Notices

I'm a 24 year old alcoholic

Old 03-05-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It would be a great story to hear you "got it" about alcohol at a young age, I hope that will be the case for you! You can have a wonderful life, sober, and I hope you do. So many of us went down the path-of-destruction slowly, lost everything, have nothing left but to rebuild. What's worse than a young drunk is an old drunk with lots of regrets.

Sobriety is yours if you want it. Good decision to lock the liquor up. Better than that is just don't have it in the house. Hopefully your BF in being supportive will also abstain. Best of life to you dear Natasha!
Old 03-05-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladysadie View Post
It would be a great story to hear you "got it" about alcohol at a young age, I hope that will be the case for you! You can have a wonderful life, sober, and I hope you do. So many of us went down the path-of-destruction slowly, lost everything, have nothing left but to rebuild. What's worse than a young drunk is an old drunk with lots of regrets.

Sobriety is yours if you want it. Good decision to lock the liquor up. Better than that is just don't have it in the house. Hopefully your BF in being supportive will also abstain. Best of life to you dear Natasha!
Thank you. I was supposed to quit drinking in December when I got my DUI but right after that my boyfriend decided to put a bar in our basement. And I just couldn't do it. It was new and a fun thing to have. And it was completely stocked with a beer fridge. Like way too tempting. Then I thought again I could just have a couple of drinks. But a couple drink lead into way more and way to often. I don't think I will be strong enough for that again, at least for a while. I need to overcome this now otherwise I will end up ruining my life.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natasha1994 View Post
Thank you. I was supposed to quit drinking in December when I got my DUI but right after that my boyfriend decided to put a bar in our basement. And I just couldn't do it. It was new and a fun thing to have. And it was completely stocked with a beer fridge. Like way too tempting. Then I thought again I could just have a couple of drinks. But a couple drink lead into way more and way to often. I don't think I will be strong enough for that again, at least for a while. I need to overcome this now otherwise I will end up ruining my life.
Just a tip from someone who has used everything under the sun to realize my past drinking. There will never be a perfect time to quit. There will always be vacations, weekends, and special events.

I made excuses for 20 years.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome Natasha
I think your amazing
Only took me 30 years to realise what you have now
30 years of waste
I look forward to hearing from you
I like you am not a nice girl when drink takes over it changed me completely
Well done you
Will be thinking about you
Caralara ❤️
Old 03-06-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caralara144 View Post
Welcome Natasha
I think your amazing
Only took me 30 years to realise what you have now
30 years of waste
I look forward to hearing from you
I like you am not a nice girl when drink takes over it changed me completely
Well done you
Will be thinking about you
Caralara ❤️
Thank you so much.
Alcohol can bring out the worst in people and I wish I could be a social drinker but that will never happen. Good luck on your journey, I will be thinking of you as well <3
Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
Well there's good news and bad news.

The bad news is welcome to the club.

The good news is you came to this realization at a young age. Take this opportunity and make use of it, instead of wasting years drinking like I and many others here did.

Listen to the people around here with experience and make a plan to stay sober.

Good luck to you!
Agreed. Count your blessings that nothing undoable has happened. You are very young and can rewrite your script any way you dream to
Old 03-06-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

As a 37 year old woman let me tell you this, please STOP drinking. You will be so happy you did! You don't want to look back and say wow where did the last 15-20 years go! I don't even know how so many years have slipped by while i drank. I wish i would have realized i had a problem at 24, and let me tell you i did but i am oblivious at the time. I wish you tons of luck. Keep posting here. I say that because as long as i am posting i stay sober, when i stop posting i start drinking.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letsdance View Post
As a 37 year old woman let me tell you this, please STOP drinking. You will be so happy you did! You don't want to look back and say wow where did the last 15-20 years go! I don't even know how so many years have slipped by while i drank. I wish i would have realized i had a problem at 24, and let me tell you i did but i am oblivious at the time. I wish you tons of luck. Keep posting here. I say that because as long as i am posting i stay sober, when i stop posting i start drinking.
Thank you. Being on here is helping me a lot. It’s so hard because there is a ton of weddings coming up that involve booze. And music festivals. And a bunch of things going on in the summer. I wish I had the capacity to just be a social drinker, but I don’t. I don’t know why I am the way I am. But I know I need to stop now before it gets worse and harder to stop.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are still weddings and concerts and paeruies in my life, but now I'm a nin drinker.

I had to put clear distance between me and my old life for a llittle while tho.

I didn't go to things where I knew alcohol would be a main, or prominent feature.

I didn't stay home tho - I went to movies, coffee dates, walks, picnics...anything where I was reasonably sure was a sober event.

After a few months I knew that I wanted to be over more than anything else, and I gradually widened the things I went to again.

D