!
Old 03-08-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Scramm, good call on quitting in early forties. Never look back would be my advice. It gets a lot worse REAL fast from where you are. i.e., not in a linear fashion. Stay quit by any means.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Scramm.

I'm with August - do you have a plan?

I was asked that often on this site, usually by ScottfromWI ha, and it used to frustrate me to be asked. But I now understand the thinking behind the question.

Wanting to get sober is so important. Understanding that we have a problem with booze is huge. But the plan is what gets us to where we want to be.

I'm also a male, 40, wife, kid, stressful professional job in a big city. I've wasted too much of my life already and am committed to taking on my obligations and being the man I'm supposed to be for my family and also for myself.

Welcome, keep posting.

No one is coming to save us.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeekingForMe View Post
Hi Scramm!

Hope Day 8 is going well for you. I'm on day 7. My husband is also a daily drinker. Due to medical reasons I told him that he really needed to lay off the booze and that if he quit than so would I. He's on tons of medications and his liver enzymes are beginning to rise. He needs the medications not the booze so we both decided to quit. It makes it easier to quit drinking when your spouse isn't drinking. Wishing you a great day!
I have tried numerous times to get my wife to do something but it hasn't stuck. I suppose it is mixed messages if I am still drinking so this gives me an added motivation to stay quit. Her level is much worse than mine and I believe she may need professional help in quitting. I have to accept that I can only control me and am unable to control what she does. The only thing I can do is provide an example and hope that it chips at her psyche.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Welcome Scramm.

I'm with August - do you have a plan?

I was asked that often on this site, usually by ScottfromWI ha, and it used to frustrate me to be asked. But I now understand the thinking behind the question.

Wanting to get sober is so important. Understanding that we have a problem with booze is huge. But the plan is what gets us to where we want to be.

I'm also a male, 40, wife, kid, stressful professional job in a big city. I've wasted too much of my life already and am committed to taking on my obligations and being the man I'm supposed to be for my family and also for myself.

Welcome, keep posting.

No one is coming to save us.
Haven't thought about it. Did you develop a plan?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scramm View Post
Haven't thought about it. Did you develop a plan?
Sobriety is one thing. Trouble is, just being sober tends to leave us restless, irritable and discontent without working a recovery plan. It's the recovery work that can make sober living really LIVING sober, not just Being sober. It is what makes sobriety bearable, and sustainable, then comfortable, and one day preferable to life on-the-sauce.

Dee's link is a good one to read more about developing a recovery plan... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

BB
Old 03-08-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Sobriety is one thing. Trouble is, just being sober tends to leave us restless, irritable and discontent without working a recovery plan. It's the recovery work that can make sober living really LIVING sober, not just Being sober. It is what makes sobriety bearable, and sustainable, then comfortable, and one day preferable to life on-the-sauce.
Thanks.
I will give it some thought and come up with something that I think will help
Dee's link is a good one to read more about developing a recovery plan... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

BB
Thanks...I will definitely give it some thought
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things Scramm
D
Old 03-09-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey, Scramm. I'm very glad you're with us--SR is a great place for help and advice. Wishing you and your wife all the best.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Scramm
SR is a great community where you will get a ton of support.
I also highly recommend a recovery plan. Life is still going to happen as we try to recover from the mental, emotional and physical damage we've done to ourselves, and we need to be prepared to deal with that in healthy ways, rather than reverting to what we know best.

Glad you've joined us
It's unfortunate your wife is struggling too, but right now the most important thing is to focus on yourself and your sobriety. She is the only one who can decide if and when she's ready to change.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
Hey, Scramm. I'm very glad you're with us--SR is a great place for help and advice. Wishing you and your wife all the best.
Thanks so much🤗
Old 03-09-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Welcome Scramm
SR is a great community where you will get a ton of support.
I also highly recommend a recovery plan. Life is still going to happen as we try to recover from the mental, emotional and physical damage we've done to ourselves, and we need to be prepared to deal with that in healthy ways, rather than reverting to what we know best.

Glad you've joined us
It's unfortunate your wife is struggling too, but right now the most important thing is to focus on yourself and your sobriety. She is the only one who can decide if and when she's ready to change.
That's what I'm told. I just wish I could help her