Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Every time you wake up after drinking, you are physically, mentally, spiritually, financially worse

Notices

Every time you wake up after drinking, you are physically, mentally, spiritually, financially worse

Old 03-05-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

off than you were if you had not abused the drug in the first place. (Jason Vale).

Just reread Vale's book on quitting booze. So much good practical advice and perspective in there.

Love that line above on my 27th day today.

Also love the idea of "starving the disease" that Vale talks about. My way of thinking about that idea is that yes, we are all afflicted with this disease of alcohol abuse, but we need not feel as if we are always depriving ourselves of something. Rather we are depriving our disease of what it wants - and what it wants has long since provided us with anything but pain.

So to starve the disease is to take control of the thing that was controlling us. Rather than feed it, we starve it and let it wither and die. Obviously this still requires vigilance and attention.

Today the metaphor is working for me.

No one is coming to save me.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"No one is coming to save me."

You're right on about that. I have found a lot of comfort in the Rational Recovery direction, namely "Rational Recovery does not regard alcoholism as a disease, but rather a voluntary behavior." Reading about RR has added a new dimension to my life where I no longer feel powerless, that my actions are up to me to choose.

I hope you can stay strong. It feels so good to get sober time in my life. Things do get better if you let them. It doesn't make problems go away but you CAN deal with things easier than before.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery says the same thing, except it's starving the Booze Beast, not the disease, since RR doesn't believe addiction is a disease. But, yes! Starve IT.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
Rational Recovery says the same thing, except it's starving the Booze Beast, not the disease, since RR doesn't believe addiction is a disease. But, yes! Starve IT.
I've read Trimpey's RR book. Loved it. Wish is was in Kindle.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep starve it by feeding your sobriety.
Well done on 27 days LG