Notices

But I Only Drink Beer So I Don't Have a Problem...

Old 03-07-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Beer was always my 'thing'. I sometimes still think "if i'd only stuck to beer I'd not be wrapped up in my drinking". Eventually,even with beer only, I was sucking down a 30pk in 1-2days. You know..because weekend? So, from a "healthy standpoint" I switched it up to vodka....lower carbs? LOL I have a fully stocked bar at my house now and the one thing I don't keep here is beer. If I have a party I'll stock up for it with 'trash beers' and have people bring their own if they want.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hopefor2018

Yeah, I realize alcohol is alcohol. But when I would rationalize my drinking, saying it was "only beer", like it was healthy, would be my excuse.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hopefor2018

Night Two - Into the Danger Zone

Back from work. This is when the cravings generally begin. I'm going to go play with my dogs, do some housework (snowing outside), and maybe try listening to calming music. I can do this. Just for tonight I can NOT drink.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I drank wine partly for pleasure, but it was my weeknight buzz as well. About 2-3 glasses a night during the week for about 10 years....and I was a licensed sommelier.

When I wanted to get drunk, which was Friday and Saturday night, it was a ton of vodka. 5 strong drinks was a light night. Sunday would be hair of the dog. Then back to my weekly wine.

It started escalating to where I'd start the weeknight drinking with a hefty shot of vodka to get a "head start." Then a few shots, and a bit in the morning for the shakes.

Now I have wine in the house that I serve to guests (last of my collection, I doubt I'll buy more), can be out with people drinking, and even go wine tasting with friends (designated driver, no drinking at all) and not be tempted in any of these situations to drink wine.

But have an open bottle of booze in front of me or in the house and my AV starts screaming. Strange, I don't associate wine or beer with drinking alcoholically, but with hard liquor, it's ON.

Of course I drink nothing. To me addiction is a disease, but with a very easy treatment as long as you're 100% compliant. Don't drink or use. Ever. Moderation is just a constant negotiation with my substance, and I will always lose.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That's a damned good plan
Old 03-07-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That's all I ever drank and drink it I did. I certainly kept the bartenders at my side of the bar. I put em down faster than just about anyone. Now that you mention it I always looked at the rest of the crew who'd take shots with their beers as being alcoholic material and that I wasn't as bad. Didn't matter that I drank twice the beer they did 😒