Notices

Withdrawls??

Old 03-05-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawls??

So I have been binging for a few weeks.

I don't really know exactly why but I have been on a self sabotage mission and really drinking too much. It is always too much but this was really too much.

I had been sober prior.

Now I wake up and I am not usually having shakes but i do start to vomit around noon

I am wondering if it is withdrawls. I do have a stomach ailment but the last time I stopped drinking I remembered this but thought it was something else. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this.

I had some hand shaking this morning which has happened before. I took some xanax and went to yoga and it seemed to be much better.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Difficult for us to ascribe anything to withdrawal as we're not doctors

Withdrawals do tend to get worse the more years we drink tho - it's called 'kindling' so this time might be worse than previous times?

D
Old 03-05-2018, 11:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The shakes are to do with the cerebellum.
And drinking on empty stomach can bring on alcoholic dementia.
I was told to take vitamin B1 ( thaimin) whilst I was withdrawing.
Can’t remember the full details but I think it helps maintain the layer that protects the nervous system . Ask your doctor about getting some.

Don’t want to frighten you but shakes can become permanent if you keep repeating your cycle.

Take care be kind to yourself.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
Can’t remember the full details but I think it helps maintain the layer that protects the nervous system . Ask your doctor about getting some.

Don’t want to frighten you but shakes can become permanent if you keep repeating your cycle.

I dunno Snowy....if drinking on an empty stomach gave you alcoholic dementia, I'd be well and truly demented by now, cos I rarely drank on a full stomach - less buzz that way....

There does seem to be some correlation with a lack of vitamin B and 'wet brain' but whether someone has it or not, and whether the shakes are the DTs or not, is best left to a doctor

D
Old 03-06-2018, 12:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was told to take b1 as well as a few other vitamins the last time down this road. Thank you for the reminder.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never had the shakes, but I did manage to give myself Type 1 Diabetes, though wrecking my pancreas. Much better to stop x
Old 03-06-2018, 12:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wont be able to see a doctor but I was just curious is anyone had the vomiting experience during a detox. 3 days and daily yoga usually helps and regulates my blood pressure. I just want this to be THE END of this cycle.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

HI
Pinkpanter,

For my stomach issue from alcohol, I take pariet and Gaviscon and this has helped with nausea, with alcohol we burn the lining of our stomachs.I also take probiotics, bone broth, green juice and B vitamin to help restore a healthy gut and this has helped with withdrawals also.I would also say a visit to the doctor to arrange an endoscopy to rule out an ulcer would be no harm.Good luck with your recovery.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
I never had the shakes, but I did manage to give myself Type 1 Diabetes, though wrecking my pancreas. Much better to stop x
I am sorry to hear that. Is that something that can be managed. I feel like I am on the edge of health complications so I really want to get things managed.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jhonnyspa View Post
HI
Pinkpanter,

For my stomach issue from alcohol, I take pariet and Gaviscon and this has helped with nausea, with alcohol we burn the lining of our stomachs.I also take probiotics, bone broth, green juice and B vitamin to help restore a healthy gut and this has helped with withdrawals also.I would also say a visit to the doctor to arrange an endoscopy to rule out an ulcer would be no harm.Good luck with your recovery.
I have had stomach issues for years and now I suppose I know why. My doc at the time said when I was having the issues drinking was like putting kerosene on my stomach.

I have a prescription nausea pill I probably need to take that as soon as I wake up. The gastro doc suggested a probiotic and I have been telling myself I was going to start my green juice again. I have the b vitamins, I just need to take them. AND go to my meetings.

Thank you all!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Pinkpanter,

Well, it sounds like you know what to do, but I know how hard it is to do all these things at once. You will get there step by step.We are all here for you.Yes the stomach issue can be managed and is fine once I stop drinking and eating the right foods makes a world of difference.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would say it was withdrawals. Personally, I would get them around 11 or 12.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Thiamine deficiency causes beri-beri in non-drinkers as well as "wet brain" in drinkers.

Thiamine is crucial. However, if you're vomiting and have gastritis, your body isn't going to absorb much of the substance. As soon as you can keep food down take start taking high potency b-complex.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Drinking also alters the your ph level.
That’s when you get acid reflux.
Dry vomiting/retching is common in withdrawal.

The body and brain will level out if you give it time to heal.
After all we aren’t as indistructable as we might like to think we are.

Small steps, onward and upward
You can do it.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Thiamine deficiency causes beri-beri in non-drinkers as well as "wet brain" in drinkers.

Thiamine is crucial. However, if you're vomiting and have gastritis, your body isn't going to absorb much of the substance. As soon as you can keep food down take start taking high potency b-complex.
Oddly I got through this morning with some slight gag after taking a sip of water. I took several B complex vitamins, garlic, e and something else. I forced myself to go to the Smart Recovery meeting although I was feeling sluggish. I loved the meeting and for some reason I feel very clear and focused. I can't really imagine vitamins working quite so fast but I haven't felt like this is a long time.

Like I am just looking for errands to do.

I have another AA meeting tonight because for my program Smart Recovery doesn't count and a yoga class. Hopefully that will have me tired enough to just want to watch a little TV and go to bed.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

B1 helped my mood and helped me lots to focus on my recovery whilst still doing my job.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Drinking also alters the your ph level.
That’s when you get acid reflux.
Alcohol also directly irritates your stomach lining.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Alcohol also directly irritates your stomach lining.
I have had gastro issues that were possibly inevitable but certainly aggravated by drinking. This nausea was from not drinking but in the past I suffered from drinking while having gastro flare ups.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

B1 helped my mood and helped me lots to focus on my recovery whilst still doing my job.
Today was a good day. I asked my herbalist about the B1 and she said it could have an immediate effect she suggested a complex which I also happened to have on hand.

I feel a little warm but that could be possibly because I had soup. I will try not to ever go a day with out that combination and I know the garlic lowers blood pressure.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinkPanther08 View Post
I have had stomach issues for years and now I suppose I know why. My doc at the time said when I was having the issues drinking was like putting kerosene on my stomach.

I have a prescription nausea pill I probably need to take that as soon as I wake up. The gastro doc suggested a probiotic and I have been telling myself I was going to start my green juice again. I have the b vitamins, I just need to take them. AND go to my meetings.

Thank you all!
One of the best parts of sobriety is a solid BM