Notices

Suggestions on "staying busy"

Old 03-06-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Suggestions on "staying busy"

I am already a gym member, but I feel like I need something that is more of a hobby.
I work 9am - 5pm so it would have to be something that can be done after that.
I DO NOT have a lot of money to put into this.
I don't think I'm ready to join a team sport yet.

I kind of like the idea of hula hoop class or something like that....
any other ideas?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lately I have been relaxing at night with coloring books. That was a craze for awhile - the grown-up coloring books, but I have rediscovered it because there is something very meditative and zenlike about just going to town with my colored pencils. You could probably pick up a coloring book and pencils at the dollar store or Target or something for really cheap. You don't need the fanciest materials, you could even find some free things to print from the Internet.

Also, I clean out and and organize drawers and closets. Keeps me busy AND pays off in neatness points!
Old 03-06-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love crafting so I always have some kind of work going...knitting/crochet, painting, jewelry making. I read. And frankly, I watch more than my share of cheesy TV at night.

I have a dog so we walk, hike, go to dog parks. As the weather gets nicer and days get longer we do that.

I go to AA meetings. I never have to be alone unless I choose to. And I often choose to I'm one of those people that worries I am TO satisfied just chilling out. I am never bored. I guess I choose not to be.

Meetups. They are awesome. I belong to a Buddhist meetup that meets at different meditation places and dharma centers. I belong to a 12 step yoga group...yes, its a thing. There are literally 100's of options. And I don't go enough.....but that's a different thread.

Phoenix Multisport, Recovery strong. Or if you're not in the US basically google sober workout groups.

Yep classes. There are soooo many options. I really want to take a painting class.....but, that's another thread

Learning to be a human 'being' rather than a human 'doing' has helped me learn to be good with simply relaxing. I'm grateful I actually can!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is a great read if you are looking for something "to do". Your addiction would love to have you believe that there is nothing to do, thereby allowing it to creep back into your life and suggest a drink to keep you busy.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)
Old 03-06-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Staying busy is great but noone can be busy 24/7 so it makes sense to have a plan to deal with the nuts and bolts of not drinking too - like cravings, dealing with emotions, peer pressure, boredom etc.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

D
Old 03-06-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Staying busy is great but noone can be busy 24/7 so it makes sense to have a plan to deal with the nuts and bolts of not drinking too - like cravings, dealing with emotions, peer pressure, boredom etc.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

D
This is great. Something else I will have to email to myself. Lot's of gems. I am so far behind on errands and stuff at this stage that is enough to keep me busy.

I felt so good doing the basics like dealing with car registration issues and getting a large refund that was owed to me.

Tomorrow, I feel like I want to attach writing some letters to my creditors for an error that was there fault that I missed being zoned out.

I think I will slowly declutter, maybe a section at a time.

You are already a part of a gym.

You could try going to those cheap movie theaters to have something to do.

I like cooking and plan to do more intricate recipes but I know that isn't for everyone.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You could volunteer at your local food bank or animal shelter >^..^<

I would also recommend that you look up mindfulness and meditations on youtube if you are so inclined. I know that it has helped me personally a LOT not only in my recovery but with life in general.