Notices

Urge/craving journal?

Old 03-05-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Urge/craving journal?

I was at a meeting and the facilitator suggested keeping an urge or craving journal. You basically write down every time you have an urge to drink (or whatever your addiction is), reflect on what caused the urge, how long it lasted, what you did to get through it, etc.

Has anyone done this? If so, did you find it helpful?

Thanks, JT
Old 03-05-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

journaling cravings (or spending habits, moods, etc.)--the logic goes--allows a person to look back at week's end and assess the days and times when the craving occurred. It's supposed to allow the writer to observe patterns; by observing patterns, one becomes more aware of the cravings. Increased awareness (theoretically and practically) allows a person to alter his/her situation/perception/behavior, thereby defeating or preempting the craving/urge. So the theory goes at least.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thx Daredevil, that's what I figured. I'm curious to know if anyone has used this technique successfully.. Thanks again
Old 03-05-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JayTee33 View Post
Thx Daredevil, that's what I figured. I'm curious to know if anyone has used this technique successfully.. Thanks again
I'm around 13-14 mo and have used this to get here. I also use everything I can get my hands on nowadays. Not for fear of relapse,but because "why not?".. I'd rather have a 240pc tool set than a 120pc, at least that's the way I look at it. Seriously though..write down your monthly drinking habit(s)/lifestyle, what dumb crap did you do(this time),how much did you spend,ect..? and add it all up..it's crazy!
Old 03-05-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks DontRemember, I agree, I'm trying to add as many tools as I can to my arsenal. This one seemed like it might be helpful. I think I'll give it a go. Also, congrats on being 14 months sober!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've done this, but if I'm craving, the last thing I'll do is run to my journal to find the page about how I feel when I'm craving. Maybe if you make it a rule to hit up your crave management tab when you want a drink, it could be beneficial.

What does help me is to write about positive things I'm noticing. You have to seek them out in the beginning. I get mind blocks and memory issues a bit early on, but also sometimes improves in those 'tip of the tongue moments'. I'm generally clumsier for a couple weeks, but strangely luckier with the outcome of little things.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sobersolstice, thanks - I like that idea too. I intend to start a gratitude journal which is kind of the same idea. Sometimes it's hard to find the positive, but it does help for sure.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I would write down the 5 worst things that would happen to me if I didn't drink.

It wasn't the resulting list I benefited from. It was the effort of writing. Writing is a cognitive act. Craving is all about feeling. Writing enabled me to create space around my crave, separate it from me, and examine it instead of reacting to it.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's a good point nonsensical and it's not one I thought of before - it's the act of writing that's important. Thanks for that, I'll take it to heart.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Out of all the things I’ve tried; a journal, was the only thing that really worked.