Notices

Holy IOP group meetings batman!

Old 03-07-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aprilntex View Post
I haven't tried AA. I'm going to try out a Refuge Recovery meeting this weekend. Their program is meditation and mindfulness. Things based off buddhist practice. Did some research on AA and I'm not sure I like the idea of the 12 steps. I definitely plan to give that a try though since I'm open to finding a long term support even once I complete the IOP.
When I was involved in an IOP program, also attended two or three AA meetings each week. The IOP program covered many things, not just addiction. Going to meetings seemed to round things out for me. John
Old 03-07-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
april,good on ya for starting something to help your recovery.
what seriously caught my attention is I really don't think group sessions are for me
after one session???? how can you know something will work better when youve only been to one session? shouldnt you give it a chance?
why not bring up your concerns with the people running the program? ask them what the benefits are going to be?
Yep, I agree with you on that. I'm definitely going to give it a chance. Those were my initially feelings after my first session. I am planning on speaking to the therapist assigned to me on Friday.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
99% of the time 90% of the people in IOPs are not there of their own volition. That's what makes them seem wasteful. And usually it's the kids in for opiates who are the disruptive or uncooperative types. Then you have you DUI mandates, etc. If you could find a group with people who actually want to be there, it would be much better and the time would fly. But as with most things - if you are in America - the choice is not yours if insurance is paying for it. Or there may be few options.
Holy crap, you totally nailed my group! Besides me, there was one other person there on his own terms. I have decent insurance it just seems the options are limited. I found a facility in an upscale community that seemed like they had a program fit to where I am in my life but they weren't in network with my insurance. So frustrating!
Old 03-07-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

After reading so many posts that described their experiences, I feel pretty lucky I was in the IOP program I was. Almost everybody there was there voluntarily. There were a few people that were in the military that were required to be there but that was it. The people there seemed motivated to get the most out of the sessions.
I should add that this Program was not a continuation for people just out of rehab. Been to those and that was a whole different story. They were required by the courts or maybe their employers to be there. Waste of time. John
Old 03-07-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I haven't tried AA. I'm going to try out a Refuge Recovery meeting this weekend. Their program is meditation and mindfulness. Things based off buddhist practice. Did some research on AA and I'm not sure I like the idea of the 12 steps. I definitely plan to give that a try though since I'm open to finding a long term support even once I complete the IOP.
I HAVE to attend AA but I prefer SMART and will just go on my own not for what is being mandated because ultimately I want something that is going to work.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Exactly me2. The center where I was attending AA meetings (GLBTA) also has a refuge recovery meeting every day at noon. I've been putting off RR and need to investigate. Plus free/small donation.

I've called all of the programs in my area and they all have the same hours for their IOP programs. When I called initially to find a program, I didn't ask how their meetings are structured. Maybe the time wouldn't be so bad if it were structured differently.
If you're not that into AA, also check to see what the basis is for the IOP. Many of them are heavily 12 Step based. My inpatient was 12 Step, so I wanted something different for my IOP, which was largely cognitively based, like SMART.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Holy crap, you totally nailed my group! Besides me, there was one other person there on his own terms. I have decent insurance it just seems the options are limited. I found a facility in an upscale community that seemed like they had a program fit to where I am in my life but they weren't in network with my insurance. So frustrating!
Aprilntex,
It took over a year for me to realize how fortunate I'd been ( dumb luck, actually ), ....... experiencing such depth of knowledge in the AA meetings I first attended in 89' . You may be able to inquire at the facility you mention ^ ,...... about an AA group they would suggest .