Notices

any nurses out there?

Old 03-07-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any nurses out there?

Hi!
I am new to this forum; I found it after searching for a chat room for recovering nurses. I recently lost my job as a nurse due to showing up at work under the influence. As a result I am being reported to my state's nursing board and will be placed in their rehabilitation program and my license will be suspended. Hopefully after completing their program I will be able to work as a nurse again but it will be a long process. I am wondering if there are any other nurses out there?
Thanks!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are out here. Sorry to hear about your license. That is rough
Old 03-07-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep. Been there, done that.

Im sorry you're going through this.

My best decision following my flame-out was to put my recovery first. The licensure board told me what they needed. The truth is that many healthcare professionals die or get irriversably sick before getting busted.

PM me if you have questions.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not a nurse but welcome Jeremiah

D
Old 03-07-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jeremiah; glad that you found us.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeremiah, I'm sorry to hear about your license too. Glad you found SR
Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeremiah, so glad you are here!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! We’re around🙂 Hang in there. Rough and scary in the beginning but worth it.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was in rehab a few years ago and there were 3 nurses in the program while I was there. A couple doctors too. Healthcare sure is stressful! Anyway, I think they all were able to return to their professions after treatment. They did have to submit to regular urine or blood testing as a condition to returning to work I believe.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

My best friend from rehab is a nurse who was caught using intravenous Diladaud on the job, and was an alcoholic as well.

The program for nurses in recovery is comprehensive and has a very high success rate in keeping people sober. Since she has gotten out of rehab about 10 months ago she has mandatory meetings, both AA and NA, and mandatory random testing. Once she jumps through the remaining hoops she will get her license back and return to work, with drug testing for at least 5 years.

If you want to remain in the nursing field you will need to do this. What a blessing. You will be accountable and have lots of skin in the game. If more addict/alcoholics had access to programs like this the relapse rate would be a lot lower.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeremiah1 View Post
Hi!
I am new to this forum; I found it after searching for a chat room for recovering nurses. I recently lost my job as a nurse due to showing up at work under the influence. As a result I am being reported to my state's nursing board and will be placed in their rehabilitation program and my license will be suspended. Hopefully after completing their program I will be able to work as a nurse again but it will be a long process. I am wondering if there are any other nurses out there?
Thanks!
There are plenty of health care professionals in recovery... One state that I know of has a very specific program for recovery.. very comprehensive... 3 months of inpatient, then supervised work requirement for a couple years, and 5 years color code drug testing. Success in the program means you get to maintain your license... failure means loss of license with no chance to try again. not sure about the success rate.

Best wishes in your recovery!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not a nurse but really appreciate the profession! Thanks to all nurses on here and everywhere! That's a tough job I couldn't do and they don't get paid enough.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi,yep I’m a psych nurse... this is why I don’t understand why I drink. Yes it’s an incredibly stressful job but I see people all the time who have messed up their brain from drinking... I once came to work once still feeling drunk. That was a couple of years ago. My manager gave me a friendly hug because the previous shift had been a tough one. I’m sure she could smell the scotch but didn’t say anything. I haven’t done that since but I still drink far too much. I feel trapped. I’m starting today on my road to recovery
Old 03-09-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I read this article not too long ago.... helped me with perspective and gave me some hope. Maybe it will help you?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/15/doctors-addicted-drugs-health-care-diversion/7588401/
Old 03-09-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Now I'm scared of going to nursing school. I thought it would keep me sober because of the responsibilities involved.

I guess I've been out-drank by a female nurse on a date. I'm a dude.

Hrmmm...
Old 03-09-2018, 11:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
Now I'm scared of going to nursing school. I thought it would keep me sober because of the responsibilities involved.

I guess I've been out-drank by a female nurse on a date. I'm a dude.

Hrmmm...
No job will force us to keep sober.

What keeps us so is willingness to work Mon our recovery and not taking that first drink.

If you want to be a nurse because you feel it's your vocation then go for it (when you feel ready). Of course there will be stress and responsibility, but that is found elsewhere as well. That's unavoidable, and that's why its important to work a program of recovery that helps us learn to deal with life as it comes.

BB
Old 03-10-2018, 12:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jer- I am a nurse. 30 years, although I do not practice at present. I started out as unqualified, then an enrolled nurse, then a Registered nurse..then finally a nusing lecturer for underg's.
I was dragged past the Nurses Board twice. The third time I quit because I was such a mess- I blacked out 3 times in all, on duty be-c I helped myself to oral pills. I have not shared this- perhaps the healing starts.
Advice? Do every thing you are told to do- and keep a record of everything you do- people, places, things. A journal- date/time/where etc.
I suggest when facing your board, you take a professional advocate..the nurses union did with me.
Make sure you go to EVERY appointment.
Go to AA meetings and get a sponsor.

Prayers, PJ